One Rower's Thoughts About The Agganis Arena

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] arakawa

Competitions

Post by [old] arakawa » February 25th, 2006, 2:31 pm

Having rowed in both this year's and last year's CRASH-Bs, I thought I'd share my observations about the venues.<br /><br />+ I liked that the Agganis Arena was closer to the T stop than the Reggie Lewis Center is - less walking in the cold Boston February weather (it's currently 23 degrees F and snowing).<br /><br />+ I liked that there were enough warmup ergs. This year, I didn't have to wait several minutes for one to become free. I don't know if this is because there were more warmup ergs, fewer people warming up, or what. I didn't count warmup ergs this year or last.<br /><br />+ I liked that the competitors were closer to the seats. There weren't eight (or however many) lanes of an indoor track between the ergs and the front row seats. I was so close, they could probably actually hear me.<br /><br />- I disliked that there were no lockers in which I could stow my stuff at the Agganis Arena. I couldn't find any, and no one working the CRASH-B or the arena knew of any lockable lockers. I was stuck lugging my boots, jacket, and other sundries from place to place.<br /><br />- I disliked that, to get from the entrance to the Arena to the floor where the ergs were, you had to climb up 40 steps, then down 40 steps. It wasn't a problem before the race, but it was definitely a problem after the race (it could be argued that I should either take the elevator or be in better shape).

[old] Will

Competitions

Post by [old] Will » February 25th, 2006, 5:45 pm

The arena was also too hot!

[old] TomB722

Competitions

Post by [old] TomB722 » February 25th, 2006, 8:46 pm

agganis was much better<br />also there were lockers<br /><br />

[old] arakawa

Competitions

Post by [old] arakawa » February 26th, 2006, 10:47 am

<!--quoteo(post=57181:date=Feb 25 2006, 07:46 PM:name=TomB722)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(TomB722 @ Feb 25 2006, 07:46 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec-->also there were lockers </td></tr></table><br />Where were they (so I can find them next year)?

[old] Masonje

Competitions

Post by [old] Masonje » February 26th, 2006, 9:55 pm

What did you guys think of the air quality? My throat is still still recovering from what I found to be exceedingly dry air. <br /><br />I also found it interesting that the competitors had no view of any of the video screens of their race. One's position in the race is presented on the PM3 (current place, meters behind leader) so really seeing a video screen of the race isn't necessary. I organize the indoor event in St. Louis (we will be an official satellite regatta next year for the first time :) ) so I would be interested to know if racers prefer seeing the video monitors or is the info on the PM3 sufficient? I would love to be able to ditch the numerous video monitors I currently use for the sake of the competitors and just stick with the big screen for the spectators.<br /><br />Still, it was my first CRASH-B and I had a blast. My five year old daughter also had a great time and got autographs!<br /><br />John Mason <br />St. Louis Rowing Club<br />40 HWT<br /><br />

[old] Citroen

Competitions

Post by [old] Citroen » February 27th, 2006, 5:30 am

<!--quoteo(post=57334:date=Feb 27 2006, 01:55 AM:name=Masonje)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Masonje @ Feb 27 2006, 01:55 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>What did you guys think of the air quality? My throat is still still recovering from what I found to be exceedingly dry air. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I had exactly the same problem at BIRC at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham. The humidity was too low. So the Brits had a tactical advantage in that they had experienced it before.<br /><br /><!--quoteo(post=57334:date=Feb 27 2006, 01:55 AM:name=Masonje)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Masonje @ Feb 27 2006, 01:55 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I also found it interesting that the competitors had no view of any of the video screens of their race. One's position in the race is presented on the PM3 (current place, meters behind leader) so really seeing a video screen of the race isn't necessary. I organize the indoor event in St. Louis (we will be an official satellite regatta next year for the first time :) ) so I would be interested to know if racers prefer seeing the video monitors or is the info on the PM3 sufficient? I would love to be able to ditch the numerous video monitors I currently use for the sake of the competitors and just stick with the big screen for the spectators.<br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><a href="http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... ueHelp.doc" target="_blank">http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... elp.doc</a> has some notes on where to put the screen (which is primarily for the audience). Send an e-mail to ScottH @ Concept2.com to discuss it. <br /><br />When I'm rowing a race there are only two things I'm interested in on the monitor (metres left and pace of the current stroke). I'll glance down at the average pace, but I couldn't watch a screen I'm too busy. I'll leave it to my cox to tell me where I am relative to the others (if it's important).

