Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome From Erg-ing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Sid9DC

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Sid9DC » December 28th, 2004, 2:50 pm

After about 3 months of erging every other day (about 15k per session), I've now self-diagnosed myself as having IT (iliotibial) band friction syndrome. which is when a ligament on the outside of the knee rubs against bone. (See, for example, <a href='http://www.csuchico.edu/phed/atc/Projec ... ITBFS.html' target='_blank'>http://www.csuchico.edu/phed/atc/Projec ... FS.html</a> ). <br><br>So I took a week off, and did lots of stretches and felt good, and hopped back on the erg, and wham, within about 4-6 minutes, it came back.<br><br>Has anyone else had this problem from rowing, and is it likely to go away on its own so that I can row again? (Or would people recommend that I go to the doctor?)<br><br>Thanks-<br>Sid<br><br>32m<br>10k (40:17, yeah it's slow, but I was making good progress until this problem)

[old] peterb

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] peterb » December 28th, 2004, 3:28 pm

Sid,<br><br>Stretching, ice and rest is the best way to address your problem, as long as it is overuse and not mechanical. But if you just can't stop erg-ing, there is a neat little devise by a company called Cho-pat I would suggest you look into which should help to take some stress off your ITB.<br><br><a href='https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/pro ... ct_type=27' target='_blank'>https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/pro ... ><br><br>I have not used this product, but have used the achilles strap for running and it has allowed me to run (at a reduced rate) while recovering. Hope this helps!!!!!!<br><br>peterb<br><br>PS - They also make a neat tennis elbow strap if any anyone is having elbow problems associated with erg-ing

[old] Dodsy1974

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Dodsy1974 » December 28th, 2004, 3:30 pm

Sid,<br><br>Best thing would be to source out a physio or sports massage therapist. Im my experience, massage is the best way to sort this annoying problem. A technique called 'self myo fascial release' helps. Using a hard foam roller, tennis ball, rolling pin etc. Of course the stretching helps, which is basically what this technique is!<br><br>Hope this helps.<br><br>Dodsy

[old] Kudos

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Kudos » December 28th, 2004, 5:52 pm

hey, never had it while erging, but I did for a while whenever I ran. There is a website out there dedicated to the syndrome and has a bunch of good ideas and stretches on it. I don't have the site off hand, but if you google iliotibial band, it should show up. As stated, the best idea may be to go see a physical therapist or sports trainer.<br><br>My condition went away fully after about a year, but I have never really run for more than 6 miles on it, so I'm not sure how healed it is.

[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » December 30th, 2004, 6:25 pm

This may seem a little crazy, but you might give this a try. Change your foot position. If you feet are turned out while rowing, move them to a straight or toe in position. You'll have to concentrate on this while you're rowing, but it may be all that you need to do. Also, have a beer when you finish rowing. The beer has nothing to do with your problem, but it will may you a lot happier.<br><br>No yelling.<br>Yoda

[old] Sid9DC

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Sid9DC » January 7th, 2005, 1:21 pm

Thank you belatedly for the suggestions. After a couple of weeks off during which time I stretched a lot . . . problems came back after 4k meters. I'll try one of the supportive straps and if that doesn't help, looks like it's time for PT.<br><br>Thanks-<br>Sid

[old] peterb

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] peterb » January 20th, 2005, 12:44 pm

Sid,<br><br>Just wondering, any progress??<br><br>peterb

[old] Steve_R

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Steve_R » January 22nd, 2005, 5:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-peterb+Jan 20 2005, 11:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(peterb @ Jan 20 2005, 11:44 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Sid,<br /><br />Just wondering, any progress??<br /><br />peterb <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm interested to see if anything has helped you as well, Sid. I don't have any pain yet but for the first time I got on the erg this morning and my tendon was snapping over the side of my knee. I was able to reduce the impact by shifting my weight and after about 10min it seemed fine. I think it has pointed out the need for me to do more specific stretching.<br /><br />Steve<br />

[old] peterb

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] peterb » January 22nd, 2005, 6:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steve_R+Jan 22 2005, 05:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steve_R @ Jan 22 2005, 05:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think it has pointed out the need for me to do more specific stretching.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Don't we all!!! It's all to easy to hop on and row away. <br /><br />peterb

