Serious Back Strain Erging, Recovery Help

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] jschmidt63

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] jschmidt63 » February 8th, 2005, 10:50 pm

Two weeks ago this past Saturday I had my first 15k erg and felt very good. Felt fine on Sunday following. Then that Monday I attacked a 10k without warming up enough and the lower back pain began. Like a dumb @*! I rowed the next day and then next, each day getting more sore in lower back. I think part of the lower back soreness is I have been lowering my SPM which I assume puts more stress on lower back?<br /><br />Well last week I didnt row at all, cross trained with stationary bike and stairmaster. The trainer at the gym said lay off stairmaster, minimal stationary bike, dont push too hard to recover. Last Friday visited my doctor. No spinal/disk damage just serious muscle pull/strain.<br /><br />After this weekend of minimul effort still sore in lower back, sometimes get muscle tightness and spasms in other muscle groups in back. <br /><br />Went back to doctor today. He set me up with a PT to have a look. I am doing okay just very sore and never had the muscle soreness extend into two weeks.<br /><br />Looks like my first 6k indoor regetta on March 5th is a no go <br /><br />Any advice greatly appriciated.<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />John

[old] Stuart Mc

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Stuart Mc » February 8th, 2005, 10:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jschmidt63+Feb 8 2005, 09:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jschmidt63 @ Feb 8 2005, 09:50 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Two weeks ago this past Saturday I had my first 15k erg and felt very good. Felt fine on Sunday following. Then that Monday I attacked a 10k without warming up enough and the lower back pain began. Like a dumb @*! I rowed the next day and then next, each day getting more sore in lower back. I think part of the lower back soreness is I have been lowering my SPM which I assume puts more stress on lower back?<br /><br />Well last week I didnt row at all, cross trained with stationary bike and stairmaster. The trainer at the gym said lay off stairmaster, minimal stationary bike, dont push too hard to recover. Last Friday visited my doctor. No spinal/disk damage just serious muscle pull/strain.<br /><br />After this weekend of minimul effort still sore in lower back, sometimes get muscle tightness and spasms in other muscle groups in back. <br /><br />Went back to doctor today. He set me up with a PT to have a look. I am doing okay just very sore and never had the muscle soreness extend into two weeks.<br /><br />Looks like my first 6k indoor regetta on March 5th is a no go <br /><br />Any advice greatly appriciated.<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />John <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] Steve_R

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Steve_R » February 9th, 2005, 1:12 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jschmidt63+Feb 8 2005, 09:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jschmidt63 @ Feb 8 2005, 09:50 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Last Friday visited my doctor. No spinal/disk damage just serious muscle pull/strain.<br />After this weekend of minimul effort still sore in lower back, sometimes get muscle tightness and spasms in other muscle groups in back. <br />Went back to doctor today. He set me up with a PT to have a look. I am doing okay just very sore and never had the muscle soreness extend into two weeks.<br />Looks like my first 6k indoor regetta on March 5th is a no go <br />Any advice greatly appriciated.<br /><br />thanks<br />John <br /> </td></tr></table><br />John,<br />When I upped my protein intake during my weightloss to protect against muscle catabolism, I found that I was recovering much faster from muscle soreness, usually overnight. I am taking whey protein and a majority of the amino acid is l-Glutamine. I am taking 8-12g/day of glutamine in my whey powder and a total daily intake of protein of just over 1g/lb of lean mass. Most of what I have read has claimed benefit from l-Glutamine specifically for repair and recovery.<br /><br />I will warn you that many people and doctors will warn against supplementing this quantity of protein but I have had great results from it. I would not go much over 1g/lb of lean mass because it can be hard on your kidneys and make sure if you do supplement that you drink lots of water.<br /><br />Steve

[old] afolpe

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] afolpe » February 9th, 2005, 6:30 am

Low back pain from muscle strains can take an enormously long time to get better, in my experience. I have a recurring injury that seems to be in the deep intrinsic muscle that attach the spine to the pelvis, and I can usually expect several months of nagging pain after a flair. The good news is that it doesn't seem to get worse over time, and if I concentrate on good form on the rower I can almost always avoid exacerbating it. I've found that stretching a lot, legs and trunk, seems to make things feel a bit better. Give it some time- you will eventually get better.<br /><br />Andrew

