N.a.t.e. (it's Not About The Erg) Team

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] cwcesario

First Virtual Team Challenge

Post by [old] cwcesario » January 9th, 2006, 8:53 pm

Thanks David and Dougie and Grams and Erika for the helpful input. You all are helping turn a bummer of a work day (11 hrs) around!<br /><br />Jeff, Awesome job getting under 8, I'm happy for you. I think it's a great time for 6 weeks at it. I've been sticking to distance for now, but dreaming of the sprints in the months to come. Thanks for the inspiration! (Good luck on the PM3 problem) <br /><br />Congratulations on getting back at it Erika. A saying I like that might apply to your idea of wimpy numbers is "thou shalt not SHOULD on thyself!". There's time for more. Thanks for pacing info, I find it really helpful. <br /> <br />Gene, you are an icon, a man who can know toddler socks and teach elementary. We need you so much, thanks! Did you use the handwriting without tears method on those small blackboards? (I actually prefer chalk dust to white board marker odor!) Thanks for the heads up on the HC t's, some sizes were backordered so I'm still waiting, it will be fun. <br /><br />Grams, your visualization is so great, thanks. Your energy seems to be cycling in your team photo too, what a great smile you have! I think your husband at 148 and being a serious biking guy means he is just all steel cable! Kind of person I want on my team. BTW, the big trees (like your ex) are easier to knock down if you aim low, and they fall hard! Glad to hear he bounced and came to aikido with you, what a great story. <br /><br />Gotta run, trombone practice starting in this room!<br />Crane

[old] wellborn

Post by [old] wellborn » January 9th, 2006, 9:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jschuman+Jan 9 2006, 06:59 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jschuman @ Jan 9 2006, 06:59 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just wanted to add my accomplishment from this weekend:<br /><br />I rowed my first-ever sub-8:00 2000m (7:53.5 to be exact).  I realize that probably isn't much of an accomplishment, but I was pretty happy!  Been rowing for about a month and a half but I think I'm on the right track.  My SPM hovered around 25 for the row, but I definitely dipped down to 21-22 at points (that's when I am usually trying to "change things up" and pull harder-slower).<br /><br />Anyway, just wanted to share.  My goal for 2006 is to get into the top 50% in the rankings for a majority of my ranked pieces.  I'm nowhere close (even this 7:53 2000m only puts me at 71%), but I feel like I'm on my way.<br /><br />Jeff <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Jeff,<br /><br />Congratulations! My best 2K is about 7:57 (don't remember exactly, as it's been over 6 months at least since I did it). On most of my rankings, I hover between the 70-75% mark. I wish they were faster, but I'll take what I can get. I think last season I actually got into the 50's for my best 30 minute piece. <br /><br />I haven't tried to better any of my personal bests since June, but I am on vacation for the month of February so I think I will "put the pedal to the metal" then (What would be the appropriate rowing metaphor?).<br /><br />Anyway, you sound like you are well on your way to moving up in the rankings if you only a month-and-a-half into the sport of indoor rowing. Glad you're on our team this month!<br /><br />Gene

[old] grams

Post by [old] grams » January 9th, 2006, 10:44 pm

Jeff: My (first) PM3 got really flaky a while ago, especially with my log card. My fix was to slide a business card into the slot behind my log card. It just wasn't making contact inside properly.<br /><br />Concept2 replaced the PM3 at no charge and the new one is fine.<br /><br />Sub 8 is not even on my horizon-if I ever do an 8:45 I will be very happy. That's why I like the rankings and Nonathlon; I don't feel so bad when I check out my peers. Except for the 60yo lightweight lady who has the world record for our age group. 7:31!!<br /><br />grams

[old] erikajas

Post by [old] erikajas » January 9th, 2006, 11:42 pm

Ugh. Made it through 10,000. Barely. I skipped lunch and bonked at 6000. Only made it through the rest of it because of the Challenge. Thanks guys...I think! I'll have to see how these blisters fare at work tomorrow.<br /><br />Anybody have favorite high energy foods that are quick snacks when you just can't grab a meal? I used to eat a ton of peanut butter but this is not so portable (or necessarily healthy). Power bars and the like just don't hold me for very long. I'm trying desparately to stay away from my old friend the vending machine where my beloved pop tarts and cheez-its reside. Any thoughts?<br /><br />--Erika

[old] grams

Post by [old] grams » January 10th, 2006, 2:11 pm

I keep some glucose 'pills' next to my erg and have one at 20 mins, another at 30 and another at 40. They keep me from bonking. You can get them in drug stores in the diabetic or energy food section. <br /><br />Snack food: I makea dringk afterwards of gelatin (sprinkled in a little cold water ina glass and then add hot water and and some fruit juice concentrate. It provides a little protein and some natural energy. I nurse it throughout the afternoon. You could make yourself some healthy jello with fruit and/or veggies in it.<br /><br />grams

[old] jschuman

Post by [old] jschuman » January 10th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Somewhat of a resolution on my PM3 problem: <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... st&p=49990' target='_blank'>Here</a>

