New To Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Zac

General

Post by [old] Zac » July 12th, 2005, 3:08 pm

Hi everyone,<br /><br />My name is Joe and I just got (after much searching) a slightly used model D concept2 rower. I'm addicted!! I do have some questions for those who are experienced. What is the reason for keeping the SPM low (18-24)? It seems to me that there are two parts to rowing, on an indoor erg anyway, the SPM and the intensity in which one pulls. Is this correct? I've only had my erg for a week now and I am resisting the urge to do too much, but I an finding it difficult to keep my SPM's down and increase my intensity pulling....I can do it but I must really focus on my form. I quess I was really just wondering what is the point of keeping the SPM between 18-24 when it seems to be a better (harder, more intense) by keeping my SPM around 30-35 and pulling harder? I hope my question makes sense and any help will be GREATLY appreciated because, as I said before....I addicted!<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Zac

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 12th, 2005, 3:15 pm

Hi Zac,<br /><br />You are correct.<br /><br />It is better to keep your stroke rate between 30 and 35 strokes per minute for most higher intensity rowing.<br /><br />I stay around 27 spm for easy rowing.

[old] Xeno

General

Post by [old] Xeno » July 12th, 2005, 3:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 12 2005, 02:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 12 2005, 02:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi everyone,<br /><br />My name is Joe and I just got (after much searching) a slightly used model D concept2 rower.  I'm addicted!!  I do have some questions for those who are experienced.  What is the reason for keeping the SPM low (18-24)?  It seems to me that there are two parts to rowing, on an indoor erg anyway, the SPM and the intensity in which one pulls.  Is this correct?  I've only had my erg for a week now and I am resisting the urge to do too much, but I an finding it difficult to keep my SPM's down and increase my intensity pulling....I can do it but I must really focus on my form.  I quess I was really just wondering what is the point of keeping the SPM between 18-24 when it seems to be a better (harder, more intense) by keeping my SPM around 30-35 and pulling harder?  I hope my question makes sense and any help will be GREATLY appreciated because, as I said before....I addicted!<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Zac <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Welcome Zac<br />Rowing between 18-24 is good if you want to row for longer time/distance and grow your aerobic capacity. If you pull 30-35 strokes per minute fairly hard you start producing lactic acid which will make you tired and prevent you from rowing more KMS however, this will make you more lactic acid tollerant. <br />If you row for fitness without looking to peak for a special race, than you can choose to row 2 out of three times with lower stroke rate variations to keep it interesting for longer distances. And if you want to blow your brains out and beat yourself into the ground. Then do 45" on and 45" as hard as you can (don't injure your back). There are MANY ways to make the indoor rowing experience interesting. DO BUY THE SLIDE FROM CONCEPT 2 it makes rowing A LOT MORE ENJOYABLE. Also log your miles in on the Concept 2 website. Logging is a great motivator for rowing more. <br /><br />I hope that this amazingly simplistic answer in a nut shell helps you further.<br />A good book to buy is ROWING FASTER by Volker Nolte and other top of the line international athletes. Check out the stroke cycle in my signature.<br /><br />All the best,<br />XENO

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 12th, 2005, 3:51 pm

Peter Haining was lightweight world champion single sculls from 1993-95.<br /><br />Here is an interview with him about training:<br /><br /><a href='http://www.dreheroars.co.uk/liveupdater ... 1043876156' target='_blank'>http://www.dreheroars.co.uk/liveupdater ... 3876156</a>

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 12th, 2005, 4:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jul 12 2005, 12:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jul 12 2005, 12:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I stay around 27 spm for easy rowing.[right] </td></tr></table><br />Quote by Peter Haining, lightweight world champion single sculls from 1993-95 about previous world champion Frans Göbel:<br /><br />"I met Frans again at regattas – and noticed that he was warming up on the machine before races for 40 minutes at 26 – 28 rate."<br /><br />Hmmm what a coincidence.

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » July 12th, 2005, 5:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jul 12 2005, 12:18 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jul 12 2005, 12:18 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jul 12 2005, 12:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jul 12 2005, 12:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I stay around 27 spm for easy rowing.[right] </td></tr></table><br />Quote by Peter Haining, lightweight world champion single sculls from 1993-95 about previous world champion Frans Göbel:<br /><br />"I met Frans again at regattas – and noticed that he was warming up on the machine before races for 40 minutes at 26 – 28 rate."<br /><br />Hmmm what a coincidence. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />So you've given up on Eskild and Elia?<br /><br />Yes, it's quite a coincidence, since you are about as similar to Frans as I am to Lance Armstrong! Well, maybe not quite, I've actually raced bicycles. <br /><br />Just kidding big guy!

