Height

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Roger

General

Post by [old] Roger » May 2nd, 2005, 2:16 am

There are published differences between men/women, heavy/light, age etc. but what effect does height have on your times?<br /><br />I ask as I'm only 5'8" (172cm) with short arms as well !<br /><br />Roger<br /><br />

[old] nkoffler

General

Post by [old] nkoffler » May 2nd, 2005, 11:22 am

Roger-<br /><br />There are long threads on this topic that you can find by searching. The simple answer is that, holding the many other variables constant, height helps improve time. Of course, there are many exceptions such as ergers that are much faster than other taller ergers.<br /><br />Your question seems focused more on how you compare to the rest of the people in rankings. This can be tough as height is not listed and weight is just split at 75 kg. Try to track improve against your own performance if you can't find someone comparable.<br /><br />Neil<br />M/LW/US/38/6'1"

[old] Roger

General

Post by [old] Roger » May 2nd, 2005, 7:06 pm

Neil<br /><br />Thanks, I'll have a search through for the threads. I was just thinking that as there is a formula for adjusting your performance according to age some university sports person may have devised a height related one.<br /><br />Roger

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 2nd, 2005, 7:11 pm

As long as you can adjust the rigging, there is no difference in erg times for height.

[old] Roger

General

Post by [old] Roger » May 2nd, 2005, 7:49 pm

John<br /><br />Have just been reading through the archives (in particular you thread with PaulH) ... I think I can put this particular thread to bed now as my question has obviously been thoroughly discussed already!<br /><br />Roger

[old] nfeht

General

Post by [old] nfeht » May 3rd, 2005, 1:34 pm

the only reason (i beleive) that taller people tend to be faster on the erg is that because of their greater hight they naturaly have more weight and thus more muscle thus more power. its my thinking at least

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » May 3rd, 2005, 1:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-nfeht+May 3 2005, 09:34 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(nfeht @ May 3 2005, 09:34 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the only reason (i beleive) that taller people tend to be faster on the erg is that because of their greater hight they naturaly have more weight and thus more muscle thus more power. its my thinking at least <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That's some pretty good thinking going on! As long as you hold fitness and technique constant.<br /><br />Otherwise we just go to the point that there is no "equality factor", you just do what you can, to improve from where you are, and at some point you won't be able to improve any more. Trying to compare to others is somewhat folly, even twins will not perform identically due to some intangible factor.<br /><br />Cheers!

[old] Canoeist

General

Post by [old] Canoeist » May 4th, 2005, 8:24 am

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+May 3 2005, 05:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ May 3 2005, 05:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Trying to compare to others is somewhat folly, even twins will not perform identically due to some intangible factor. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Good point Paul. Look at the twins from NZ. Both have the same coaches and technique. They are the same age, height, and weight. Even during head to head erg races they look like sychronized ergs. But for some reason, Georgina always finishes a few seconds ahead of Caroline.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Paul Flack