Newbies

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Avid Napper

General

Post by [old] Avid Napper » January 10th, 2005, 10:02 am

I've been rowing two weeks, and have two questions that I believe qualify as Newbie fodder (as a person who is highly allergic to math, I suspect a lot of this and other threads will elude me even after I've rowed millions of meters.... ). The questions: <br><br>1) I'm uncertain as to where to place my feet--are they supposed to be flat throughout the stroke cycle? My heels lift when I pull myself forward (sorry, I don't have the "official" rowing terminology for that phase handy)--is this okay or a sign that I don't have the foot guide set properly? <br><br>2) My derriere is not enjoying my continued progress in racking up meters, I'm sorry to report. Have developed an irritation due to friction, and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and whether it suggests my technique is off (or I just need to apply some talc/Vaseline to the affected areas before rowing, avoid cotton, etc.).<br><br>On the good news front, I feel taller since I began rowing, odd as that may sound, and my energy level is up quite a bit. To wake up (almost) coherent and ready to go on a Monday morning is a minor miracle for yours truly. <br><br>Many thanks.

[old] little weed

General

Post by [old] little weed » January 10th, 2005, 10:41 am

avid napper,<br>how odd that you should feel taller. i had to go out shopping today, and as it's my day off i would normally wear jeans and trainers. however, i decided to go with smart trousers and heels, which is something i NEVER do. i think it must be something to do with that 'feeling tall' thing, as well as just generally feeling a bit better about my physique and wanting to dress it up with a bit more care!<br>jane

[old] jav1

General

Post by [old] jav1 » January 10th, 2005, 10:48 am

Avid,<br><br>this might be the blind leading the blind as I am almost as new as you... but here goes.<br><br>1) Its my understanding that you should feel a sense of "rocking" on your feet as you row. You should be up on the balls (of your feet) at the start of the stroke, and you should finish your stroke on your heels. Also, you should avoid "pulling" yourself forward using the foot straps. Some advocate (and its helped me) rowing with your feet in the craddles, but without the straps over your feet. This kind of forces you into a more efficient, smooth stroke. All your energy (work) should go into the pull handle, and the rythm of your motion should naturally start your return to the pulling position (with your feet not lifting from the craddles).<br><br>2) Do you have the seat pad thats available for your seat?

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » January 10th, 2005, 11:09 am

1) Adjust the height of your heel so that the ball of your foot is at the height of the rail. If you must choose slightly above or below due to hole placement, go higher if you have good ankle flexibility, lower if you don't. (The adjustment hole will change depending on footware, or if you use a SwingSling. see- PS Sport link if interested in that.)<br><br>Keeping your whole foot on the plate is the final goal, but generally there is a bit of heel raise as the ankle flexibility is worked on.<br><br>2) Try a different position on the seat to find the best place, if you are too close to the front edge or back edge, you are sitting on an incline, and this "sliding" to the middle will make things uncomfortable. Then again, there's always bubble-wrap.

[old] pduck

General

Post by [old] pduck » January 10th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Question about rowing strapless:<br><br>Whenever I've tried this, I feel like I'm going to go flying off the back. How do you stop the backwards momentum without straps?

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » January 10th, 2005, 12:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-pduck+Jan 10 2005, 08:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (pduck @ Jan 10 2005, 08:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Question about rowing strapless:<br><br>Whenever I've tried this, I feel like I'm going to go flying off the back. How do you stop the backwards momentum without straps? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> By Maintaining handle pressure all the way to the finish, while keeping the Drive sequence in order, then executing the recovery as a mirror of the correct drive sequence.<br><br>Easier said than done, but who said it was going to be "easy"?

[old] Avid Napper

General

Post by [old] Avid Napper » January 10th, 2005, 3:18 pm

In response to jav1, I don't have the optional seat pad--was going to try the erg without it, and see how it goes. Perhaps it's time to make another investment in my rowing future?<br><br>That said, I am a grandchild of The Depression, so will try the other helpful, cost-free suggestions first. <br><br>Aside to little weed: If I start dressing up, my partner may become suspicious. (I work at home, so "slovenly" is the kindest way to describe my usual appearance.) Thanks for the "warning" as to other side-effects of regular rowing.<br><br>Best,<br>Avid

[old] little weed

General

Post by [old] little weed » January 10th, 2005, 3:52 pm

I DID IT! 6k in 28:06.8. that's 2:20.6 at 24spm. i'm quite please with that. it didn't feel too bad, and my heart rate was 165 at the end. i also did a 500m @ 28spm and got 2:08.5. i think i can make that a bit better, but there's no hurry.<br><br>must be the dressing up....! <br><br>jane