[old] jschmidt63

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] jschmidt63 » February 10th, 2005, 2:04 pm

thanks for the replies, very much appriciated<br /><br /><br />I still am stretching and that does seem to help. I drive allot for work which doesnt help but the stretching helps to some degree to offset this.<br /><br />I am getting a massage from a trainer as well as seeing the PT<br /><br /><br />Steve is l-Glutamine naturally occuring in any foods? I like the protein idea but as you cautioned, be careful with supplements.<br /><br />Are there any specific protein foods that you would recommend?<br /><br />thanks again<br /><br /><br />John

[old] Steve_R

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Steve_R » February 10th, 2005, 3:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jschmidt63+Feb 10 2005, 01:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jschmidt63 @ Feb 10 2005, 01:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Steve is l-Glutamine naturally occuring in any foods? I like the protein idea but as you cautioned, be careful with supplements.<br />Are there any specific protein foods that you would recommend?<br />thanks again<br />John <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Glutamine is found everywhere, nuts, milk, soy, and egg whites all have great supplies of glutamine (and have low fat or good fat). Don't eat egg whites raw as they contain avidin which destroys biotin which you need. I take a whey protein shake with contains 22g of protein and around 4 grams of Glutamine. Most studies show that 1.5-2 grams after a workout are enough to make a difference.<br /><br />I take plenty of supplements, I just like to advise people to take their health into their own hands rather than blindly taking advice from a stranger. Also, people on this board may not be aware of a pre-existing condition that would make protein supplementation an issue (such as renal issues).<br /><br />If fat intake is an issue for you, soy is a great source but some people have issues with men taking lots of soy because of estrogen mimicry (I have not seen good proof of this). As I said, I take a whey powder supplement and they can be found most everywhere.<br /><br />Steve

[old] jschmidt63

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] jschmidt63 » February 11th, 2005, 12:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Steve_R+Feb 10 2005, 02:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steve_R @ Feb 10 2005, 02:32 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jschmidt63+Feb 10 2005, 01:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jschmidt63 @ Feb 10 2005, 01:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Steve is l-Glutamine naturally occuring in any foods? I like the protein idea but as you cautioned, be careful with supplements.<br />Are there any specific protein foods that you would recommend?<br />thanks again<br />John <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Glutamine is found everywhere, nuts, milk, soy, and egg whites all have great supplies of glutamine (and have low fat or good fat). Don't eat egg whites raw as they contain avidin which destroys biotin which you need. I take a whey protein shake with contains 22g of protein and around 4 grams of Glutamine. Most studies show that 1.5-2 grams after a workout are enough to make a difference.<br /><br />I take plenty of supplements, I just like to advise people to take their health into their own hands rather than blindly taking advice from a stranger. Also, people on this board may not be aware of a pre-existing condition that would make protein supplementation an issue (such as renal issues).<br /><br />If fat intake is an issue for you, soy is a great source but some people have issues with men taking lots of soy because of estrogen mimicry (I have not seen good proof of this). As I said, I take a whey powder supplement and they can be found most everywhere.<br /><br />Steve <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />Thanks Steve, looks like I am eating some good foods then for protein. Eggs (cooked), soy and select nuts are a regular part of my diet, as well as fruits, vegies and grains. If I ever think of supplements I will consult with someone but for now will stick to just welll planned meals.<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />John<br /><br />PS. Did a couple mile walk tonight with some stretching and my back doesnt feel that bad.<br />

[old] H33

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] H33 » February 23rd, 2005, 1:02 am

I had lower back pain a few years ago and decided to keep exercising. Within a week I collapsed on the floor and could not even sit up. It took me four hours to crawl 15 feet and the pain was excruciating. I slept on the floor and when morning came I was no better off, they picked me up with a stretcher and it was off to the emergency room.<br /><br />The doctor asked me to move and couldn't believe how restricted I was. He administered a shot of morphine a few minutes later. Amazingly even with the morphine I could barely get up and then walked with great difficulty (at about .25 mph).<br />Recovery took many months and it kept coming back until this December when I began rowing, since then I feel no more pain (knock on wood), the first time in 30 years I am like this. <br /><br />Moral of the Story...<br /><br />The instant you feel back pain, stop immediately. Any further movement risks damaging your back even more, you have to respect it.

[old] Ducatista

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Ducatista » March 1st, 2005, 2:38 pm

I haven't been on the C2 forum since it switched formats (a year ago? more?), so forgive me if this has been beaten to death and/or discredited on other threads:<br /><br />I got back into erging a few years ago after a many-year lapse. Right out of the gate I did a number on my lower back. Several people on the forum advised me to drop my damper setting WAY down, from the 8 I'd been using to 2 or 3. It made a HUGE difference, much easier on my back.