[old] Steve_R

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Steve_R » January 23rd, 2005, 8:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-peterb+Jan 22 2005, 05:26 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(peterb @ Jan 22 2005, 05:26 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steve_R+Jan 22 2005, 05:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steve_R @ Jan 22 2005, 05:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think it has pointed out the need for me to do more specific stretching.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Don't we all!!! It's all to easy to hop on and row away. <br /><br />peterb <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, last night I started doing some half lotus stretches and did some more before my workout this morning and the feeling in the tendon (only my left side) is much better. I'm sure with some more work over time, it will work as well as the right side does.<br /><br />Steve<br />

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 23rd, 2005, 10:20 pm

#1- You should NEVER EVER stretch an injury or a strain.<br /><br />Doing so will invariably make it worse.<br /><br />#2- Row in flats or barefoot. <br /><br />If you're rowing in shoes with built up heels, then replace them with flats or row barefoot.<br /><br />#3- Allow yourself to go up on the balls of your feet at the catch.<br /><br />Holding your heels down, when your knees need to flex, is a sure way to injure them.<br /><br />#4- Ice regularly.<br /><br />Ice drives the blood deep for healing, and numbs the nerves to reduce pain at the same time as it reduces inflammation.

[old] Steve_R

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Steve_R » January 23rd, 2005, 11:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jan 23 2005, 09:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jan 23 2005, 09:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->#1-  You should NEVER EVER stretch an injury or a strain.<br /><br />Doing so will invariably make it worse.<br /><br />#2-  Row in flats or barefoot.  <br /><br />If you're rowing in shoes with built up heels, then replace them with flats or row barefoot.<br /><br />#3-  Allow yourself to go up on the balls of your feet at the catch.<br /><br />Holding your heels down, when your knees need to flex, is a sure way to injure them.<br /><br />#4-  Ice regularly.<br /><br />Ice drives the blood deep for healing, and numbs the nerves to reduce pain at the same time as it reduces inflammation. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />John,<br /><br />Are you responding to me or to Sid? I did not strain or injure the tendon, I noticed the movement over the side of my knee just from natural motion. A lack of flexibilty in the ITB forces the tendon to slide over the protruding bone near the knee. As to your other comments, I do row barefoot, although my calves have always been accentuated by a nice heel . I do allow myself to raise my heel at the catch but if I didn't, there would be less impact to my knee since it would not bend as far. By not raising the heel, the Achilles tendon is forced to be flexible which doesn't hurt the knee. If I had regional swelling, ice would help but I have no swelling.<br /><br />Steve<br />

[old] Sid9DC

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Sid9DC » January 26th, 2005, 9:50 pm

No progress yet. The last time I tried rowing was about ten days ago, and I went about 6k meters, but had some significant pain the next couple of days. This is despite a lot of stretching (contrary to an earlier post, this is what is most recommended -- the ITB problem is not a strain), ibuprofin, ice, and wearing what looks like a headband over my knee to stabilize the ITB. I'm going to give it a go now on the erg, but I'm not hopeful. I can do an elliptical machine at the gym without problems, but that defeats the purpose of having an erg in my basement. <br /><br />The best website I've found is: <a href='http://www.itbs.info/' target='_blank'>http://www.itbs.info/</a><br />and there's a Yahoo group affiliated with that board.<br /><br />In that website above, there's a link to the following article about treatment, which has some credibility because it's written by the physicians for the Stanford x-country team. I haven't done a ton of the hip abductor exercises recommended in this, sticking with the abductor Universal machine in the gym.<br /><a href='http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/200 ... ricson.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/200 ... htm</a><br /><br />I'd be real careful if you feel the tendon snapping around. Try one of the straps (Patt-strap, Cho-pat or Pro-tec) and do lots of stretches. Once the pain starts, it's tough to get rid of... On the other hand, the ITB is supposed to snap around a little -- that's the problem, that when the knee is bent the ITB necessarily crosses over the side of the kneecap. Maybe evolution will take care of this a few millennia from now...<br /><br />Wish me luck, and if anyone needs the names of good orthopedists in DC, I have recommendations from co-workers.<br /><br />Sid