Runners Thread

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Samroot

General

Post by [old] Samroot » December 8th, 2005, 12:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ancho+Dec 1 2005, 04:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ancho @ Dec 1 2005, 04:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have posted the details of my marathon in the thread <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... entry43007' target='_blank'>"Running A Marathon"</a> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Nice race ancho!<br /><br />It takes a lot to run your first marathon in 3.5 hrs.-particularly on so little road milage. You obviously put the right mix of rowing,erging and running together,and saved your legs for the race.<br /><br />My marathon wasn't quite as sucessful. I got up at 0430 on race day and it was already 71F. The course was two loops along the Indian River in Cocoa Village,FL.<br />We started at 0700 and I settled into a spot on 7:45/mile pace for the first loop. On the second loop an onshore breeze came up,ventilating us nicely on the way out albeit creating a headwind. At 20 miles I still had 47-48 minutes to do the last 10k and get under 3:30. On the way back it felt hot,no breeze and at 23 miles I started slowing down. Just before 25 miles I started walking-I never walk. I felt queezy and hot-not enough fluids and too much Gu. More so I lost mental focus,and just wanted it to be over-thinking about the dog in the car and how my wife made out in the half marathon. She gave that 'look' of the fun has gone out of it and I'm burning up,as I passed her on her way back and my way out. I managed to muster a gimpy run the last 1/2 mile to finish in 3:45:48. It was 78-79F at th finish. A little disappointed but still feeling it was something to build on for Boston in April. As the proverb goes,"Somedays you eat the bear,somedays the bear eats you."<br /><br />A few days before the race I stayed with my brother in a massive retirement complex called 'The Villages',NW of Orlando. My brother is an active masters swimmer and did Ironman Florida last year. He's got quite a nice swimming team,he and his wife workout with. But the overwhelming sport of choice is golf with at least a dozen courses to choose from. There are no sidewalks,just these lanes in the street you have to share with these infernal golf carts that everyone has to get around in. I came very close to having a 'Ratso Rizzo' moment of "Hey I'm walking here!!!" I lusted mightly for the golf courses and the chance to run barefoot. What a complete misuse of a good xc course. I have nothing against golf,I just think,unless disabled,you shouldn't be allowed to use a golf cart. The last straw was seeing some clown walking his dog in the golfcart. The golf carts can go everywhere but you can't walk or run on the golf cart paths. I'd last about 2 weeks before I'd get busted for running barefoot on the golf courses at 0500. I guess its the American version of the active senior life. A vision of my future-NOT!

[old] Jim Barry

General

Post by [old] Jim Barry » December 8th, 2005, 4:18 pm

Sam, Thanks for the report. As I'm learning more and more about running, I'm as interested in the trials of road racing as I am in the successes. As if 26.2 miles is not tough enough you do not need heat to factor in there. Same thing happened in my 3 hr mt bike race this past June. I was proud just to finish, but that was FAR from my goal of top 10%. I've run in and about Cocoa Beach in the winter ( rowed in nearby Winter Park where I went to college). It's usually a treat. No hills, that's for sure! <br /><br />I too see the Golf courses as simply great running courses for the unshod. <br /><br />Best of luck with the build up to Boston. How'd you qualify? I'd imagine this race did it but not sure.

[old] ancho

General

Post by [old] ancho » December 8th, 2005, 8:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Samroot+Dec 8 2005, 05:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Samroot @ Dec 8 2005, 05:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->... I got up at 0430 on race day and it was already  71F. The course was two loops along the Indian River in Cocoa Village,FL.<br />We started at 0700 and I settled into a spot on 7:45/mile pace for the first loop. ..,"Somedays you eat the bear,somedays the bear eats you."<br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks for the report. How can you even think about finishing a marathon getting up at 4:30 (a.m.?!).<br />I think yo ate the bear, keep it on!<br />Tell us about your Boston experience...<br /><br />All the best

[old] Jim Barry

General

Post by [old] Jim Barry » December 19th, 2005, 6:09 pm

Bump (to keep thread alive).<br /><br />Running fires still alive despite a rather infrequent schedule (Once maybe twice a week). Had a 10k threshold/tempo pace run at 7:09/mile yesterday. Just 4 seconds off my best race effort pace set in November. The only thing I can think that is sustaining this progress is the beginner curve which accomodates a generous return from efforts, a.k.a. "any running is good running". <br /><br /> <br /><br />

[old] ancho

General

Post by [old] ancho » December 20th, 2005, 10:24 am

Did 14,5 k running yesterday in about 68 min. <br />I have only ran 3 times after the marathon, but I really felt comfortable. Nevertheless, today my hip hurts...<br />Anyone running a Saint Sylvester race on december 31st?<br />My CEU-colleagues and me will be doing the 10k "Cursa dels nassos" Saint Sylvester race in Barcelona.<br />If you do any, post your results/times, we may do a "parallel ranking"!