[old] oakydaisy

Post by [old] oakydaisy » January 10th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Grams, thanks for the advice on dragfactor! finally figured out how to check it, and it was only 93. made a change on the damper and made good progress today. before, i felt like i couldn't row any faster but my times stank. now i know that you can row slower, but harder, which just *feels* better on my body...<br /><br />seems like when you need to row for stress reduction, there is less and less time for it. i recently accepted a job promotion that will start next week. but tying up loose ends at my old position is starting to look harder than i thought it would be. i may end up having to work both jobs for a while, and the thought alone makes me want to pull my hair out!...<br /><br />erika- for a quick snack i love the flavored tuna pouches. one brand has this awesome sweet and spicy flavor. and, since it's in a pouch, you can carry it and open it anywhere. i keep a pouch in my desk drawer and in my bag. in desperation, i'll eat it right out of the pouch, but it's great in wrap or on a bed of spinach. don't forget a plastic fork..<br /><br />anyway, thanks for all the helpful suggestions, this team is really making my life easier...<br />oakydaisy

[old] woolsmith

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 10th, 2006, 9:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jschuman+Jan 10 2006, 05:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jschuman @ Jan 10 2006, 05:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Somewhat of a resolution on my PM3 problem: <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... st&p=49990' target='_blank'>Here</a> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks for the update, Jeff! Those darn ol' battery gremlins strike again, hey? <br /><br />I was wondering how to tell that the batteries are dying? Seems like when I check the status of the batteries, it never goes below 83% on the PM3, but then "boom," they unexpectedly croak. The last couple of times ago, I got a low battery warning, but last week I didn't--just nothing when I pulled the handle. Changed the batteries, and everything was fine. Am I missing something, or should I just check more often?<br /><br />Thanks!<br />--Jen

[old] Citroen

Post by [old] Citroen » January 11th, 2006, 9:12 am

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Jan 11 2006, 01:59 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Jan 11 2006, 01:59 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Am I missing something, or should I just check more often?<br /><br />Thanks!<br />--Jen <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Have you upgraded to V90 of the PM3 firmware?<br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/service/pm3_update.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... ate.asp</a>

[old] woolsmith

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 11th, 2006, 11:24 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 09:12 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 09:12 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Jan 11 2006, 01:59 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Jan 11 2006, 01:59 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Am I missing something, or should I just check more often?<br /><br />Thanks!<br />--Jen <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Have you upgraded to V90 of the PM3 firmware?<br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/service/pm3_update.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... ate.asp</a> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yup, I did. This was the first time the battery ran out since getting the upgrade. Am I supposed to do something differently with the V90 upgrade in regards to checking the battery status? Should I perhaps try re-installing the new version?<br /><br />How far does the battery power go down, and how does this register on the PM3? Does the battery tank faster after it gets below a certain level of power?<br /><br />Thanks for your help!<br />--Jen in WI

[old] Citroen

Post by [old] Citroen » January 11th, 2006, 3:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Jan 11 2006, 03:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Jan 11 2006, 03:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />How far does the battery power go down, and how does this register on the PM3?  Does the battery tank faster after it gets below a certain level of power?<br /><br />Thanks for your help!<br />--Jen in WI <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That's a question that needs to be posted on <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=3' target='_blank'>http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=3</a> where the folks from C2 hang out waiting for questions just like that.

[old] grams

Post by [old] grams » January 12th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Thank heavens for the team! The last couple of days weren't stellar. We are on our 24th straight day of rain (another inch expected tonight), I started our income taxes, and got sick to boot.<br /><br />So, I took a couple of days off. I have proved to myself that its ok to be sick if I am in relatively good shape to start with, as my workout time wasn't any different than before. I probably would have played sick a day or 2 longer if it wasn't for you folks.<br /><br />So, if you get sick-it's ok. Rest up and when you get back on the rower you will do fine.<br /><br />grams

[old] cwcesario

Post by [old] cwcesario » January 12th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Hey grams, <br />thanks for the encouragement -to row, and not to row. I think it is important to figure out where to draw the line with being sick and especially to not work out sometimes.<br />Had a bit of a bummer of a day work-wise, even tho I was telecommuting today. Our daughter fell on black ice this a.m. - coccyx injury - so a side trip to the dr's office and all that. She's a tall thin 10 yr old with no extra padding to land on!<br />Anyway, have done only 17 minutes on the erg so far today, but there's time left to hope!<br />Keep going everyone, pull!<br />take care<br />Crane

[old] erikajas

Post by [old] erikajas » January 13th, 2006, 12:07 am

Grams, good thinking on your part as far as taking some time off when your ill. But make sure you stay hydrated when your sick, especially if you're going to row. <br /><br />And Crane, I hope your daughter is ok. The tailbone can be a painful thing, and frustrating since simple things like sitting are uncomfortable. Donut pillows can be helpful. <br /><br />As for the food ideas, I'm gonna try them. I tried some raisins before my last row thinking they're sort of like glucose pills, but I was still just so hungry I couldn't focus. The protein in jello and tuna might be a helpful thing to stave off the grumbling so I'm liking those ideas. Now if I could just get to the grocery store...<br /><br />You guys are definitely keeping me motivated though. Keep rowing and thanks for all the input.<br /><br />--Erika

[old] loonylady

Post by [old] loonylady » January 13th, 2006, 5:15 pm

Hi,<br /> I think I may be the last N.A.T.E. member to check in. The challenge definitely helps keep me motivated. I usually row about 25-30K a week. I just haven't gotten to the point where I can do 10,000 in a day but that day will come. I agree with another forum post (I forget where I saw it) that said we are all winners just for rowing! The total meters doesn't matter but what is important is that we are all getting some exercise.<br /><br /> Erika, I like to eat celery sticks with cream cheese on them when I get really hungry. If I have some made up, it keeps me out of the cookie jar <br /> Keep up the good work everyone......<br /><br />Carol