Crosstraining To Avoid Erg Burnout

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] bsemaiktehr

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] bsemaiktehr » May 16th, 2005, 10:40 pm

I bought my Model D back in December, and I've gotten some decent use out of it. Our team's spring season just ended (Southeast Junior Regionals in Aiken SC) and its into the offseason for me. I plan on doing lots of erging this summer - my goal is to be in the 6:30's by september. Anyway -- I need to make sure I don't get burned out of erg training. What kind of schedule do you experienced guys recommend for a three month offseason?<br /><br />Besides the erg, I'll have access to a pool and weights, a bike, the outdoors (running), and I'll consider anything else.<br /><br />-tory

[old] DIESEL

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] DIESEL » May 17th, 2005, 11:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bsemaiktehr+May 16 2005, 09:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bsemaiktehr @ May 16 2005, 09:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I bought my Model D back in December, and I've gotten some decent use out of it. Our team's spring season just ended (Southeast Junior Regionals in Aiken SC) and its into the offseason for me.  I plan on doing lots of erging this summer - my goal is to be in the 6:30's by september. Anyway -- I need to make sure I don't get burned out of erg training.  What kind of schedule do you experienced guys recommend for a three month offseason?<br /><br />Besides the erg, I'll have access to a pool and weights, a bike, the outdoors (running), and I'll consider anything else.<br /><br />-tory <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />www.crossfit.com <br /><br />you can't get much better than that. Do their training for a summer and you'll be more than ready for the fall season.

[old] PaulS

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] PaulS » May 17th, 2005, 11:46 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bsemaiktehr+May 16 2005, 06:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bsemaiktehr @ May 16 2005, 06:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I bought my Model D back in December, and I've gotten some decent use out of it. Our team's spring season just ended (Southeast Junior Regionals in Aiken SC) and its into the offseason for me.  I plan on doing lots of erging this summer - my goal is to be in the 6:30's by september. Anyway -- I need to make sure I don't get burned out of erg training.  What kind of schedule do you experienced guys recommend for a three month offseason?<br /><br />Besides the erg, I'll have access to a pool and weights, a bike, the outdoors (running), and I'll consider anything else.<br /><br />-tory <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />If you've got a good choice of varied terrain on which to ride a bike (roads), figure out a couple of good 40 mile paths and do that on nice days, take lots of water along and know of a few refilling places along the way.<br /><br />Keep the Erging sessions relatively short (6k) to guaratee complete concentration on technique and maintaining good intensity. Use the time wisely and learn how to hit your target paces as easily as possible, within the constraints of S10PS (Strapless, 10m Per Stroke).<br /><br />Forget Running, unless you really like it, it's just too much shock to impose on your body, IMO. A good bit of hiking through hills can be quite beneficial if you are in a good area for that sort of thing.<br /><br />Set some incremental goals for all of your training and keep track of them as you achieve.<br />

[old] michaelb

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] michaelb » May 17th, 2005, 11:47 am

Well you already seem big and strong. But you are young and can get a lot bigger. So lifting properly would be a good thing. Looking at your times though, your longer distance are not as strong as the sprints. Your 5k for example could be as low as 18:10 or better compared to your 2k. So working on endurance and CV fitness would also be good. I love to bike, but running is probably better cross training; either would be fine for developing overall CV fitness.<br /><br />Rowing indoors in SC in the summer would just be miserable to me. Row enough in that heat, and I would be swimming. But you should row some just to keep that muscle memory fresh.