Pain In The Feet

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Hoofbeat

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » December 13th, 2004, 6:58 am

I'm a novice rower and am trying to increase the amount of time I spend on ergs over the next 4weeks or so in an effort to improve my splits for our senior squad trials next term (at Uni). However, over the last few days I come away from the ergs with pain in my feet. I experience it in both of my feet on the outside of the foot. It's not extruiating pain, but the ache lasts (ie. did 1x2000m and 4x500m yesterday afternoon, and still painful this morning). I pulled some ligaments in my foot (on the top side) a few weeks ago possibly from kicking off the footplates so hard and the doctor said it could possibly be as I only have a slight bridge in my foot and thus all the pressure goes to the topside and outside of my foot.<br><br>Just wondering, is this quite common, or is it indicative of poor technique? <br><br>Thanks for the advice<br>Chloé<br>xxx

[old] Sir Pirate

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » December 13th, 2004, 7:15 am

Hi Chloé<br><br>I too get pains in my feet and also a very sharp pain in my shins when I do faster sessions, like 2x2000m and 6x500m etc. I have an idea what causes this (for me), it is at the end of my recovery stroke, my shins tend to go beyond 90 degrees of vertical, if I shorten my stroke it tends to disappear. Do your shins go beyond vertical? <br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] nkoffler

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] nkoffler » December 13th, 2004, 12:39 pm

Chloe-<br><br>Technique is always a likely culprit. Shins are not supposed to go past vertical at the catch, according to C2's tecnique video. You might want to get that and emulate it.<br><br>Other possible causes:<br><br>Are the footstraps too tight or are you yanking (with your feet) on them too much? The later can be solved by technique. Are your shoes comfortable in other situations? Are you stretching and warming-up properly? Are you exercising too soon after injury?<br><br>Hope it clears up.<br><br>Neil<br>M/38/US/LW

[old] Hoofbeat

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » December 13th, 2004, 3:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-nkoffler+Dec 13 2004, 11:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (nkoffler @ Dec 13 2004, 11:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ...or are you yanking (with your feet) on them too much? The later can be solved by technique. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> This is my problem. I often find the straps come lose after I've been rowing and I feel the pain in my foot at the end of the drive phase when I reach the finish and suddenly feel my feet being yanked to stop the seat moving any further back.<br><br>I take it that I'm yanking with my feet (trying to kick off footplate) rather than driving with my legs. How can I correct this?<br><br>Thankfully, my shins do not bother me at all, so obviously I'm not going beyond the vertical.

[old] GeorgeD

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] GeorgeD » December 13th, 2004, 3:35 pm

Practice rowing 'with out' straps at all, and ensure you drive with the legs - arms straight, then engage the back, finish strongly with the arms and dont exagerate any backward lean. Try a this at a lower rate till you get the hang of it and possibly a lower drag.<br><br>- George

[old] Hoofbeat

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » December 14th, 2004, 7:36 am

<!--QuoteBegin-GeorgeD+Dec 13 2004, 02:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (GeorgeD @ Dec 13 2004, 02:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Practice rowing 'with out' straps at all, and ensure you drive with the legs - arms straight, then engage the back, finish strongly with the arms and dont exagerate any backward lean. Try a this at a lower rate till you get the hang of it and possibly a lower drag.<br><br>- George <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Ok thanks, I have the drag around 90 at the moment - is that suitable for rowing without straps (as you can tell I'm a novice!)

[old] Kudos

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Kudos » December 14th, 2004, 12:43 pm

WHEEEEEE!!!!!! 90 DRAG!!!! lol, just be careful you don't do an endo off the back of the erg with that drag and no straps. Its kinda light no matter what the circumstances. I train at 115 and usually race at around 120-25. I would say on the water for a large boat (an 8 for example) starts at a 150 or so and then shifts down to 125 or so once it gets moving. It really all depends on how well connected you are, how fast the boat is going, and the rigging though.