[old] Mark Keating

General

Post by [old] Mark Keating » July 12th, 2005, 7:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 12 2005, 07:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 12 2005, 07:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->pulling harder?  <br /> </td></tr></table><br />In order to develop a powerful stroke, the concensus on this forum seems to be that you need to learn to "push" harder with your legs instead of pulling harder with your arms. And it makes sense, since most people's legs are quite a bit stronger than their arms.<br /><br />The best bit of advice I have received to help with this has been to row strapless. There is a good discussion <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... c=1974&hl=' target='_blank'>here</a> in case you haven't seen it. You will quite likely be able to achieve a faster pace with a lower stroke rate once you get used to rowing strapless.<br /><br />I have also just recently begun using PaulS's 10mps idea - it feels good so far and you may want to consider it as well.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Mark

[old] TedCG

General

Post by [old] TedCG » July 13th, 2005, 10:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mark Keating+Jul 12 2005, 06:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mark Keating @ Jul 12 2005, 06:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 12 2005, 07:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 12 2005, 07:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->pulling harder?   <br /> </td></tr></table> <br /><br />The best bit of advice I have received to help with this has been to row strapless. There is a good discussion <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... c=1974&hl=' target='_blank'>here</a> in case you haven't seen it. You will quite likely be able to achieve a faster pace with a lower stroke rate once you get used to rowing strapless.<br /><br />I have also just recently begun using PaulS's 10mps idea - it feels good so far and you may want to consider it as well.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />10mps...hmm, feels effective, feels powerful, yep, feels like I'm working hard, yep<br />...feels good? Only when I stop <br />Seriously, the 10mps/strapless has been the best single piece of advice I've gleaned from this forum. Thanks, PaulS.

[old] neilb

General

Post by [old] neilb » July 14th, 2005, 9:03 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 12 2005, 02:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 12 2005, 02:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->but I an finding it difficult to keep my SPM's down and increase my intensity pulling....I can do it but I must really focus on my form.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Low spm has benefits one of which is that the low spm and harder intensity can help with development of good technique. If you need to focus on your form to achieve the result and you manitain this for a while then you still ingrain the good habits into your normal stroke.<br /><br />It is easy to go faster simply by upping the spm but doing this too soon in your development can be a false benefit if you do not have the strong, automatic stroke to support it.<br /><br />

[old] Zac

General

Post by [old] Zac » July 14th, 2005, 4:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jul 12 2005, 02:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jul 12 2005, 02:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Zac,<br /><br />You are correct.<br /><br />It is better to keep your stroke rate between 30 and 35 strokes per minute for most higher intensity rowing.<br /><br />I stay around 27 spm for easy rowing. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Thanks John!

[old] Zac

General

Post by [old] Zac » July 14th, 2005, 4:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Jul 12 2005, 02:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Jul 12 2005, 02:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 12 2005, 02:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 12 2005, 02:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi everyone,<br /><br />My name is Joe and I just got (after much searching) a slightly used model D concept2 rower.  I'm addicted!!  I do have some questions for those who are experienced.  What is the reason for keeping the SPM low (18-24)?  It seems to me that there are two parts to rowing, on an indoor erg anyway, the SPM and the intensity in which one pulls.  Is this correct?  I've only had my erg for a week now and I am resisting the urge to do too much, but I an finding it difficult to keep my SPM's down and increase my intensity pulling....I can do it but I must really focus on my form.  I quess I was really just wondering what is the point of keeping the SPM between 18-24 when it seems to be a better (harder, more intense) by keeping my SPM around 30-35 and pulling harder?   I hope my question makes sense and any help will be GREATLY appreciated because, as I said before....I addicted!<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Zac <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Welcome Zac<br />Rowing between 18-24 is good if you want to row for longer time/distance and grow your aerobic capacity. If you pull 30-35 strokes per minute fairly hard you start producing lactic acid which will make you tired and prevent you from rowing more KMS however, this will make you more lactic acid tollerant. <br />If you row for fitness without looking to peak for a special race, than you can choose to row 2 out of three times with lower stroke rate variations to keep it interesting for longer distances. And if you want to blow your brains out and beat yourself into the ground. Then do 45" on and 45" as hard as you can (don't injure your back). There are MANY ways to make the indoor rowing experience interesting. DO BUY THE SLIDE FROM CONCEPT 2 it makes rowing A LOT MORE ENJOYABLE. Also log your miles in on the Concept 2 website. Logging is a great motivator for rowing more. <br /><br />I hope that this amazingly simplistic answer in a nut shell helps you further.<br />A good book to buy is ROWING FASTER by Volker Nolte and other top of the line international athletes. Check out the stroke cycle in my signature.<br /><br />All the best,<br />XENO <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks XENO!!<br />

