Ergomania Logistic Questions

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] bobamiller

Competitions

Post by [old] bobamiller » January 11th, 2006, 12:56 am

I plan to enter my first erg competition in a couple of weeks at Seattle's Ergomania and have a few simple questions about what to expect. TIA for any answers. In no particular order:<br /><br />What's the bathroom situation? (Having entered road races in the past, where the lines for the port-a-potti were 30 minutes long, I've learned to ask up front.)<br /><br />How much time can I reasonably expect on a warmup erg? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? More? Less?<br /><br />How close, timewise, can I expect my opportunity on a warmup erg to be to the race?<br /><br />How will the display on the PM3 be set during competition?<br /><br />Anything else I should have asked but didn't?<br /><br />Any advice in general for someone's first erg competition?<br /><br />Bob Miller<br />ramiller@blarg.net<br />

[old] mpukita

Competitions

Post by [old] mpukita » January 11th, 2006, 8:36 am

I'd add a request for:<br /><br />. a "checklist" of what to do (i.e. how/when can one set drag factor, etc.)<br /><br />. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency?<br /><br />

[old] Citroen

Competitions

Post by [old] Citroen » January 11th, 2006, 9:39 am

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Weigh-in wearing your swimming Speedos then race in your All-In-One or shorts/tank top or shorts/t-shirt.

[old] ehagberg

Competitions

Post by [old] ehagberg » January 11th, 2006, 9:50 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 08:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 08:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Weigh-in wearing your swimming Speedos then race in your All-In-One or shorts/tank top or shorts/t-shirt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Some places require weigh-in in what you'll be rowing in - though I guess that's just for OTW rowing, where teams have to have uniforms.<br /><br />On the other hand, I've never been to an IRC where they allowed disrobing completely for weigh-in, so you'll have to allow for some clothing.

[old] PaulS

Competitions

Post by [old] PaulS » January 11th, 2006, 10:02 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bobamiller+Jan 10 2006, 08:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bobamiller @ Jan 10 2006, 08:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I plan to enter my first erg competition in a couple of weeks at Seattle's Ergomania and have a few simple questions about what to expect. TIA for any answers. In no particular order:<br /><br />What's the bathroom situation? (Having entered road races in the past, where the lines for the port-a-potti were 30 minutes long, I've learned to ask up front.)<br /><br />How much time can I reasonably expect on a warmup erg? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? More? Less?<br /><br />How close, timewise, can I expect my opportunity on a warmup erg to be to the race?<br /><br />How will the display on the PM3 be set during competition?<br /><br />Anything else I should have asked but didn't?<br /><br />Any advice in general for someone's first erg competition?<br /><br />Bob Miller<br />ramiller@blarg.net <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><a href='http://www.pocockrowingcenter.org/ergom ... mania.html' target='_blank'>ErgoMania 2006</a><br /><br />It's in the Seattle Center (Center house) again this year so the bathroom situation is very good.<br /><br />You will likely be able to be seated at your Erg 10 minutes before your race, but there are many warm-up Ergs available.<br /><br />Set the Units that you like to see the most, typically I see a lot of the PM's set to display Average Pace as the "optional" unit. The bottom half of the display will be occupied with race information, get close and watch it on a few races before yours if possible.<br /><br />Have a plan ready for your warm-up and pre-race routine, along with some sort of race strategy, there are many to choose from.<br /><br />These are great days to PB, so plan for some improvement on previous marks, but remember that the first 500m is always easy when jacked up off the starting line, those paces that are 10 seconds faster than PB pace are still costing as much as they ever did even though it doesn't feel like it. <br /><br />Above all, have fun and enjoy the day. It's hard to describe how fun these actually are, both competitors and spectators really get into it.

[old] mpukita

Competitions

Post by [old] mpukita » January 11th, 2006, 11:22 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Weigh-in wearing your swimming Speedos then race in your All-In-One or shorts/tank top or shorts/t-shirt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Dougie:<br /><br />Good idea, although I'll have to go buy one. Over here, they're popular only for swim teams. My daughter would shoot me if I showed up at the beach wearing a Speedo!<br /><br /> <br /><br />-- Mark

[old] arakawa

Competitions

Post by [old] arakawa » January 11th, 2006, 11:59 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ehagberg+Jan 11 2006, 08:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ehagberg @ Jan 11 2006, 08:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->On the other hand, I've never been to an IRC where they allowed disrobing completely for weigh-in, so you'll have to allow for some clothing.[right] </td></tr></table><br />At my weigh-in for CRASH-B 2005, they allowed the men to weigh in au naturel. Most of us weighed in in our underwear.