[old] Hoofbeat

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » December 14th, 2004, 2:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Kudos+Dec 14 2004, 11:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Kudos @ Dec 14 2004, 11:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> WHEEEEEE!!!!!! 90 DRAG!!!! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> lol, I take it that could be part of my problem then?! I thought I read somewhere that most ppl erg at around 100, so being a novice I thought I'd lower it to 90, but obviously I need it a lot higher (I am trying to 'mimic' the water as the erg is just a training tool, ie. I'm not trying to be an indoor rower). I do feel at the moment as though I'm going to fly backwards off the erg and the only thing stopping me is my feet tied in.<br><br>Am going to the gym again tomorrow morning to do some longer sessions, so what sort of drag setting would you recommend? I'll also try rowing without the straps. Thanks<br><br>Chloé<br>xxx

[old] GeorgeD

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] GeorgeD » December 14th, 2004, 3:38 pm

With regard to the percieved problem of 'heading off the back' on a 90df I dont think it is an issue. It may be argued that the bigger stronger person would have more difficulty and I am guessing that I am somewhat larger than Chloe yet last week I had a play over 2k on a machine at a gym I visited - 6:50 @ 28spm and discovered the drag was 90df.<br><br>Now I had done a fair bit of work at 110-115df strapless and while strapped in for this there was no tension on the straps and no sense of instability at the end of the stroke. I think if the stroke is balanced then there is more of an issue, more of a negative impact on technique if the DF is to high rather than to low.<br><br>I would think Chloe (not knowing anything about you) that you may want to up your DF by a little but not a lot - a lower DF will improve your speed at the catch and actually improve your technique at the finish.<br><br>If you are having problems with your stroke it is better to work on the cause, not mask the problem by adjusting the DF<br><br>regds George

[old] Hoofbeat

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » December 14th, 2004, 5:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-GeorgeD+Dec 14 2004, 02:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (GeorgeD @ Dec 14 2004, 02:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I am guessing that I am somewhat larger than Chloe <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Actually, I have a feeling it may be the other way around Indeed I am female and only 18, but am certainly not on the "petite" side and have a feeling that I am actually possibly heavier than you (you seem light for your height!)<br><br>I'll try increasing the drag a little bit, concentrate on my technique whilst rowing without the straps. Hopefully, that'll help!

[old] GeorgeD

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] GeorgeD » December 14th, 2004, 8:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Hoofbeat+Dec 15 2004, 10:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Hoofbeat @ Dec 15 2004, 10:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> (you seem light for your height!) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Tks for that - I would have thought looking at some here I am probably a reasonably big heavyweight. 108kg about 240lbs ? I am not carrying as much extra as I was in fact not a lot at all but would still be happy down at 105kg.<br><br>George

[old] GeorgeD

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] GeorgeD » December 14th, 2004, 8:22 pm

Dble post

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 14th, 2004, 8:59 pm

Your feet should definitely not be yanking on the straps at the end of the drive. Getting used to rowing without straps should be helpful for balance and then go back to using them. <br><br>More importantly, get used to keeping your feet on the plates at the end of the drive, and attenuating your recovery, i.e. keep the same pressure on the straps up the railing. This results in you barely moving at the start, then accelerating evenly through the recovery, much the reverse of the drive. <br><br>This is a quite gentle movement and not a jerking or yanking one, and results in just a very light touching pressure with the tops of your feet to the straps.<br><br>Your drag factor being 90 is fine. The drag factor shouldn't make much difference in your stroke, although timing and rhythm is (and needs to be) better when using the lower drag factors.

[old] LeonCrewDewd

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] LeonCrewDewd » December 14th, 2004, 10:49 pm

i used to have this too (i'm also a novice rower.) adjust your footplate to a little smaller than you think you need...

[old] Hoofbeat

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » December 15th, 2004, 8:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-GeorgeD+Dec 14 2004, 07:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (GeorgeD @ Dec 14 2004, 07:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Hoofbeat+Dec 15 2004, 10:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Hoofbeat @ Dec 15 2004, 10:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> (you seem light for your height!) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Tks for that - I would have thought looking at some here I am probably a reasonably big heavyweight. 108kg about 240lbs ? I am not carrying as much extra as I was in fact not a lot at all but would still be happy down at 105kg.<br><br>George <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> OMG! I'm such an idiot (it dawned on me when erging this morning!!!). I misread your weight as "lbs" rather than Kgs!!! I am indeed lighter than you then. hehe. Sorry if I offended you at all