Marathon Food

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Afterburner

General

Post by [old] Afterburner » July 25th, 2004, 6:59 pm

I'm going to be trying a 100k erg this week and am wondering what people would suggest for food that I can grab really fast and gulp down while I'm at it. The only thing that's come to me has been Gu and somehow I think that after 8hrs the stuff would make me puke. Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br><br>Heather<br>F20 170lbs 7:32.2 2k 3:18:06.6 marathon

[old] grams

General

Post by [old] grams » July 25th, 2004, 7:14 pm

I've switched to glucose tablets while I row. They go down pretty well, and I eat 2-3 of them about 5 minutes before my bonk times they keep me from hitting the wall. My bonk times are pretty consistent: 42 mins, 1 hour 5 mins, 1 hour 20 mins, and then at various times further along in a hm or marathon. <br><br>You can buy them at drug stores in the diabetic section. Don't forget to do some carb loading the night before.<br><br>BTW, your recipes are great. <br><br>Grams marathon 3 hours 43 mins

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 25th, 2004, 8:13 pm

Fig bars and water.<br><br>My favorite drink is Puslane blended with water.

[old] lowwall

General

Post by [old] lowwall » July 27th, 2004, 6:27 pm

I've never gone above 50k, but have down 8 marathons over the last 2 years.<br><br>If you are going at a very high pace, your food will need to be quite moist or you'll have a hard time getting it down. This limits you to fruit (I like bananas and peeled oranges cut into pieces and seedless grapes) and those gel type things cyclists use.<br><br>But for a 100k, I imagine you'll be going at a more reasonable pace, so you can eat drier stuff like Powerbars cut into pieces, dried fruit, and nuts without trouble.<br><br>I sometimes have protein cravings during long rows. Chicken cut into bite size chunks, deli meats rolled into tubes, even beef jerky, all help.<br><br>You can also make some simple sandwiches (PB&J, tuna salad, whatever you like) ahead of time, cut them into quarters, and eat them on short breaks.<br><br>For your beverage, I'd stick to sports drinks possibly cut with some water if you find them over salty. I've tried adding honey or sugar to up their calorie count, but the resulting drink is so sweet it isn't thirst quenching.<br><br>Maybe you can get someone to make you a fruit smoothie or run out and get you a Jamba Juice every couple of hours.<br><br>Alex

[old] Spectrum

General

Post by [old] Spectrum » August 4th, 2004, 3:59 am

Buggar, wish I had read this before I attempted my first ever marathon last weekend. I had one sip of drink at 90 mins, no food and no stops. <br>Was determined to break 3hrs. Stretch goal was 2hrs 56m. Result was 2hrs 54m 46s. Last 30 mins was tough. Next time I will be better prepared. Cheers

[old] cforce

General

Post by [old] cforce » August 4th, 2004, 10:04 am

Sprectrum, how many calories did you burn during that 100k?

[old] Canoeist

General

Post by [old] Canoeist » August 4th, 2004, 11:08 am

<!--QuoteBegin-lowwall+Jul 27 2004, 10:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (lowwall @ Jul 27 2004, 10:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I sometimes have protein cravings during long rows. Chicken cut into bite size chunks, deli meats rolled into tubes, even beef jerky, all help.<br><br>You can also make some simple sandwiches (PB&J, tuna salad, whatever you like) ahead of time, cut them into quarters, and eat them on short breaks.<br><br>Alex <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> I have rowed around 8 marathons too in the past four years. But, never once did I try eating something such as tuna. Just the thought of eating something like that during one of my rows gives me stomach cramps. Maybe if I slowed my pace down a bit and increased my distance to 100K, I would think otherwise. But when I am cranking along at a 1:50 pace, I don't have any extra blood going to the digestive system for breaking down protiens.<br><br>I usually drink about one liter before, and 3 liters of a sports drink during my marathons. (GO whilst in England, Gatoraide or PowerAid in the US) I take a small, quick drink every 5K and find that the frequent breaks gives me something to look forwards to during my rows. The small frequent breaks also allows the fluid to be absorbed and keeps the body properly hydrated. If you wait until you are thirsty, it is too late to remedy the situation.<br><br>Cheers, <br><br>Paul Flack

[old] Spectrum

General

Post by [old] Spectrum » August 5th, 2004, 5:15 am

Cforce - sorry it was only a marathon I did not a 100k, but the 100k distance is certainly one of my longer term goals. I never checked the calories burnt - probably cos I was too stuffed. Based on what I burnt during a recent 35k training row, I would estimate around 2700 cals for the FM.<br><br>Paul - How long are the breaks you take every 5kms during your marathons? Do you get off the erg or stay strapped up and just drink?<br><br>Cheers

[old] Canoeist

General

Post by [old] Canoeist » August 6th, 2004, 10:35 am

I try to limit my breaks to four to six seconds. They are short, but a great thing to look forward to! <br><br>I keep pulling with one arm during the break and use the other arm to grab my drink bottle. Two or three big gulps, and I am on my way again.<br><br>I recorded 3121 calories burnt during my fastest marathon last year. (2:34:09.0 31 spm, rowed on slides, 1:49.6 avg. pace)<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Paul Flack