[old] TomR/the elder

Competitions

Post by [old] TomR/the elder » February 27th, 2006, 10:20 am

John--<br /><br />For me, the information on the PM3 regarding my position in the race was sufficient. I was well back in the pack, and the information on the monitor let me focus on a couple of guys just a bit ahead of me and a couple of guys slightly behind. Trying to chase down someone w/ a 5 or 6 meter lead provided an incentive. <br /><br />The air was dry, but I only felt the effects slightly after the race. <br /><br />Tom

[old] Afterburner

Competitions

Post by [old] Afterburner » February 27th, 2006, 10:35 am

The air at Agganis was definitely too dry, but the hot vs cold thing I think went back and forth throughout the day, I remember sometimes feeling really hot and others really cold, this might explain why I heard ppl complaining about both. Interesting thing, it seemed like a lot of people pulled kind of slow this weekend, not where they should be (myself included, eek!) <br />I know for myself I pulled the same time that I did at Southern Sprints at the start of the month while sick. :? <br />All said and done, I went, didn't pull a very good piece, but had a great time anyways, it was nice getting to see some old friends again!<br /><br />Heather

[old] eparizeau

Competitions

Post by [old] eparizeau » February 27th, 2006, 1:24 pm

Air seemed fine to me. No special problems with it being too dry for me.<br /><br />I thought the Aggainis Center was terrific. Great parking. Great seating. Great atmosphere. I hope they keep it here for a while.<br /><br />Ernie

[old] c2bill

Competitions

Post by [old] c2bill » February 27th, 2006, 3:09 pm

i had someone come up to me after finishing a very long few days and tell me that the agganis center was absolutely terrible! and that our webcast was the "worst ever". arg. so it is nice to know that some people liked both.<br /><br /><br />The dry air was definitely problematic. in theory the air quality was computer controlled - we think that by requesting a different relative humidity next year we'll be able to do something about it. We may also be able to configure the banks of ergs differently to give other video display options.<br /><br />i'll ask about lockers - there were several in the downstairs locker rooms - but i'm not sure if all competitors had access to them.<br /><br />thanks for starting this thread - we have a lot to learn for next year.<br /><br />-bill

[old] arakawa

Competitions

Post by [old] arakawa » February 27th, 2006, 3:35 pm

<!--quoteo(post=57461:date=Feb 27 2006, 02:09 PM:name=c2bill)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(c2bill @ Feb 27 2006, 02:09 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec-->i had someone come up to me after finishing a very long few days and tell me that the agganis center was absolutely terrible! and that our webcast was the "worst ever". arg. so it is nice to know that some people liked both. </td></tr></table><br />I should've first thanked C2, CRASH-B, and anyone else involved in organizing this event. It's all too easy for me (and apparently others) to complain about things while being completely ignorant of the sheer amount of work it must take to put together an event like this.

[old] Afterburner

Competitions

Post by [old] Afterburner » February 27th, 2006, 3:43 pm

<!--quoteo--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec-->i had someone come up to me after finishing a very long few days and tell me that the agganis center was absolutely terrible! and that our webcast was the "worst ever". arg. so it is nice to know that some people liked both. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Unbelievable. The nerve of some people.<br />I'd say the air quality was actually pretty good, just really dry. The webcast, well, you guys haven't had a chance to clean it up yet, that makes a big difference, and even what's already up isn't bad.<br />As for the agganis arena, it's not a bad venue, and it's nice that there's so much space available for everyone, there's nothing worse than an overcrowded venue.<br />I think the race went off really well, and the organization/running of it was fabulous! I was definitely impressed. I'll be back next year! :) <br />Also, nice work with the camera, I enjoyed watching the big screen while I was there.<br /><br />Heather

[old] Citroen

Competitions

Post by [old] Citroen » February 27th, 2006, 7:01 pm

<!--quoteo(post=57461:date=Feb 27 2006, 07:09 PM:name=c2bill)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(c2bill @ Feb 27 2006, 07:09 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>i had someone come up to me after finishing a very long few days and tell me that the agganis center was absolutely terrible! and that our webcast was the "worst ever". arg. so it is nice to know that some people liked both.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The webcast was excellent (give or take the few minor technical hitches). The UK chatroom <i>interactive webcast </i>was a great idea (we had 29 folks chatting about your webcast at the peak).<br /><br />Thanks Bill (and all the C2 crew) for doing that stuff. <br /><br />Can you put that <i>25 years of CRASH-B</i> video back on your site somewhere?

[old] johnnybike

Competitions

Post by [old] johnnybike » February 27th, 2006, 7:09 pm

I thought the venue was excellent, easy to find on the T and not too far out of town.<br />Plenty of room and comfortable. Plenty of warm-up machines which was my main concern.<br /><br />The air was dry but not terribly and it certainly did not affect my row.<br /><br />I liked the t-shirts and the mugs. Disapointed that Xeno was not displaying as I wanted a couple of t-shirts/mugs etc from him. Yeah I know I could order by mail but then hassle with customs/tax and paying postage.<br /><br />To put a slightly different perspective on the event. As a first-timer, travelling from the UK it was great. My wife (a non-rower) and I both enjoyed the trip. I would like to compete there again next year but it is unlikely as we will not want to visit Boston again a year later. A great city but the world is a big oyster and if WIRC was in a different city then we would be tempted.<br /><br />As I said a slight slant on the original thread.<br /><br />

[old] TomB722

Competitions

Post by [old] TomB722 » February 27th, 2006, 7:13 pm

there were lockers down to the right of where the weigh in was. i didnt use them though so i guess i dont know if they were actually accessible to the public there<br /><br />i thought the air was fine, i didn't really notice it, to be honest