[old] eyoung@ochsner.org

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] eyoung@ochsner.org » March 2nd, 2005, 11:16 am

Try alternating 20 minutes of ice , then 20 minutes of moist heat to your lower back . For the ice , place an ice bag over the area , then alternate with a heating pad , or a hot bath . The heat ice heat thing simulates the normal contraction and relaxation of the muscle and helps break the spasm . Also consider an anti-inflammatory , like aleve , if your stomach can handle it , or ibuprofen 600 mg every 3 to 4 hours . You could also consider celebrex 200 to 400 mg every 12 hours . In spite of all the negative press about the drug , if you are using it short term , and are not sulfa allergic , and don't have significant heart disease , you are probably O.K. with it . Of course , it requires a prescription. Don't fall asleep on top of a heating pad , or ice bag . You obviously don't want to damage your skin.

[old] Byron Drachman

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » March 2nd, 2005, 11:44 am

I find if I concentrate on holding my back straight and do all the bending at the hips, not waist, that my back feels fine, but if I forget and start bending at the waist a little, then my lower back will start to ache.<br />Byron

[old] Specialt

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Specialt » March 31st, 2005, 2:53 pm

I am so glad that I am not the only one that has had an experience like this. I had had my D about 48 hours and had not even had a chance to do a full work out when I sustained a severe lumbar strain while moving some furniture to make room for the erg. the funny thing is that the furniture did not hurt me, but a sneeze brought me to my knees screaming my head off and crying. I am such a sissy, but that was the worst pain I havehad in my entire life! <br /><br />My next memory was of the Emergency room and the sheer joy of a shot of Demorol right in the keister. Anyhow, it's been about three weeks and the pain has VERY slowly died down. I was prescribed some very strong pain killers but I avoid taking them during the day so that I can actually feel that my muscles are healing. I am afraidn that by being too numb I might unknowingly do more damage. <br /><br />I have very gingerly been getting on the rower. At first for just a couple of minutes (that was all I could stand), and now I am doing about 15 minutes. I suppose this sounds pretty pathetic but the pain seems to be lesser with each new attempt to erg. <br /><br />I have found and been advised that SLOW is BETTER when it comes to healing. DON'T rush a back injury or you will regret it later.<br /><br />I suppose this has been a blessing for me of sorts because it has kept me from overding it in my excitement with the new toy. I didn't really have a chance to get too far a head of myself. <br /><br />I hope you get my point dispite my rambling. In the long run the erg should strengthen your back and help prevent back injuries but if you are starting out with one, like myself, you are better off taking your time.<br /><br />Good Luck and Happy Healing !<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] jschmidt63

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] jschmidt63 » April 7th, 2005, 12:52 pm

I havnt come back this forum in awhile, guess I was discouraged cause of my back injury. Since my first injury I am slowly coming back, been seeing a PT now regularly for about 5 weeks, I highly recommend a PT to anyone with a back injury.<br /><br /><br />Moral of the story for me:<br /><br />Listen to your back, stop when injured (as others have said)<br /><br />CROSS TRAIN- rowing is awesome but it does not work your glutes and some other muscles, its about an all-around <br /><br /><br />CROSS TRAIN- had to say it again, stair master, light weights, running, biking, etc, etc and yeah, rowing<br /><br /><br />FLEXIBILITY- I learned to really take the time to stretch and warm up from my PT<br /><br /><br />Of course dont forget sound eating habits and weight control<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />I hope to start rowing more regularly this summer<br /><br /><br />John

[old] Ducatista

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Ducatista » April 7th, 2005, 3:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jschmidt63+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jschmidt63)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->CROSS TRAIN- rowing is awesome but it does not work your glutes and some other muscles, its about an all-around </td></tr></table><br />Rowing doesn't work your glutes?

[old] jschmidt63

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] jschmidt63 » April 27th, 2005, 7:29 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Ducatista+Apr 7 2005, 02:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Ducatista @ Apr 7 2005, 02:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jschmidt63+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jschmidt63)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->CROSS TRAIN- rowing is awesome but it does not work your glutes and some other muscles, its about an all-around </td></tr></table><br />Rowing doesn't work your glutes? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Well maybe that was part of my problem, wasnt using my glutes properly. But even as I start to train more properly, I think rowing doesnt hit you glutes as hard as say stairs or running?<br /><br />As I right this my friggen back is still bother me. Off to the PT again today. <br />