[old] Samroot

General

Post by [old] Samroot » December 20th, 2005, 4:58 pm

Jim Barry<br /> I've been meaning to post since last week,but I had to catchup on my bank recs. I've been following your blog,you're running real well. I think your goals are well within reach. Half of it is doing what your doing and going with the flow-learning how to run relaxed. I still think you could accomplish a lot running as little as 3 times a week-a long run,a tempo run and a speed,hill or fartlek session. <br /><br />You rowed for Rollins,if I recall. Its a real nice place to run on the spacecoast. It was a well run race,I'd do it again. My wife and I may go down there again in February to see her aunt and do the Southern Sprints at FIT.<br /><br />One of the 50s runners that finished ahead of me wore a pair of nike mayfly-a minimalist shoe of 5 oz.,that are only supposesd to only have a lifespan of 100k and are hardly meant for a marathon. I ended up not running in the frees since I hadn't worn them for a long run on the road. It confirmed my suspicion that I might also be able to get away with a lot less.<br /><br />I've laid off the running the last 3 weeks,and have been trying to build up an erging base. I've concluded to run faster in 2006,I need to dump some weght,work on core strength,and work on more uptempo 10-15 milers.<br /><br />I qualified for Boston at Boston last year-3:31:09,so I had the luxury of 'running at' Spacecoast if I had the edge.<br /><br />I might try to mix in a erg/treadmill workout.<br /><br /><br />Ancho,<br /><br />Twelve years of catholic school and I didn't know who St. Sylvester was. After googling I take it its a race on the 31st of Dec. I guess some things you just have to come to the forum to finf out.<br /><br /><br />JohnnyB<br /><br /><br />How is your calf strain coming along?<br /><br />I know of two very good runners just in the village where I live-one late 40s the other mid 50s, both with calf strains that had to stop running from any where from 6-12 mos. to let them fully heal. But both of them are back running with no apparent problems now.<br /><br />

[old] johnnybike

General

Post by [old] johnnybike » December 20th, 2005, 7:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Samroot+Dec 20 2005, 03:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Samroot @ Dec 20 2005, 03:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />JohnnyB<br /><br /><br />How is your calf strain coming along?<br /><br />I know of two very good runners just in the village where I live-one late 40s the other mid 50s, both with calf strains that had to stop running from any where from 6-12 mos. to let them fully heal. But both of them are back running with no apparent problems now. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks for asking. I am a bit loathe to try it to be honest but I had planned on doing a couple of miles tomorrow evening just to see how it feels. Will let you know

[old] ancho

General

Post by [old] ancho » January 1st, 2006, 5:49 pm

Some of the CEU-rem mates and me decided to finish the year running instead of rowing.<br />We participated in the Sylvester race "Cursa dels nassos" in Barcelona ver 10k.<br />Nice afternoosn, I felt very good and started very fast (at least for me).<br />Finally, I am VERY satisfied with the result: 39:07 with a slight negative splitting, down from my previous PB of 43:46!! <br />Maybe the marathon training also helps for the shorter distances...<br />Happy new year to all of you folks!

[old] FrancoisA

General

Post by [old] FrancoisA » January 1st, 2006, 7:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ancho+Jan 1 2006, 09:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ancho @ Jan 1 2006, 09:49 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Some of the CEU-rem mates and me decided to finish the year running instead of rowing.<br />We participated in the Sylvester race "Cursa dels nassos" in Barcelona ver 10k.<br />Nice afternoosn, I felt very good and started very fast (at least for me).<br />Finally, I am VERY satisfied with the result: 39:07 with a slight negative splitting, down from my previous PB of 43:46!! <br />Maybe the marathon training also helps for the shorter distances...<br />Happy new year to all of you folks! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Congratulations Ancho! This is a huge improvement! <br />39:07 is quite remarkable for your age and weight!<br />You are right, the marathon training also helps for the so called "shorter" distances (10k is not that short IMHO )<br /><br />All the best,<br /><br />Francois

[old] Jim Barry

General

Post by [old] Jim Barry » January 1st, 2006, 7:58 pm

Nice run Ancho and Happy New Year. <br /><br />I ran 4 miles the other day at a 6:45/mile pace (27 minutes) and felt well within myself. Very encouraging for more to come. That was a huge increase in my tempo training speed. <br />

