Mental Barrier For 2k Testing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Josh

Training

Post by [old] Josh » July 20th, 2004, 7:56 pm

During my past two attempts at chasing a new PR for the 2k I have found myself stopping midway through. Ill be doing real well and I feel that I can physically get the time I am aiming for but I just lose all motivation in the middle and just dont want to move on to the second half of the race. I think this could be because a few weeks ago I received a PR in a 2k test but i wound up going so fast in the beginning that the last 700 meters or so were hell to keep up. It was so bad that my stomach actually felt sick for the rest of the week. Im not sure why im stopping now. Has this happened to anyone before? Should I maybe start working in shorter and faster pieces like 8x500 and 4x1000 into my workout plan to get used to the feelings I will get in the race?<br><br>By the way im 16 years old and im erging and testing my 2k times because I want to improve my time as much as possible for competitions in the winter.

[old] remador

Training

Post by [old] remador » July 21st, 2004, 6:31 am

Hi, Josh<br>I was a rower for about 6 years, then I left rowing. Ten years later, I came back, and now I am trying to achieve competitive status as a master, or even senior (I am 30 years old, now). My goal is to get into a 4 - shell.<br>My point is that when I came back to rowing, some months ago, I gave up frequently my workouts while erging. In fact, I could not stand the fact that I was no longer as strong and resistant as I was 10 years before. <br>However, I trained hard and, now, I can make any of my workouts with no problems.<br>From what I have experienced, I think this is a matter of self-confidence. So, think positive, man, and, during the 2k testing, let not those negative thoughts take over your mind. Think of yourself as a wonderful machine, or so.<br><br>Keep rowing,<br>AM<br>

[old] Sentinal93

Training

Post by [old] Sentinal93 » July 21st, 2004, 10:38 am

I know exactly what you're talking about when you just stop. I have had a difficult time recently finishing my hour pieces, I guess it's just because they're so long. During the academic year I row with my college team, but over the summer I go to the local gym and erg by myself. It's always tougher to finish your pieces when you have no one else rowing with you. I find that if I take a day off before I do my timed piece, then I'm well rested and don't have to worry about becoming worn out too fast. But the motivation factor is difficult, it's easy to stop when you have no one pushing you. Personally, I listen to music on my headphones while I erg. Linkin Park or other heavy metalish/hard rock music usually give me the attitude to keep rowing. Maybe it's because it is "angry music" as many people call it, but I guess it makes me angry at myself for thinking about wanting to give in.

[old] michaelb

Training

Post by [old] michaelb » July 21st, 2004, 10:51 am

I think there is a good argument that a 2k time trial on a rowing machine is one of the hardest single events in sports. You are staring at a computer that measures your performance to the split second; there are no other variables like wind, or hills, or other races to affect you in any way; it is far too long to sprint, but you have to go far too fast to settle into any kind of pace. As a former swimmer, the 200m butterfly is harder, but then only a few swimmers can even finish that distance, where as almost anyone can row a 2k; the only question is how fast can you go.<br><br>The mental barrier is that you need to row at the outer margin of your physical ability; a little too slow and you aren't challenging yourself; too fast and you blow up with 700m left. But they all hurt very badly, so you need the mental confidence that you can handle that pace regardless of what happens in the race.<br><br>I would stop rowing 2k time trials for now, and say focus on your 5k or longer distances; and get them down considerably, then work on speed with shorter intervals (500s and 1000s) then retest the 2k. So take at least 3 months off and then try again.