[old] mpukita

Competitions

Post by [old] mpukita » January 11th, 2006, 12:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 11:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 11:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Weigh-in wearing your swimming Speedos then race in your All-In-One or shorts/tank top or shorts/t-shirt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Dougie:<br /><br />Good idea, although I'll have to go buy one. Over here, they're popular only for swim teams. My daughter would shoot me if I showed up at the beach wearing a Speedo!<br /><br /> <br /><br />-- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br />So would my wife for that matter!<br /><br />

[old] mpukita

Competitions

Post by [old] mpukita » January 11th, 2006, 1:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 11:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 11:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Weigh-in wearing your swimming Speedos then race in your All-In-One or shorts/tank top or shorts/t-shirt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Dougie:<br /><br />Good idea, although I'll have to go buy one. Over here, they're popular only for swim teams. My daughter would shoot me if I showed up at the beach wearing a Speedo!<br /><br /> <br /><br />-- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br />So would my wife for that matter!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />164.5 pounds today ... I'm gonna need a really small Speedo ... or something made of space-age material ...<br /><br /> <br />

[old] Citroen

Competitions

Post by [old] Citroen » January 11th, 2006, 3:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 05:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 05:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 11:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 11:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Weigh-in wearing your swimming Speedos then race in your All-In-One or shorts/tank top or shorts/t-shirt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Dougie:<br /><br />Good idea, although I'll have to go buy one. Over here, they're popular only for swim teams. My daughter would shoot me if I showed up at the beach wearing a Speedo!<br /><br /> <br /><br />-- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br />So would my wife for that matter!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />164.5 pounds today ... I'm gonna need a really small Speedo ... or something made of space-age material ...<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />How about a roll of cling film ([usa]saran film[/usa]) food wrap? <br />Or this:<br /><a href='http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.d ... ode=CANPOS' target='_blank'>http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.d ... =CANPOS</a>

[old] mpukita

Competitions

Post by [old] mpukita » January 11th, 2006, 3:41 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 03:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 03:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 05:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 05:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 11:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 11:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Weigh-in wearing your swimming Speedos then race in your All-In-One or shorts/tank top or shorts/t-shirt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Dougie:<br /><br />Good idea, although I'll have to go buy one. Over here, they're popular only for swim teams. My daughter would shoot me if I showed up at the beach wearing a Speedo!<br /><br /> <br /><br />-- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br />So would my wife for that matter!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />164.5 pounds today ... I'm gonna need a really small Speedo ... or something made of space-age material ...<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />How about a roll of cling film food wrap? <br />Or this:<br /><a href='http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.d ... ode=CANPOS' target='_blank'>http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.d ... =CANPOS</a> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Dougie, I'm not <b>even </b>going to ask how you came to find that link ...<br /><br />

[old] Citroen

Competitions

Post by [old] Citroen » January 11th, 2006, 3:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 07:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 07:41 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 03:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 03:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 05:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 05:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 11:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 11:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 09:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Weigh-in wearing your swimming Speedos then race in your All-In-One or shorts/tank top or shorts/t-shirt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Dougie:<br /><br />Good idea, although I'll have to go buy one. Over here, they're popular only for swim teams. My daughter would shoot me if I showed up at the beach wearing a Speedo!<br /><br /> <br /><br />-- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br />So would my wife for that matter!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />164.5 pounds today ... I'm gonna need a really small Speedo ... or something made of space-age material ...<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />How about a roll of cling film food wrap? <br />Or this:<br /><a href='http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.d ... ode=CANPOS' target='_blank'>http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.d ... =CANPOS</a> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Dougie, I'm not <b>even </b>going to ask how you came to find that link ...<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The rest of that site is full of big boys toys that we need. It's our version of <a href='http://www.thinkgeek.com' target='_blank'>http://www.thinkgeek.com</a>

[old] cbrock

Competitions

Post by [old] cbrock » January 12th, 2006, 2:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 09:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 09:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Weigh-in wearing your swimming Speedos then race in your All-In-One or shorts/tank top or shorts/t-shirt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Dougie,<br />Some more questions:<br />(1) At the weigh-in do you only have one chance at meeting your weight.<br /><br />(2) If you are a few grams over are you allowed to go for a run and weigh in again?<br /><br />(3) If you are seated on the ergo with 6 mins to go and deveop an urgent need to go to the toilet will you be allowed back in?<br /><br />These are questions which MUST be answered.<br /><br />Regards,<br />Chris<br /><br />

