Southern Cross Irc

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] tomraven

General

Post by [old] tomraven » May 28th, 2005, 8:16 am

Hi Guys<br /><br />I did a slow 5000 and then managed a PB over 6000m 25m17s, so I'm felling good.<br /><br />We all need to squeeze in another 10 000m if we want to go up another notch on the rankings - are we up to it?<br /><br />Lets hear from you.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tom

[old] Stevo

General

Post by [old] Stevo » May 28th, 2005, 11:06 am

Next weekend is our 10km weekend, each member is to try to do at least 10km over the course of Sat. and Sun. . Of course some will do more, but if everyone gives 10km min across 2 days we'll go off!

[old] GeorgeD

General

Post by [old] GeorgeD » May 28th, 2005, 4:20 pm

A 10k piece yesterday and 13k all up and about the same today, so I am ready for next weekend <br /><br />George

[old] tomraven

General

Post by [old] tomraven » May 28th, 2005, 11:53 pm

I've been eating to much and have put on 1 or 2kg, so a few extra metres is just what I need .<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tom<br />

[old] tomraven

General

Post by [old] tomraven » May 30th, 2005, 4:11 am

When you add you metres rowed on your online log, do you log your warm up and cool down distance as well?<br /><br />I use rowpro and it doesn't appear to do it automatically.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tom

[old] GeorgeD

General

Post by [old] GeorgeD » May 30th, 2005, 4:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tomraven+May 30 2005, 09:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tomraven @ May 30 2005, 09:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When you add you metres rowed on your online log, do you log your warm up and cool down distance as well?<br /><br />I use rowpro and it doesn't appear to do it automatically.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tom <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Tom I log everything I row. If it is just a paddle row then I lump it all together - if my session is a 10k say and I warmup for 2k and cooldown for 2k then I log them as 4000m wu/cd (in the comments box) and no associated time, and then 10k I log with a time - all on the same date so that effectively I rowed 14k for that day.<br /><br />There was a bit of a half hearted debate about this once, (and the same goes for 'active' recovery between intervals if you do that), but I figure on a day when I do fast intervals my warmup and cooldown could easily be 5 - 6k and I am sure gonna want that counting towards my socks and now the club <br /><br />George

[old] maf

General

Post by [old] maf » May 30th, 2005, 5:59 pm

Do I log warm ups? h*** yes.<br /><br />I regard them as important, and often do a slow 2k each end of my session - it's good for my body and my metres.<br /><br />Michael

[old] Roland Baltutis

General

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » May 31st, 2005, 12:15 am

<!--QuoteBegin-tomraven+May 30 2005, 03:11 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tomraven @ May 30 2005, 03:11 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When you add you metres rowed on your online log, do you log your warm up and cool down distance as well?<br /><br />I use rowpro and it doesn't appear to do it automatically.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tom <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm in two different minds over this one. Although I'd like to add my warm up and cool down meters to our club meters tally, I don't want to clutter up my logbook with odd bits and pieces and slower paced meters. Hence I only log the main workout.<br /><br />If I really wanted to stack my logbook with meters then I could also add my on water meters which would be quite considerable. No, I'd rather keep my logbook neat and tidy and easy to follow.<br /><br />I logged a measly 2000m yesterday but feel happier knowing that I did it in a reasonably quick 6:16.7.<br /><br />Keep it smooth, keep it relaxed<br />Roland Baltutis<br />

[old] whp4

General

Post by [old] whp4 » May 31st, 2005, 1:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+May 31 2005, 04:15 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ May 31 2005, 04:15 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-tomraven+May 30 2005, 03:11 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tomraven @ May 30 2005, 03:11 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When you add you metres rowed on your online log, do you log your warm up and cool down distance as well?<br /><br />I use rowpro and it doesn't appear to do it automatically.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tom <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm in two different minds over this one. Although I'd like to add my warm up and cool down meters to our club meters tally, I don't want to clutter up my logbook with odd bits and pieces and slower paced meters. Hence I only log the main workout.<br /><br />If I really wanted to stack my logbook with meters then I could also add my on water meters which would be quite considerable. No, I'd rather keep my logbook neat and tidy and easy to follow.<br /><br />I logged a measly 2000m yesterday but feel happier knowing that I did it in a reasonably quick 6:16.7.<br /><br />Keep it smooth, keep it relaxed<br />Roland Baltutis <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I use Rowpro as well, but log my warmup/cooldown meters by hand, as Rowpro doesn't send them along when exporting a piece to the C2 logbook. A bit of a nuisance, but I can think of a lot of things I'd rather they improve (and I'm not talking about fixing bugs) before doing something about that.<br /><br />If you want the warmup/cooldown meters to appear in the club tally, but not clutter up your log book inordinately, just keep a running tally of time and distance and make a weekly/monthly/whatever entry in your logbook with the accumulated time and distance. The same would work for on-water meters, of course.<br /><br />Roland, perhaps if you learned to touch-type it wouldn't take you more than 6 minutes to fill out the form to log a 2k <br /><br />Bill