[old] tboy1414

General

Post by [old] tboy1414 » January 10th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Hi Avid,<br>I have been rowing for about a month now.<br>Not sure of what the solution is to the rash, but i have the same thing on my arse. Its quite a site, its like a rugburn, only nastier. Funny as it sounds, for now, i put vaseline on it to help stop the friction and it helps with the pain. <br><br>For Little_weed,<br>Congrats on the new time! Great idea starting this thread, i have been reading it quite regularly.<br><br>ok, L8R <br>Tom <br><br>

[old] neilb

General

Post by [old] neilb » January 10th, 2005, 4:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-little weed+Jan 10 2005, 02:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (little weed @ Jan 10 2005, 02:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I DID IT! 6k in 28:06.8. that's 2:20.6 at 24spm. i'm quite please with that. it didn't feel too bad, and my heart rate was 165 at the end. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Jane,<br><br>Great result. Now you know that 28 mins is not that bad then next time you only need to add on a measly little 2 mins and you will then be a member of the "30 mins" club. You will see a lot of 30 mins sessions reported and so it will be cool to be able to report the same. <br><br>The split times differ from person to person so remember you are only really competing against yourself. Keep the stroke good and the 24 spm and fairly soon you will see that either the split times will reduce or you will be able to do the same split times with a lower HR. Either shows the improvement.<br><br>Then once you have done 30 mins it would seem a shame to waste that effort when you are so close to doing a 35 min session and so on....<br><br>This way you can use the 30 min sessions to work on improved technique and fitness or as a base to move up to longer sessions. The beauty of it is that you get to decide and you will have more reasons for new clothes!

[old] little weed

General

Post by [old] little weed » January 10th, 2005, 4:52 pm

thanks chaps! <br><br>now, i will tell you what a complete muppet i have been....<br><br>for some reason, when people write their split times as 1:50 or whatever, i kept thinking that it was one and a half minutes (ie 1.5mins), instead of one minute 50 seconds ! i don't know why, because i knew my 2:20 meant two minutes and twenty seconds. i suppose i just thought that everyone else went REALLY fast ALL the time! (part of my inferiority complex!) <br><br>anyway, otherwise, it has been a GOOD day and i feel very motivated and looking forward to tomorrow's session <br><br>jane<br>

[old] Coach Gus

General

Post by [old] Coach Gus » January 10th, 2005, 5:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-little weed+Jan 10 2005, 12:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (little weed @ Jan 10 2005, 12:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> for some reason, when people write their split times as 1:50 or whatever, i kept thinking that it was one and a half minutes (ie 1.5mins) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Yes!! 1:50 = one and a half minutes! Based on how hard it's been, I always knew I was going faster than that darn monitor said. It's good to know it's been misrepresenting my pace all this time.<br><br>It's takes a newbie muppet to point this out to all of us!

[old] Mark Keating

General

Post by [old] Mark Keating » January 10th, 2005, 6:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-pduck+Jan 10 2005, 04:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (pduck @ Jan 10 2005, 04:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Question about rowing strapless:<br><br>Whenever I've tried this, I feel like I'm going to go flying off the back. How do you stop the backwards momentum without straps?<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>I agree with Paul's advice, duck; in layman's terms I think the key is to complete your leg drive (extend legs fully) before your body swing is complete and before you finish with your arms. This is what Paul refers to as maintaining handle pressure to the finish.<br><br>You may want to try a few strokes, using your legs only, with your body in an upright position. I think you will find it (nearly) impossible to push yourself off the seat as long as there is tension on the cable.<br><br>On your recovery, be sure to begin by extending your arms back towards the flywheel. Your hands should not pause against your body at the finish, regardless of your stroke rate I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Then swing your upper body forward and once your hands have cleared your knees, bend at the knees to complete the recovery. This sequence is the mirror that Paul refers to.<br><br>It (rowing strapless) takes some getting used to but it is well worth the effort.<br><br>Mark

[old] Mark Keating

General

Post by [old] Mark Keating » January 10th, 2005, 6:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Avid Napper+Jan 10 2005, 07:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Avid Napper @ Jan 10 2005, 07:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->That said, I am a grandchild of The Depression, so will try the other helpful, cost-free suggestions first.  <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Hi Avid;<br><br>If you're looking for a REALLY cheap option, try taking the seat right off and grease the rail! You will never have to worry about wearing the (erg) seat out and it will toughen up your arse quicker than anything!<br><br>Oh yeah, welcome to the forum by the way. I've gleaned a fair bit of valuable info from all the participants; just watch out for the occasional smart-assed comment. <br><br>Glad you're feeling the positive effect of erging already. I noticed the same results early on, then hit a (motivational) wall about six weeks in. I credit the C2 guide and interactive programme for helping me through that stage.<br><br>Regards,<br>Mark

[old] little weed

General

Post by [old] little weed » January 10th, 2005, 7:23 pm

oo er. i didn't mean to offend anyone. i just didn't understand how you all went that fast on an 'easy' session. sorry. <br><br>jane