[old] Zac

General

Post by [old] Zac » July 14th, 2005, 4:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mark Keating+Jul 12 2005, 06:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mark Keating @ Jul 12 2005, 06:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 12 2005, 07:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 12 2005, 07:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->pulling harder?   <br /> </td></tr></table><br />In order to develop a powerful stroke, the concensus on this forum seems to be that you need to learn to "push" harder with your legs instead of pulling harder with your arms. And it makes sense, since most people's legs are quite a bit stronger than their arms.<br /><br />The best bit of advice I have received to help with this has been to row strapless. There is a good discussion <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... c=1974&hl=' target='_blank'>here</a> in case you haven't seen it. You will quite likely be able to achieve a faster pace with a lower stroke rate once you get used to rowing strapless.<br /><br />I have also just recently begun using PaulS's 10mps idea - it feels good so far and you may want to consider it as well.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Mark, wouldn't pushing harder with your legs creat more SPM? I'll check out the strapless. What is PaulS's 10mps idea? Sorry for all the questions.<br />

[old] Zac

General

Post by [old] Zac » July 14th, 2005, 4:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-neilb+Jul 14 2005, 08:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(neilb @ Jul 14 2005, 08:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 12 2005, 02:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 12 2005, 02:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->but I an finding it difficult to keep my SPM's down and increase my intensity pulling....I can do it but I must really focus on my form.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Low spm has benefits one of which is that the low spm and harder intensity can help with development of good technique. If you need to focus on your form to achieve the result and you manitain this for a while then you still ingrain the good habits into your normal stroke.<br /><br />It is easy to go faster simply by upping the spm but doing this too soon in your development can be a false benefit if you do not have the strong, automatic stroke to support it. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Makes sense...thanks.

[old] Mark Keating

General

Post by [old] Mark Keating » July 14th, 2005, 5:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 14 2005, 08:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 14 2005, 08:31 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mark, wouldn't pushing harder with your legs creat more SPM? </td></tr></table>You may indeed be able to achieve higher SPM with a stronger leg drive for a short duration, but I think the point is that for a given pace (ie 2:00/500m), a strong leg drive allows you to erg at a lower stroke rate because you will be producing more power per stroke.<br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What is PaulS's 10mps idea? </td></tr></table>Basic idea is to "travel" ten metres with each stroke that you pull, ie, 10 metres per stroke. The purpose (I think) is to develop proper stroke cadence and timing. To increase your pace per 500m, just up your stroke rate while maintaining ten metres per stroke.<br /><br />Do a forum search for "s10ps" or save yourself a bunch of time and get in touch with <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showuser=8' target='_blank'>PaulS</a> for the details. <br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Sorry for all the questions. </td></tr></table>That's alright, but don't let it happen again OK? <br />There would be no forum if nobody asked any questions!<br /><br />Mark

[old] Zac

General

Post by [old] Zac » July 15th, 2005, 12:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 14 2005, 03:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 14 2005, 03:34 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-neilb+Jul 14 2005, 08:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(neilb @ Jul 14 2005, 08:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 12 2005, 02:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 12 2005, 02:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->but I an finding it difficult to keep my SPM's down and increase my intensity pulling....I can do it but I must really focus on my form.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Low spm has benefits one of which is that the low spm and harder intensity can help with development of good technique. If you need to focus on your form to achieve the result and you manitain this for a while then you still ingrain the good habits into your normal stroke.<br /><br />It is easy to go faster simply by upping the spm but doing this too soon in your development can be a false benefit if you do not have the strong, automatic stroke to support it. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Makes sense...thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks again Mark<br />