[old] leonard

General

Post by [old] leonard » May 31st, 2005, 3:26 am

<!--QuoteBegin-GeorgeD+May 31 2005, 04:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GeorgeD @ May 31 2005, 04:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />...There was a bit of a half hearted debate about this once, (and the same goes for 'active' recovery between intervals if you do that), but I figure on a day when I do fast intervals  my warmup and cooldown could easily be 5 - 6k and I am sure gonna want that counting towards my socks and now the club  <br /><br />George <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Can't see what that debate would be about personally - to me it's a no-brainer: if you row 'em on the erg you log 'em. I can't see anywhere in the log that differentiates 'quality' of the meters rowed <br />

[old] neilb

General

Post by [old] neilb » May 31st, 2005, 8:30 am

<!--QuoteBegin-leonard+May 31 2005, 02:26 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(leonard @ May 31 2005, 02:26 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br /> I can't see anywhere in the log that differentiates 'quality' of the meters rowed  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />As far as I am aware there is no difference in quality between good warm up and good recovery/cool down and other rowing. I use the same technique, same stroke, monitor spm and split times the same way it is just that the spm and watts per stroke may differ from the actual training piece. In actual fact if done properly the rowing in warm up and recovery may even be of better quality (just not as powerful).<br /><br />Putting aside the points about keeping the notebook clear there may be an argument for not recording if the warm up and recovery is just messing about but frankly I cannot imagine that people who are serious about logging training would mess about!<br /><br />Anyway what is "quality"? perhaps people could record meters covered only with the "perfect stroke"

[old] leonard

General

Post by [old] leonard » May 31st, 2005, 11:10 am

<!--QuoteBegin-neilb+May 31 2005, 08:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(neilb @ May 31 2005, 08:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />As far as I am aware there is no difference in quality between good warm up and good recovery/cool down and other rowing.  I use the same technique, same stroke, monitor spm and split times the same way it is just that the spm and watts per stroke may differ from the actual training piece.  In actual fact if done properly the rowing in warm up and recovery may even be of better quality (just not as powerful).<br /><br />Putting aside the points about keeping the notebook clear there may be an argument for not recording if the warm up and recovery is just messing about but frankly I cannot imagine that people who are serious about logging training would mess about!<br /><br />Anyway what is "quality"?  perhaps people could record meters covered only with the "perfect stroke"  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Agreed - my warm ups and cool downs tend to be my best form <br /><br />Also, if I logged only my quality strokes during my workouts my meters would be way down! Tonite in a 60min UT2 piece it was a cycle of 5 minutes of stroke 'nirvana' then 10 minutes of wondering whether my torso was aware it was actually connected to my limbs, so great was the lack of 'feel'! Very weird!

[old] tomraven

General

Post by [old] tomraven » May 31st, 2005, 9:45 pm

I sometimes get a weird light headed feeling when I have done one row, had a break while the computer resets itself and then start off again.<br /><br />It always happens at beginning of the 2nd row.<br /><br />I hope its nothing serious. Its probalby just my body going into shok at the thought of having to go through the whole cycle again.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tom<br /><br /><br />

[old] GeorgeD

General

Post by [old] GeorgeD » May 31st, 2005, 10:24 pm

Tom,<br /><br />my guess would be that your situation is similar to doing 'leg presses' or 'squats' where blood pools in the legs (the big muscles) and causes a bit of light headedness.<br /><br />My guess would be that as time goes on your bidy will adapt to the situation and the problem dissappear. Does it only happen in some workouts?<br /><br />George

[old] tomraven

General

Post by [old] tomraven » June 1st, 2005, 9:10 am

George<br /><br />It only happens if I do to rows. Normally I just do one coninues one. I guess you are right about the blood flow.<br /><br />Its not a problem, as the light headedness dissappears quickly as the agony of rowing sets in. <br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tom<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-GeorgeD+Jun 1 2005, 10:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GeorgeD @ Jun 1 2005, 10:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Tom,<br /><br />my guess would be that your situation is similar to doing 'leg presses' or 'squats' where blood pools in the legs (the big muscles) and causes a bit of light headedness.<br /><br />My guess would be that as time goes on your bidy will adapt to the situation and the problem dissappear.  Does it only happen in some workouts?<br /><br />George <br /> </td></tr></table><br />