[old] remador

Training

Post by [old] remador » July 21st, 2004, 11:42 am

I just cannot agree with michaelb when he compares swimming and rowing. I think that the oxygen consumption values and the lactic acid rates in a 2k rowing regatta are there to say to what point rowing is harder. <br><br>On the other hand, I think that only psychologically the erg is more demanding than a boat race (and those factors which are not present in the erg room, such as wind, may be interesting to observe, if you have to row 2k against it in a single scull... it's not for any stomach). In fact, I argue that rowing in a racing shell forces you to use a lot more of muscles (try to rotate the oars 220-250 times when your body is near its limits, and your forearm will really be in pain) you don't use while erging, and with proper technique. Finally, it is a differente kind of effort you do on a single-scull or in a 8+... while in the 1x you have to pull very, very hard at a slower rate, in a 8+ you will have to pull less weight, but at an amazing speed and high racing rate. In both cases, if it's really competitive, you may not be able to put yourself standing for a while...<br><br> Keep rowing,<br>AM

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » July 22nd, 2004, 11:33 am

I don't agree that they all hurt really badly, if you are trained and have a plan that you can row to, then it is not too bad, I think you can row the 1850 of a 2k comfortably then put yourself into oxygen debt fot the last 150 and bury yourself. that last 150 will and should hurt but it's a small price to pay for a pb or pr.

[old] Josh

Training

Post by [old] Josh » July 22nd, 2004, 12:04 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a long time to work this out so I know I can do it.

[old] Phil

Training

Post by [old] Phil » July 22nd, 2004, 3:27 pm

Roy: there is no way you should be able to row the first 1850m of your 2km comfortably. Even with a very odd definition of "comfortable", you should be decidedly uncomfortable well before this point.

[old] eurofoot13

Training

Post by [old] eurofoot13 » July 23rd, 2004, 8:27 am

this happened to me as well, I blew up on 4 out of the last 6 2K tests that I've done. something happened to pull me out of my mental zone, and bam, split shot up, I tired, it was over. After the first one, I found it really hard to get back on the erg. I guess I felt ashamed or something, so I just rowed an 8:00 2k, finished, then the next day got back on and even splitted my pr. honestly, a pr effort is 90% mental, besides, you know that you could have gone faster had you not done the "fly and die" in your last 2K, so just hop on, and row.<br><br>that and 1850m comfortably? can I have your legs? I get lactic acid after 300 down.

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » July 23rd, 2004, 12:01 pm

Phil,<br> When I did my last pb for the 2k at manchester, I was using a plan devised by PeteM for the race and the first 1500 metres were an absolute pleasure, no feeling of wanting to handle down or quit as there usually were. Unfortunately I started to sprint from 500m out and blew up 100m later and grovelled in to 6.43.9 a small pb. <br><br>from this I learnt not to go too early, if I had waited a 6.40 was on the cards. Oh well roll on the next time.

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » July 24th, 2004, 12:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Josh+Jul 21 2004, 11:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Josh @ Jul 21 2004, 11:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Should I maybe start working in shorter and faster pieces like 8x500 and 4x1000 into my workout plan to get used to the feelings I will get in the race? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Josh, I dont think it is shorter pieces that 'prepare' you mentally for a 2k it is longer pieces. It is the last 'k' of a 5k or 10k where you have pushed the whole way and now you have to dig deep not just to hold the pace but pick it up to finish strong. This is where mental toughness comes in for me. <br><br>An 8 x 500 is tough physically if the rests are short and intensity high but mentally they are a breeze as even when you get to the last one you are coming off a rest (may not feel like one) and facing a relatively short blast.

[old] Phil

Training

Post by [old] Phil » July 24th, 2004, 5:54 am

Roy: ah, I see you're using a *very* odd definition of "comfortable", then! You're "comfortable" when you're not contemplating quitting! <br><br>Good luck for next time; your current training is completely putting mine to shame and I have no problems breaking 6.40 (at least I hope I wouldn't!).

[old] Ash

Training

Post by [old] Ash » July 24th, 2004, 6:20 am

I usually feel uncomfortable from about the 10th stroke, very uncomfortable after the 500 mark and pretty much almost unconsious with pain by 300m to go, then i go faster....

[old] Phil

Training

Post by [old] Phil » July 24th, 2004, 6:41 am

I'm about the same. The massive lactate shock comes after 200-300m.