Air Circulation And Heart Rate

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] aledieps

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] aledieps » February 21st, 2006, 1:08 am

Does your heart rate increase to keep you cooler? I erg in a gym which has very poor air circulation and I find my heart rate higher than normal when erging here. I was wondering if your heart rate would increase to keep you cooler? I'm assuming so.

[old] tomraven

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] tomraven » February 21st, 2006, 1:29 am

I am not sure if your heart rate is higher in a hotter environment, but I did notice that when I sit hunched up my heart rate was 8 to 10 beats per min higher than when I sat straifght up.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tom

[old] sharp_rower

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] sharp_rower » February 21st, 2006, 7:51 am

I row in a gym which doesn't seem to have good air circulation or very good air at all for that matter, and I've tried to cut down the amount of time I spend in there because I don't think it's very healthy to row in such conditions (I do a quick running warm-up to the gym, outside; I hop on the erg and do a 2k, and then I leave!). I don't know about heart rate but I'm wondering what you think about rowing in a gym with poor air circulation. I guess I'm a bit paranoid, but I'm wondering if doing extended cardio workouts (like rowing) in a gym with poor air circulation (they also diffuse some kind of chemical perfume in the air which I'm sure is terrible if you breathe in too much of it) can have negative long-term consequences on the health.

[old] aledieps

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] aledieps » February 21st, 2006, 9:11 am

<!--quoteo(post=56600:date=Feb 21 2006, 06:51 AM:name=sharp_rower)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sharp_rower @ Feb 21 2006, 06:51 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I row in a gym which doesn't seem to have good air circulation or very good air at all for that matter, and I've tried to cut down the amount of time I spend in there because I don't think it's very healthy to row in such conditions (I do a quick running warm-up to the gym, outside; I hop on the erg and do a 2k, and then I leave!). I don't know about heart rate but I'm wondering what you think about rowing in a gym with poor air circulation. I guess I'm a bit paranoid, but I'm wondering if doing extended cardio workouts (like rowing) in a gym with poor air circulation (they also diffuse some kind of chemical perfume in the air which I'm sure is terrible if you breathe in too much of it) can have negative long-term consequences on the health.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />A person would probably be chronically overheating, but im no thermal biologist, I don't beleive it could be good for the rower. The chemical perfume is just weird, who does that? A better solution would be to clean the machines so it doesn't smell :lol:

[old] BobD

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] BobD » February 21st, 2006, 12:42 pm

<!--quoteo(post=56608:date=Feb 21 2006, 08:11 AM:name=aledieps)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(aledieps @ Feb 21 2006, 08:11 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quoteo(post=56600:date=Feb 21 2006, 06:51 AM:name=sharp_rower)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sharp_rower @ Feb 21 2006, 06:51 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I row in a gym which doesn't seem to have good air circulation or very good air at all for that matter, and I've tried to cut down the amount of time I spend in there because I don't think it's very healthy to row in such conditions (I do a quick running warm-up to the gym, outside; I hop on the erg and do a 2k, and then I leave!). I don't know about heart rate but I'm wondering what you think about rowing in a gym with poor air circulation. I guess I'm a bit paranoid, but I'm wondering if doing extended cardio workouts (like rowing) in a gym with poor air circulation (they also diffuse some kind of chemical perfume in the air which I'm sure is terrible if you breathe in too much of it) can have negative long-term consequences on the health.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />A person would probably be chronically overheating, but im no thermal biologist, I don't beleive it could be good for the rower. The chemical perfume is just weird, who does that? A better solution would be to clean the machines so it doesn't smell :lol:<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Heat increases Heart Rate, Cold decreases HR. These changes are on top of or in addition too your exercise induced HR. That's why when it's really hot you better slow down or execise when it's cooler. If you are cold your HR will not increase as fast as at normal tempertaures. :D

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » February 21st, 2006, 12:49 pm

<!--quoteo(post=56600:date=Feb 21 2006, 03:51 AM:name=sharp_rower)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sharp_rower @ Feb 21 2006, 03:51 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>they also diffuse some kind of chemical perfume in the air which I'm sure is terrible if you breathe in too much of it) can have negative long-term consequences on the health.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Maybe they're trying to kill bugs.

[old] aledieps

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] aledieps » February 21st, 2006, 2:53 pm

Sweet, thanks Bob D for the straightforward answer i was looking for, and thanks to Rupp as always for his comedic gold. :)

[old] TurboCog

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] TurboCog » February 21st, 2006, 6:58 pm

Can I add that heart rate increase due to increased core temperature is known as cardiac drift. It's even worse on an indoor bike. Training graphs show the HR increasing even though the wattage output may remain constant. The heart is working overtime to keep you cool instead of delivering power. Inefficient and distressing. The use of a powerful cooling fan makes a lot of difference. A poorly ventilated gym is a bad gym - go see a man about a fan :)