Contest-i Need Rowers Recipes

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] grams

General

Post by [old] grams » July 20th, 2004, 2:07 pm

I have promised my 18 year old grandson some easy to cook (read one pot) recipes for his coming years away at college. Even though he will be on their meal deal, I know that as a rower he will want more food, and he can't cook at all.<br><br>PRIZE: anything from either the Concept2 or Concept2-UK site stores with a limit of $20 (13 pounds). That's if I get enough recipes to make it a competition.<br><br>NEEDED: main dishes; also energy drink formulas, snack foods; whatever<br><br>RULES: Maximum of 4 ingredients (can have additional optional ones); must be cooked in 1 pot, simple prep time; no oven cooking. Minimum of chopping, cutting up etc. State whether using US or English measuring units.<br><br>JUDGING: I am the sole judge and jury.<br><br>Example:<br>1 package mild Italian sausage<br>1 package chicken pieces<br>1 jar marinara sauce<br>1/2 package pasta (or more)<br>(optional: 1 cut up onion or 1 package frozen veggies-any kind)<br><br>Throw sausage and chicken in pot first. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Dump in sauce & some water. Cook for 1/2 to 2/hours on low heat. Stir in pasta. Cook for a while longer. Eat.<br><br>You can post the recipes on the forum or email them to me. I will put them up on a web page for folks to read. Email: cjc(at)landnw(dot)com<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Grams<br>

[old] Bayko

General

Post by [old] Bayko » July 20th, 2004, 3:21 pm

Bachelor special. From my own days sans spouse:<br><br>One box of cheap Macaroni & Cheese. One can of cheap tuna.<br><br>Cook the Mac & Cheese according to directions, adding the can of tuna to the last step. Eat entire thing.<br><br>Rick

[old] PaulH

General

Post by [old] PaulH » July 20th, 2004, 4:03 pm

You might want to look at something like this as well...<br><br><a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846' target='_blank'>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... /a><br><br>(And check the 'people also bought' bit)<br><br>Cheers, Paul

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » July 20th, 2004, 4:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-grams+Jul 20 2004, 06:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (grams @ Jul 20 2004, 06:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You can post the recipes on the forum or email them to me. I will put them up on a web page for folks to read. Email: cjc(at)landnw(dot)com<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Grams <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> From the looks of the other posts, I must be the only one to interpret your title inappropriately.<br><br>First he will need to find a good supply of rowers, though assuming he is attending a college with a Crew, this should not be a problem. Avoid the senior rowers, they tend to be tough and not have much fat on them.<br><br>First step is to clean the Rower thoroughly, they tend to be a sweaty bunch.<br><br>Finding an oven large enough is tough, so a large BBQ might be a bit better.<br><br>Roast the rower for 6-8 hours or until tender, basting frequently with Kraft Itallian Dressing.<br><br>Eat, but not all at one sitting, unless of course it was a lightweight. <br><br>- Paul Smith<br><br>PS - Hot Pot/Top Ramen<br><br>Alternate solution: Find a nice girl that likes to cook, not a rower though, since she would then be too busy to be doing any cooking.<br>

[old] grams

General

Post by [old] grams » July 20th, 2004, 5:02 pm

Bayko, that is outstanding. 2 ingredients! Perfect.<br><br>Good one also, Paul. I do have a bad habit of coming up with unintended puns. You must be reading the popular book 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'; the zero tolerance approach to punctuation; by Lynne Truss.<br><br>The title should read 'A contest-I need Rowers' Recipes<br><br>My grandson may have considered your full meal deal at Henley, as his crew got knocked out in the first round by another excellent crew who went on to win the Fawley cup.<br><br>I will be sure to include your recipe. Since your recipe is difficult to taste-test, you qualify for a vegetarian prize. A 2 foot long zucchini (courgette) will be waiting for you at the clubhouse shortly. ( Oops, another bad pun. The zucchini isn't short....)<br><br>Grams

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » July 20th, 2004, 5:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-grams+Jul 20 2004, 09:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (grams @ Jul 20 2004, 09:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My grandson may have considered your full meal deal at Henley, as his crew got knocked out in the first round by another excellent crew who went on to win the Fawley cup.<br><br>I will be sure to include your recipe. Since your recipe is difficult to taste-test, you qualify for a vegetarian prize. A 2 foot long zucchini (courgette) will be waiting for you at the clubhouse shortly. ( Oops, another bad pun. The zucchini isn't short....)<br><br>Grams <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Tough luck they had in the Draw, but I suppose that someone has to race the eventual winner in their first pairing.<br><br>Tammy is in fact reading about the 'dine and dash' Panda, I'm just naturally sick...<br><br>Nothing green for me, something I refer to as "The Rower diet." <br><br>- Paul Smith

[old] grams

General

Post by [old] grams » July 21st, 2004, 12:00 am

Not to worry, Paul. It's a yellow zucchini.

[old] Coach Gus

General

Post by [old] Coach Gus » July 21st, 2004, 12:20 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+Jul 20 2004, 11:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Bayko @ Jul 20 2004, 11:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Bachelor special. From my own days sans spouse:<br><br>One box of cheap Macaroni & Cheese. One can of cheap tuna.<br><br>Cook the Mac & Cheese according to directions, adding the can of tuna to the last step. Eat entire thing.<br><br>Rick <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Same as Rick's except we added a can of peas to the mix. Very cheap and fairly balanced meal high in protein. For dessert we'd eat applesause. For way too many days in a row.

