Ranger - News To Shock

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Porkchop

Competitions

Post by [old] Porkchop » January 31st, 2006, 11:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Ray79+Jan 31 2006, 09:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Ray79 @ Jan 31 2006, 09:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh Jesus................Here we go again.......... <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] Cant Climb

Competitions

Post by [old] Cant Climb » January 31st, 2006, 11:51 am

Rib injuries can be very tricky and take long time to heal.....if he damaged his cartilage when the injury first occurred he could have worsened it under the pressure of competition. My girlfriend tore ligaments in her rib cage just by sneezing, it took 6 months to completely heal.

[old] Ray79

Competitions

Post by [old] Ray79 » January 31st, 2006, 12:22 pm

I have to say I am having a hard time feeling sorry for Ranger in this situation. He made a rod for his own back with claims etc and now he has to put up with it.<br /><br />Great performances are to be admired in anyone, and in the past there is no doubt that ranger has performed at the highest level.<br /><br />But that is just it, it was in the past. I'm not going to say that he is or isnt any better or worse than he was a couple of years ago because I simply dont know. But when you contiually profess yourself to be the best rower in your division (and in many other divisions - Hwt younger age groups etc) which Ranger has done, it is bound to get peoples backs up a bit. Particularly when you provide no tangible evidence to back up the claims (like not racing for 2 years). Calling any world record "soft" is just not a nice thing to do. Even if you break it. It was the record that was there to be broken - simple as that.<br /><br />If Rangers injury was the cause of the handle down incident at the weekend, it is regretable, but that is just life. People get injured every day doing all kinds of sports. But he was the one who told us that it had cleared up, and we just had to take his word for it - like we do with everything else.<br /><br />I dont know why he stopped after 200 or 300m at the weekend, and frankly it wont have a massive affect on my life if i never find out, but surely with his level of fitness and volume of training, a comfortable 2km at 1:40 pace should have been a doddle. This was the man who thought 6:24 was within reach this year, and has made claims on 6:16!! <br /><br />If he gets there then all credit too him, but I wont be holding my breath.

[old] Gary Blackman

Competitions

Post by [old] Gary Blackman » January 31st, 2006, 12:25 pm

Its still funny, as even when Ranger is not here (and i am sure at some point he is reading all the comments and secretly laughing at us) we still all have opinions and views on what he has/haven't done.<br /><br />The more i read, and the more he posts, the more amusing i think it is, as obviously from seeing this is the most popular thread, he generates a lot of discussion (whether right or wrong) and this i think is a good thing for the Indoor Rowing community.<br /><br />I for one hope he comes back, after all he is a voice, and you can all take it or leave it, but to me whether i agree or disagree with some of his methods/ training issues advice etc, i would one rather read it and enjoy it, than it to have gone missing.<br /><br />For one reason, i really think Rich will not care whatever everyone else says, if and when he comes back. He loves the banter, and will all probably wind you lot up even more!<br /><br />I think its amusing! <br /><br />Come back soon Rich!....You enlighten the forums! (not saying you are right about most things though! )

[old] mpukita

Competitions

Post by [old] mpukita » January 31st, 2006, 12:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Jan 31 2006, 11:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Jan 31 2006, 11:28 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Ray79+Jan 31 2006, 09:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Ray79 @ Jan 31 2006, 09:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh Jesus................Here we go again.......... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />No no no ... just a little joking with "Chad" ... now I'm off to locate Tonto ... where the heck did he end up?

[old] JohnBOve

Competitions

Post by [old] JohnBOve » January 31st, 2006, 1:57 pm

<<Ok here is my theory with Ranger ->><br /><br />and<br /><br /><<I have always had more regard for those who achieve great things by dint of hard work and application and so I find these qualities intensely admirable.>><br /><br />Great things? Without minimalizing the achievement, he has an age group, weight-adjusted record on a piece of exercise equipment. (Xeno Mueller is a twice-medaled Olympian, to site just one other poster.)<br /><br />I don’t think he requires a theory and he certainly works hard, if his posts are to be believed. <br /><br />An observation requiring no theory is that the man is a world-class narcissist and he's been allowed to use this board as his full-length mirror. He posts here a half dozen times a day, entirely about himself, his workouts, his tirelessness, his strength, his endurance, his new stroke, his old stroke, his new drag factor, his old drag factor, his sit-ups, his stepping (his stepping!), his record and the records he assures us he will be shattering in the months and years ahead. (Did you know he has a world record?) I’ve never seen and can’t imagine a more shameless or monumental or preening self-regard. Again, Xeno offers a ready contrast.<br /><br />In light of that, I see nothing terribly unsporting in noting--even noting with glee and schadenfreude--that he quit in a race--spit the bit, as George Steinbrenner used to say. <br />

[old] Delilah

Competitions

Post by [old] Delilah » January 31st, 2006, 2:08 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Great things? Without minimalizing the achievement, he has an age group, weight-adjusted record on a piece of exercise equipment. (Xeno Mueller is a twice-medaled Olympian, to site just one other poster.)<br /><br />I don’t think he requires a theory and he certainly works hard, if his posts are to be believed. <br /><br />An observation requiring no theory is that the man is a world-class narcissist and he's been allowed to use this board as his full-length mirror. He posts here a half dozen times a day, entirely about himself, his workouts, his tirelessness, his strength, his endurance, his new stroke, his old stroke, his new drag factor, his old drag factor, his sit-ups, his stepping (his stepping!), his record and the records he assures us he will be shattering in the months and years ahead. (Did you know he has a world record?) I’ve never seen and can’t imagine a more shameless or monumental or preening self-regard. Again, Xeno offers a ready contrast. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I agree wholeheartedly with every single word of that - doesn't stop me admiring the colossal amount of work put in.<br />I also agree that those who live by the sword must expect to die by the sword and yes we have every right to a bit of malicious glee. (Assuming there is no major injury since nobody will wish that on their worst enemy I'm sure)<br />D

