Question About Boats

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] jschmidt63

General

Post by [old] jschmidt63 » January 19th, 2005, 2:44 pm

Hey folks<br><br>Been getting into rowing much more lately. Training heavily on the concept2 and thinking about this year when its warmer out. I currently own a 12 jon boat and use it for fly fishing and rowing. I know dont laugh, its not much of a rowing platform, but its hard to beat for standing when I flyfish and I can easily stick it in the back of my truck and be on the water in no time, and still get a fun static seat row.<br><br>But as of late I am thinking of maybe a sliding seat skiff that I still can use for fishing because its stable but be more serious on rowing. I need a boat that can do both. I fish in calm water in Charlottesville, Virginia area so rough water concerns are not an issue. <br><br>I was looking at the heritage boats, the 12 foot model. Looks like it would work nice for me or something like it.<br><br><br>Any thoughts, comments, suggestions appriciated. Anyone have a used boat to sell? Swap my jon boat for it <br><br><br>John

[old] jschmidt63

General

Post by [old] jschmidt63 » January 20th, 2005, 1:12 am

geez, 40 views and no comments<br><br>are jon boats taboo

[old] jamesg

General

Post by [old] jamesg » January 20th, 2005, 1:43 am

I'd say it's best to do one thing at a time, a boat that's stable enough for fishing is very unlikely to be satisfactory for a sculler. Keep the fishing boat and get the fastest 1x on the planet.

[old] Cran

General

Post by [old] Cran » January 20th, 2005, 4:42 am

I think if you try and get a fishing boat that you can scull or a sculling boat you can fish from that you will be dissapointed...<br><br>I'd suggest keep your fishing boat and get a second hand single scull. The scull will fit on the roof rack easy enough.<br><br>I'd get a really cheap 2nd hand scull first, then in 6 months you can sell it with not much depreciation, and get yourself a newer one, as by then you'll have a better idea of what type to get.<br><br>

[old] SlugButt

General

Post by [old] SlugButt » January 20th, 2005, 12:31 pm

<br>While it might not be stable enough to stand in, and Alden might be an option as a very stable recreational shell (of course, nowhere near as stable as a jon boat). There may be a mix of opinions depending on your aims in pursuing sculling. If you would like to scull in a shell some day then many people advocate using recreational boats like Alden's for only a short period and transitioning to a racing shell as soon as possible, since it is easy to become accustomed to bad habits in an Alden that would probably send you for a swim in a racing shell. On the other hand, as mentioned an alden, although stable, will not rival the stability of a jon boat. <br><br>You mentioned considering a skiff, also. I've seen some of the wooden skiffs with sliding seats and I would imagine that they would provide enough stability to stand in. <br><br>I'm guessing that although there will different balances of speed vs. stability, that any choice could be a lot of fun!

[old] jschmidt63

General

Post by [old] jschmidt63 » January 20th, 2005, 4:17 pm

thanks folks, appriciate the feedback. I was thinking last night of joining a local rowing club and use their singles to figure out what I want. I may end up keeping the jon and getting a used fast boat, very interesting idea.<br><br>thanks again<br><br>John

[old] gorow9

General

Post by [old] gorow9 » January 20th, 2005, 4:56 pm

If I were you I'd try the boats at the club first and then decide whether you'd rather have a fast boat or a boat to fish in too. I do know that I've heard good things about heratige boats.<br><br>Good luck,<br>~Sara