[old] lowwall

General

Post by [old] lowwall » July 21st, 2004, 4:24 pm

*** DELETE - SPAM *** Sink Quesadillas - along with ramen cooked various ways, these were a staple of my college years<br><br>1. Put a non-stick pan on a burner set to medium-high.<br><br>2. Pour in a bit of oil and spread it around.<br><br>3. Put in a tortilla, sprinkle on some cheese.<br><br>4. Drop in whatever ingredients you feel like/have handy. Just make sure they are well drained and either precooked or OK to eat semi-cooked (vegetables). Suggestions include one or more of: canned salmon or other fish, salsa, frijoles, diced tomatoes, deli meats, onions, leftover chicken.<br><br>5. Sprinkle some more cheese and put another tortilla on top. <br><br>6. Wait a minute, wipe some oil on the top tortilla. Flip and wait a couple more minutes. Serve with salsa.<br><br>These can also be made in a microwave (although they won't taste as good). Just assemble the ingredients on a plate or paper towel and nuke for around 45 secs.<br><br>*** DELETE - SPAM *** Sink Omelette - I eat these occasionally now.<br><br>1. Put a small non-stick pan on a burner set to medium-high.<br><br>2. Pour in some pasteurized egg whites.<br><br>3. Drop in whatever ingredients you feel like/have handy. Just make sure they are well drained and either precooked or OK to eat semi-cooked (vegetables). Suggestions include one or more of: canned salmon or other fish, salsa, frijoles, diced tomatoes, deli meats, onions, leftover chicken.<br><br>4. Stir occasionally until egg is cooked. 2 to 3 minutes probably.<br><br>5. Season to taste: salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, Tabasco, barbeque sauce etc.<br><br>For a more advanced version, you can start with stuff that needs to be cooked and then add the eggs.<br><br>Alex

[old] Mike H

General

Post by [old] Mike H » July 23rd, 2004, 1:27 pm

Ok, my speciality is meals that take less than 20mins to prepare and eat and huge quantities thereof.<br><br>My favourite is simple risotto (but it needs a saucepan and a frying pan).<br><br>1) Cook lots of rice...packages recommend 125g per person, I normally eat about 500grams. <br><br>2) Cut chicken pieces or sausage or vegetables and anything else you have into smallish chunks (an inch square is good...needs only a couple of minutes to cook through).<br><br>3) Fry all of this stuff. If you have quick cook rice it{ll all be ready at the same time. Tip everything into saucepan and mix. (Keep frying pan on the heat so it gets really hot)<br><br>4) MOST IMPORTANT ROWERS STEP: Tip everything back into the frying pan and add as many eggs as you can afford as a student. <br><br>5) EAT and ENJOY!<br><br>It worked for me! Simple as you can add anything you have in the house and if you have vinegar/soy sauce/bbq sauce/ketchup/brown sauce etc you can add these for variations.<br><br>M

[old] Canoeist

General

Post by [old] Canoeist » July 23rd, 2004, 10:24 pm

I used to eat something refered to as "tuna glop". It is the same thing as Bayko described, but alos add a 1/2 pound of Muenster cheese to make everthing stick together better. For variety, add some pepper or other seasonings. Wash contents down with two beers.<br><br>This usually filled me up. I don't know how a lightweight could eat so much. Maybe that is why he left out the extra cheese? <br><br>Cheers, <br><br>Paul Flack

[old] Phil

General

Post by [old] Phil » July 24th, 2004, 6:45 am

When one of our crew did risotta for a crew meal, he did it all in one wok (well, two due to the quantity needed, but both had the same stuff in). Fry all the vegetables (onions, mushrooms, peppers), add chicken. Keep frying. Fill up the wok with boiling water and lots of nice. Wait until the water boils away/is absorbed by the rice and eat. Simple!

[old] Mark Keating

General

Post by [old] Mark Keating » July 24th, 2004, 8:24 am

Hi Grams;<br><br>This is one of my favourites:<br><br>1 lb ground bison<br>1 cup ketchup<br>2 tbsp French's mustard<br>1 medium onion<br><br>Brown diced onion in frying pan with olive oil. Add remaining ingredients and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Great with Triscuits, cheese and pickles on the side. Bison is very lean and tasty. <br><br>Mark<br><br>

[old] grams

General

Post by [old] grams » July 24th, 2004, 9:58 am

Thanks, everyone. Keep them coming. The contest will close on the Ides of August (8/15/04).<br><br>Good stick-to-your-ribs stuff, all. I think some of you may look back with some nostalgia at your 'leaner' college days. It looks as though most of you mastered the art of chopping onions and other stuff, so I will not eliminate recipes that call for this amount of dexterity. He comes from a household that doesn't cook very much at all, so his skills are minimal at this point.<br><br>I have been writing down some of my own, from the days when I had 3 teen-agers around. And reading the 'Recipes from the Backs of Cans & Bottles' cookbook. <br><br>I'll check out the 'Starving Students' cookbook too.

[old] Canoeist

General

Post by [old] Canoeist » July 24th, 2004, 10:46 pm

Oatmeal is a good easy way to fill up with energy. Take one cup of oats and two cups of water and boil as directed on the back of the Quaker Oats box. Add some diced fruit and two tablespoons of brown sugar. Then add some milk to help it all slide down easier.<br><br>Omelets is another good way to get energy and protien. Break half a dozen eggs into a frying pan. Stir vigorously and heat. When the eggs start to solidify, add 1/4 to 1/2 pound of shredded cheddar cheese (a little Muenster is good too!). Add some peppers (and other favorite vegetables). Add black pepper and eat.<br><br>One of my most common meals didn't require cooking. It was much simpler. Get one dog bowl. Add 1/2 box of cerial. Add quart of milk. Eat! Repeat if necessary.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Paul Flack