[old] johnnybike

General

Post by [old] johnnybike » January 5th, 2006, 9:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Samroot+Dec 20 2005, 03:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Samroot @ Dec 20 2005, 03:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->JohnnyB<br />How is your calf strain coming along?<br /><br />I know of two very good runners just in the village where I live-one late 40s the other mid 50s, both with calf strains that had to stop running from any where from 6-12 mos. to let them fully heal. But both of them are back running with no apparent problems now. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Just had to post re my lunch-time run today<br /><br />My 5 runs of 2006 – after a 2 month break have been<br /><br />3.5m<br />3.0m<br />4.0m 28:27<br />4.0m 28:57<br />4.0m 27:15 - v.pleased to get inside sevens at such an early stage <br /><br />As well as training every night at the gym. Quite chuffed with myself.<br /><br />30@20 effort tonight - lwt for the CTC challenge<br /><br />

[old] Samroot

General

Post by [old] Samroot » January 5th, 2006, 10:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-johnnybike+Jan 5 2006, 01:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(johnnybike @ Jan 5 2006, 01:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Samroot+Dec 20 2005, 03:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Samroot @ Dec 20 2005, 03:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->JohnnyB<br />How is your calf strain coming along?<br /><br />I know of two very good runners just in the village where I live-one late 40s the other mid 50s, both with calf strains that had to stop running from any where from 6-12 mos. to let them fully heal. But both of them are back running with no apparent problems now. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Just had to post re my lunch-time run today<br /><br />My 5 runs of 2006 – after a 2 month break have been<br /><br />3.5m<br />3.0m<br />4.0m 28:27<br />4.0m 28:57<br />4.0m 27:15 - v.pleased to get inside sevens at such an early stage <br /><br />As well as training every night at the gym. Quite chuffed with myself.<br /><br />30@20 effort tonight - lwt for the CTC challenge <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Well done John!<br />It must feel good to be running again,and so well after the layoff. I find it interesting that you can have quality runs and see improvement with a modest amount of sessions per week. I'm impressed with your stroking power at resticted rates. There must a direct effect on your running so well so quickly.<br /><br />I just started to run again last week after a four week layoff. My quads were quite sore for a week. I guess I lost the eccentric contraction adaptability of running even though I've been doing a significant amount of erging.<br /><br />I've done a few barefoot runs on the treadmill. It went fine except for my right achilles being a little tender. So, I wore shoes this morning-I don't want the achilles to become a chronic problem. it might be the slight elevation of the treadmill.<br /><br />I started to add a modest weight session 3x a week for the first time in a couple of years. I feel like I've been beaten with a stick. I should be ok by the end of next week.<br /><br /><br />Ancho thats a very serious improvement. All that training is paying off handsomely.<br /><br />Jim Barry you should be chipping away at that 40 barrier soon!<br /><br />

[old] johnnybike

General

Post by [old] johnnybike » January 8th, 2006, 11:36 am

My comeback running week ended in a 5 mile race today.<br />I finished in 33:34, out in 16:50, back in 16:44. First mile 6:34 and last mile in 6:59. I am very pleased with that, no injuries and I felt good overall. If I can retain the running I would expect to improve substantially on that within a month or so. <br /><br />A lot more details in my diary if anyone is interested, link below

[old] Samroot

General

Post by [old] Samroot » January 8th, 2006, 11:58 am

[old] Samroot

General

Post by [old] Samroot » January 8th, 2006, 12:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-johnnybike+Jan 8 2006, 03:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(johnnybike @ Jan 8 2006, 03:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My comeback running week ended in a 5 mile race today.<br />I finished in 33:34, out in 16:50, back in 16:44. First mile 6:34 and last mile in 6:59. I am very pleased with that, no injuries and I felt good overall. If I can retain the running I would expect to improve substantially on that within a month or so. <br /><br />A lot more details in my diary if anyone is interested, link below <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations John!<br /><br />I just read your diary before this entry. The time is a testament to the aerobic level you're at,in spite of the minimum running you've done. I doubt I could pull that off right now in a 5 mile run.<br /><br />I'm also trying to get an erg and run in 4-5 times a week,along with weights 3x a week. I expect a lot of my soreness will be gone by the end of the week. I'm tryin to erg a minimum of 10k a day for anothe week,and supplement with runs of 5-8k.<br /><br /><br />My wife and I are shooting for a 10k in in Florida at the beginning of March. It will give me an incentive to reclaim some long lost speed by then. We'll try to some 2ks in February-Canadian Indoors at the very least.