Sprint Finishes

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] kamdo

Competitions

Post by [old] kamdo » June 9th, 2004, 3:47 pm

Bayko,<br> Interesting point. I wasn't aware the splits for Wottle were so even. I'm not sure that was the case with Ryun, but I'd have to check out the history books. Thanks for the clarification.<br><br>Kevin

[old] Bayko

Competitions

Post by [old] Bayko » June 9th, 2004, 4:23 pm

kamdo,<br><br>Doing all this from memory , but the recollections are that Wottle was famous for negative splitting in collegiate races. His Olympic final win though had 200m splits of 26.4, 26.5, 26.5, 26.5 (not sure of the order).<br><br>Ryun's WR of 3:51.1 I believe was done with a 1:59 first half, running with the pack, followed by 59 second third lap alone, and a 53.1 second "long kick." He wrote that it was a remarkably effortless run. That he felt so good that he thought he'd run in the 3:54 to 3:56 range. It was a record that stood up for about seven years, when Filbert Bayi (famous for 53 second FIRST laps) beat it by 0.1 seconds.<br><br>A year later at the Mexico Olympics Ben Jipco ran the kick out of Ryun with an early blistering pace, setting up Kip Keino to pass late in the race for the win.<br><br>Golden days.<br><br>Rick

[old] Mike H

Competitions

Post by [old] Mike H » June 14th, 2004, 4:30 am

Going back to the rowing... I find that on the ergo I push from 220 metres out, but in the water it so depends on what the crew next to you is doing - which adds to the excitement in my view.<br><br>One 4+ S2 race last year we were racing over 2k and were neck and neck for 1400m, our cox then called (at the same time as their cox) the final sprint to the line, which we lost by a foot. 600m flat out sprint, resulted in 5 from the 8 rowers throwing up. Awesome! Couldn´t even paddle back to the boathouse we were so knackered!

[old] Rocket Roy

Competitions

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » June 14th, 2004, 3:30 pm

Mike , were the other 3 not trying hard enough, is that why only 5 of you threw up?

[old] matteo

Competitions

Post by [old] matteo » June 15th, 2004, 10:27 am

I agree with the first post on this - you shouldn't have enough left to sprint at the end of a 2K race....you should gradually tie up with lactic. And this I would say is the prefect 2K, but most ergers are not experienced enough to do this and this is why we always seem to have a sprint finish.