[old] FrancoisA

Competitions

Post by [old] FrancoisA » January 31st, 2006, 3:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-JohnBOve+Jan 31 2006, 05:57 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(JohnBOve @ Jan 31 2006, 05:57 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->An observation requiring no theory is that the man is a world-class narcissist and he's been allowed to use this board as his full-length mirror.  He posts here a half dozen times a day, entirely about himself, his workouts, his tirelessness, his strength, his endurance, his new stroke, his old stroke, his new drag factor, his old drag factor, his sit-ups, his stepping (his stepping!), his record and the records he assures us he will be shattering in the months and years ahead. (Did you know he has a world record?)  I’ve never seen and can’t imagine a more shameless or monumental or preening self-regard.  Again, Xeno offers a ready contrast. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I also agree, but it doesn't bother me as much as the condescending posts like:<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Dec 20 2005, 09:10 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ranger @ Dec 20 2005, 09:10 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->HISTORY. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.<br /><br />I admire your ambitious goals. Nonetheless, at the moment they are just goals that I have already accomplished.<br /><br />I have moved on to other things: trying to get better yet.<br /><br />I already have a hammer and world record rows. When you get there, we can exchange talk eye-to-eye about workouts, goals, strategies for improvement, work on endurance with stroking power and how it might be accomplished, etc. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You are also quite right in contrasting Xeno Muller with Ranger. Xeno is a true champion: physically, mentally and spiritually.<br /><br />I am currently coached by a nice lady in her mid forty, and have spent many hours talking with her over the past few years, and she has never alluded to the fact that she was a current WR holder. I've found that out by looking at the FINA Web site. One day I mentioned that to her, and she blushed! Talk about humility! In my book, she is also a true champion.<br /><br />All the great athletes I have met were self confident, yet humble; the antithesis of narcissists.<br /><br />We cannot reach our true potentials as human being, let alone as athletes, all by ourselves. We need the encouragement, advise, support and love of others. A complete narcissist is far less likely to get that supporting environment and is in effect "shouting himself in the foot".<br /><br />Francois<br />

[old] Delilah

Competitions

Post by [old] Delilah » January 31st, 2006, 3:45 pm

Francois,<br />Again I am in complete agreement and I certainly echo your comments about humility being something that enhances the aura surrounding the true champions.<br /><br />I also managed to miss that Ranger quote .........He really does post some things that are blindingly arrogant and it is hard to not to entertain thoughts that are somewhat less than charitable when he does trip up.<br />D

[old] FrancoisA

Competitions

Post by [old] FrancoisA » January 31st, 2006, 4:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Delilah+Jan 31 2006, 07:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Delilah @ Jan 31 2006, 07:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->He really does post some things that are blindingly arrogant and it is hard to not to entertain thoughts that are somewhat less than charitable when he does trip up. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Delilah, don't get me wrong, I do not entertain any uncharitable thoughts about Ranger. I have always sincerely wished him the best of luck. I find it sad that he hurt himself by tampering with the DF at the last minute, against the advise of many knowledgeable people on the forum (Paul Smith amongst others). <br /><br />

[old] chrisa770

Competitions

Post by [old] chrisa770 » January 31st, 2006, 4:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-FrancoisA+Jan 31 2006, 04:13 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrancoisA @ Jan 31 2006, 04:13 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Delilah+Jan 31 2006, 07:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Delilah @ Jan 31 2006, 07:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->He really does post some things that are blindingly arrogant and it is hard to not to entertain thoughts that are somewhat less than charitable when he does trip up. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Delilah, don't get me wrong, I do not entertain any uncharitable thoughts about Ranger. I have always sincerely wished him the best of luck. I find it sad that he hurt himself by tampering with the DF at the last minute, against the advise of many knowledgeable people on the forum (Paul Smith amongst others). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Where's Ranger? I truly miss the input.

[old] mpukita

Competitions

Post by [old] mpukita » January 31st, 2006, 4:51 pm

It's like an online wake ...

[old] george nz

Competitions

Post by [old] george nz » January 31st, 2006, 5:11 pm

Just watching a 10sec video clip of Ranger warming up but cant make out the 6 beat drive, suspension or anything surreal in the stroke - in fact I am not sure it is that different to anything else I have seen.<br /><br />He looks fine to me at that stage<br /><br />George

[old] Citroen

Competitions

Post by [old] Citroen » January 31st, 2006, 5:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 31 2006, 08:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 31 2006, 08:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It's like an online wake ... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Unfortunately not. This thread is still alive and kicking.<br /><br />The <i>very</i> worst part of this is that if Rich doesn't race this year then we'll have another year of this crap to endure in the run up to the 2007 WIRC race.<br /><br />

[old] mpukita

Competitions

Post by [old] mpukita » January 31st, 2006, 5:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 31 2006, 05:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 31 2006, 05:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 31 2006, 08:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 31 2006, 08:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It's like an online wake ... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Unfortunately not. This thread is still alive and kicking.<br /><br />The <i>very</i> worst part of this is that if Rich doesn't race this year then we'll have another year of this crap to endure in the run up to the 2007 WIRC race. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Yes Dougie, but I feel many would push the "ignore" button and move on if that were to happen ...