[old] mpukita

Competitions

Post by [old] mpukita » January 12th, 2006, 8:57 am

<!--QuoteBegin-cbrock+Jan 12 2006, 02:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(cbrock @ Jan 12 2006, 02:53 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 11 2006, 09:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 11 2006, 09:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. explain the weigh-in process ... I may be so close to 75kg that I've gotta be ... cover your ears <b>and </b>eyes ... without clothing ... are most races set up to accomodate this without my getting cited for public indecency? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Weigh-in wearing your swimming Speedos then race in your All-In-One or shorts/tank top or shorts/t-shirt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Dougie,<br />Some more questions:<br />(1) At the weigh-in do you only have one chance at meeting your weight.<br /><br />(2) If you are a few grams over are you allowed to go for a run and weigh in again?<br /><br />(3) If you are seated on the ergo with 6 mins to go and deveop an urgent need to go to the toilet will you be allowed back in?<br /><br />These are questions which MUST be answered.<br /><br />Regards,<br />Chris <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />

[old] grams

Competitions

Post by [old] grams » January 12th, 2006, 1:09 pm

ANSWERS: I went last year and watched. The year before it was held at the rowing center and I competed (my first time) in the ladies lw 60-69 event. It was an interesting head trip. See comments below.<br /><br /><i>What's the bathroom situation?</i> <br /><br />Its in the Seattle Center Food Court-built for the Worlds Fair in 1962. There is a large central court with food booths all around, a stage at one end, and public bathrooms in a corridor off the main floor. You shouldn't have to wait.<br /><br /><i>How much time can I reasonably expect on a warmup erg? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? More? Less?</i><br /><br />The area for Ergmania is in front of the stage. The racing ergs are set up there in about 3 rows facing the stage. There is a large screen onstage where the comouterized race inf (including the countdown) is displayed. The countdown time is randomized to prevent folks jumping the gun.<br /><br />There were about 8 warm-up ergs set up to the side. I believe you can have 10 minutes if you want-it will depend on how many ergers are in events near yours. Us old ladies don't have to worry about too many others warming up when we do...<br /><br /><i>How close, timewise, can I expect my opportunity on a warmup erg to be to the race?</i><br /><br />They are only about 30' away, so there is no travel time. There may be a signup for warmups-there was for passersby to try out an erg.<br /><br /><i>How will the display on the PM3 be set during competition?</i><br />PaulS answered this one.<br /><br /><i>At the weigh-in do you only have one chance at meeting your weight? If you are a few grams over are you allowed to go for a run and weigh in again?</i><br /><br />Don't know-I believe the scales were right there in the middle of it all in a public place, (Food Court). Whether you can try once and then try again a bit later is up to the officials. Ask them. When it was held at the Pockock Center we were allowed to weigh in the afternoon before, which I did. It turned out to be a disadvantage, because I weighed in as a lw, then I ate too much that night...<br /><br /><i>If you are seated on the ergo with 6 mins to go and deveop an urgent need to go to the toilet will you be allowed back in?</i><br />I would think so. Relax, its only a race.<br /><br />One thing I thought was distracting was the smells of all the cooking food-coffee, Chinese, Italian, bread baking. <br /><br />If you're nervous write down your warm up on a 3x5 card & tape it down on your warm up machine. It will provide something to keep you focused at the most stomach-churning moment.<br /><br />Record your drag factor from your home machine & when you sit down to warm up, set your drag. Be sure to set your drag on your race machine, as well as change the foot height.<br /><br />Pack everything the night before - remember shoes & seat pad.<br /><br />Bring a friend/relative/spouse to cheer, but also to hold down the back of the erg if technique breaks down & your erg starts to move forward or backward. Have a race plan (splits & stroke rate you want to hold at various points in the race) & tell your "cheering section" so they can properly urge you on.<br /><br />What I learned:<br />Start training in the 2000 meter event much earlier. I started 1 week before.<br />Don't change diet in the last week.<br />Don't eat too much the night before just because you weighed in already!!<br />Everyone coughs for a while after their event<br />My grandson is a good cox<br />LISTEN TO YOUR COACH'S ADVICE<br />FOLLOW YOUR COACH'S ADVICE<br />Don't go out too fast-especially way too fast!!<br />Don't slack off when you see that there is no one you can catch, and no one catching you.<br />No matter how much water I drink before my event, I will still have 'dry mouth' big time.<br />Have someone video you and the others in the race. <br />Replay the video and analyze your stroke vs the better rowers, and work on your technique.<br /><br />Bottom line: It is a privilege to participate in an event with world-class athletes. The World Champion in my class was in my event. And it's not about the erg, its about what I learned from the experience. <br /><br />grams<br /><br /><br />