Anyone Got New Training Ideas?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » May 20th, 2004, 4:33 pm

Anyone know of some training ideas that can make the erg fun/interesting/time pass ?<br><br>I'm getting really stale / bored and need some variation.

[old] Janice

Training

Post by [old] Janice » May 20th, 2004, 4:44 pm

How can you get bored rowing infront of a 50" flat screen television?

[old] Rogus

Training

Post by [old] Rogus » May 20th, 2004, 4:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Janice+May 20 2004, 08:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Janice @ May 20 2004, 08:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> How can you get bored rowing infront of a 50" flat screen television? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Janice,<br><br>Remember it's Roy we're talking about!<br><br>Roy,<br><br>Turn it on!

[old] Lee Buckley

Training

Post by [old] Lee Buckley » May 20th, 2004, 4:57 pm

Rogus.<br><br>I do like this new web page, looks like I'll be doing even less work through the day

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » May 20th, 2004, 5:03 pm

Roy how can you be bored ... you do something different everyweek and every day. <br><br>For something different set yourself a training programme and see how many days you can stick to it without becoming side tracked If you want to hit that goal at BIRC it is going to take discipline and structure, (no one questions your effort), these are the price you have to pay if you want that time<br><br>The question you have to ask now is 'do you want to pay that price for the period between now and BIRC' and enjoy the smell of roses afterwards.<br><br>- George

[old] Gary Blackman

Training

Post by [old] Gary Blackman » May 21st, 2004, 4:20 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Lee Buckley+May 20 2004, 08:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Lee Buckley @ May 20 2004, 08:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Rogus.<br><br>I do like this new web page, looks like I'll be doing even less work through the day <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> So that will be none then! <br><br><br>Roy, get a programme and stick to it, just keep imagining all the great times you will get with it, if you keep chopping and changing to be honest, you will find improvements harder to come by

[old] Lee Buckley

Training

Post by [old] Lee Buckley » May 21st, 2004, 4:33 am

I agree Roy, I think you need to see how long you can stick to a programme, surely anything over 5 days will be a pb <br><br>Gary, funny but very true, I must stop using these boards and do some work otherwise the boss of the company will sack me.......oh I am the boss, oh well

[old] Gary Blackman

Training

Post by [old] Gary Blackman » May 21st, 2004, 4:36 am

Like your Taz avatar Lee....you shoud get the Team Oarsome one done, and then we can put it as an image into our signatures for all the members!

[old] Cran

Training

Post by [old] Cran » May 21st, 2004, 4:36 am

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anyone know of some training ideas that can make the erg fun/interesting/time pass ?<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Try rowing naked at the gym...

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » May 21st, 2004, 4:48 am

That is a bad idea Cran, at Roy’s gym!!?? that would VERY embarrassing. It is full of Bay Watch babes.<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Lynn

Training

Post by [old] Lynn » May 21st, 2004, 6:34 am

Roy is so bored he has to come over here and talk to all these new people <br><br>Lee, I have the same problem with my boss, she's a real pain in the proverbial.

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » May 21st, 2004, 9:44 am

Well thanks everyone, you have all been a REAL help

[old] Pete Marston

Training

Post by [old] Pete Marston » May 22nd, 2004, 4:30 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Gary Blackman+May 21 2004, 08:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Gary Blackman @ May 21 2004, 08:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Lee Buckley+May 20 2004, 08:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Lee Buckley @ May 20 2004, 08:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Rogus.<br><br>I do like this new web page, looks like I'll be doing even less work through the day <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>So that will be none then! <br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Just <span style='color:red'>playing</span> <span style='color:blue'>about</span> with the <span style='color:green'>new</span> forum to see what I can do.

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » May 26th, 2004, 4:17 am

Roy--<br><br>I suppose that personal psychologies differ radically, but I think that most burn out in rowing is produced by day after day of time and pace-oriented sessions, in which you are constantly reviewing, assessing, monitoring, and reporting your performance, especially in the off season. The most useful thing for me to keep up my training is a substantial routine of absolutely unconscious, relaxed, and enjoyable physical activity that has nothing to do with time and pace targets. If this activity is substantial and varied, in certain ways, it doesn't even matter what you do with your rowing from day to day. Because of this large foundation of physical activity, you are always improving/maintaining your fitness and therefore anything that you do pulling chains or oars becomes gravy; and if you like rowing, too, it is just more of the same. For this physical actiivity, I like to rotate skipping, stepping, running, biking, swimming, and core work (e.g., sit ups). If you do a couple of hours of these things every day, regardless of pace, progression, plan, etc., you just get fitter and fitter and therefore bring more and more physical resources to your rowing, whatever that might be. Perhaps I am wrong in this, but the intense full-body demands of rowing are met in no better way than by simply upgrading your general fitness. <br><br>I also like to transfer some of this psychology to my rowing. If you have burn out, turn off the PM2. Just row--freely. If you want some loose structure, do fartleks over some distance. If you want some more challenge and interest, work on technique; make each stroke better than the last. But for most of the rowing, just treat it as you would your general fitness work (if you do this, too). Just go with the flow. None of this rowing is a waste (I think), if you just row regularly and you support your rowing with a continual upgrading of your general fitness, in whatever way that might be.<br><br>There is plenty of time, I think, to bear down on intervals and distance trials in the couple of months before competitions. The most important thing for me is the phsyical resources and attitudes that I bring to that pre-race preparation.<br><br>ranger M/53/lwt/6:28 2K

[old] Carl Henrik

Training

Post by [old] Carl Henrik » May 26th, 2004, 4:46 am

Ranger,<br>Apart from the actual sense your post make, it's even harder to disregard with a last line like yours.<br><br>For that relaxed no-burnout, non timed, non paced training, however, I would also recommend some relaxed on water rowing/sculling. There is no PM2 haunting you there, and lot of nice scenery passing you by instead.<br><br>