Grip Pain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] bcwoehr

Training

Post by [old] bcwoehr » July 15th, 2004, 10:16 pm

I've developed pain in my fingers from my erg. I think it's the tendons, particularly in my middle fingers. I've tried the old handle, the new handle, gripping more in the palm, gripping more in the fingers, thumb under, thumb on top - nothing seems to help. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?<br>Bruce Woehr

[old] Dickie

Training

Post by [old] Dickie » July 16th, 2004, 2:11 pm

If its the middle fingers, It might be Carpal Tunnel. I am not a doctor, but I have been told that the middle fingers are a pretty good indication that this is the problem.

[old] ehagberg

Training

Post by [old] ehagberg » July 16th, 2004, 3:01 pm

There's also the chance it's related to "trigger finger"...<br><br>Is it sometimes hard to curl or straighten your finger? And does it snap through a temporarily stuck position while curling or straightening? If so, that's what trigger finger is like - apparently due to the tendon and sheath responsible for this movement sticking and releasing through the range of motion.<br><br>It isn't related to arthritis or anything like that. And serious cases are handled through cortisone shots or surgery to make the sheath opening wider. Milder cases sometimes just go away on their own - sometimes by reducing the activity that causes the inflamation to occur.<br><br>Then again, you didn't mention the sticking, so it might be completely unrelated.

[old] doc.mark@verizon.net

Training

Post by [old] doc.mark@verizon.net » July 16th, 2004, 3:12 pm

After my first few months I started with something fairly similar. My fingers would just ache, making gripping difficult. What I found worked beautifully was to stop focusing so much on pulling with my arms/hands and began to focus more on contracting the lats and following this contraction with a pulling of the arms and hands. I don't know if it's textbook form or not but my times got a bit faster and the problem is virtually gone.<br><br>Mark