Trigger Point Therapy Workbook

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Mark Keating

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Mark Keating » September 20th, 2005, 11:41 pm

For the last two weeks until Saturday I had been unable to touch my toes due to back pain, and I had hernia-like pain through my groin and nether regions as well. Not erg-related, but work-related injury. Actually, I fell off of a horse.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 7?v=glance' target='_blank'>The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook</a> led me to a series of trigger points in my lower abs where the muscle attaches to the hip bone. It hurt like h*** to massage them initially but my back pain was noticeably better almost immediately, and today (three days later) I am practically pain free.<br /><br />This is by far the best therapy I have had yet for back pain, so I thought I should share it. A combination of chiropractic, muscle relaxants and conventional massage therapy over the last two weeks pales in comparison. I'd be interested to hear of others' experience with this type of therapy in the long-run.<br /><br />Back to work,<br />Mark<br /><br />

[old] LandLocked

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] LandLocked » September 25th, 2005, 10:40 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, I just requested the book from the library. Hopefully it will have something helpful for chronic shin splints or headaches.

[old] mforge

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] mforge » October 3rd, 2005, 8:27 am

I had the same problem a couple years ago. Only mine went on for about a month. It got so bad, it took me three minutes every morning just to get out of bed. I was told by more than one doctor that I had a hernia even though it was not externally detectable. Finally, as a last ditch effort, I saw an osteopath who happened to be trained in trigger point therapy. He located several trigger points in my lower back he said were causing the pain. By the time I left his office, I felt better than I had in weeks. I purchased a book on "Myotherapy" by Bonnie Pruden and a tool called a "Backnobber" so I could continue treating the trigger points myself. After about a week, I was as good as new.<br /><br />I later purchased the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook and have since used it time and time again to relieve pain from weightlifting and running related "injuries." The discovery of trigger points as a cause of back and joint pain has truly changed my athletic life.

[old] Mark Keating

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Mark Keating » October 24th, 2005, 10:13 am

<!--QuoteBegin-mforge+Oct 3 2005, 07:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mforge @ Oct 3 2005, 07:27 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I purchased a book on "Myotherapy" by Bonnie Pruden and a tool called a "Backnobber" so I could continue treating the trigger points myself. After about a week, I was as good as new. <br /> </td></tr></table> <br />I received my "Thera Cane" about two weeks ago and have experienced similar success with it. The trigger points that have been causing me considerable back and groin pain are in my buttock and hip muscles as well as my hamstrings.<br /><br />I highly recommend both the book and the cane.

[old] LandLocked

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] LandLocked » November 25th, 2005, 1:30 am

I finally read the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, I’ve had it out from the library for a while. It’s interesting and I’ve been working on the trigger points in my calves & shins for my shin splints. <br />I think it’s doing good, but I have a question. Have either of you, or anyone else, given yourself bruises working on their trigger points? Or am I just extra talented? <br />

[old] Mark Keating

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Mark Keating » November 25th, 2005, 10:41 am

<!--QuoteBegin-LandLocked+Nov 25 2005, 12:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LandLocked @ Nov 25 2005, 12:30 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I finally read the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, I’ve had it out from the library for a while. It’s interesting and I’ve been working on the trigger points in my calves & shins for my shin splints. <br />I think it’s doing good, but I have a question. Have either of you, or anyone else, given yourself bruises working on their trigger points? Or am I just extra talented? <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I haven't <i>seen</i> any bruises, but the points on my abs where they connect to the hip/pelvic area were <b>extremely</b> sensitive and inflamed for two to three days after I began massaging them, so I wouldn't doubt there was some bruising there.<br /><br />I continued with the massage, but with lighter pressure, and everything was OK after a couple more days.<br /><br />Mark