Hip Bursitis

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] younker

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] younker » November 23rd, 2004, 10:31 am

I've been diagnosed with hip bursitis. Its a mild case in that it doesn't hurt when I row, but its nagging me for about 6 months. I don't think I got it from rowing, but I think my rowing is not letting it heal. I typically row 7.5K to 10K five times a week.<br><br>Has anyone had hip buristis? How long did it last? Any keys to helping it heal would be appreciated. I really don't want to lay off from the rower as its the only exercise I do.<br><br>Thanks

[old] michaelb

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] michaelb » November 23rd, 2004, 1:40 pm

I have been recovering from a shoulder injury, and for a while, my hips starting hurting and bothering me (possible related to sleeping funny as a result of the shoulder). I never saw a doc for that pain, and don't think I had hip bursitis, but remember reading about hip bursitis online as something that does affect rowers.<br><br>In any case, I started doing a lot more stretching before I row, and found this one in particular helped with my hips:<br><br><a href='http://www.row2k.com/physio/thoracic.html' target='_blank'>http://www.row2k.com/physio/thoracic.ht ... ><br>Since there are often too many toys on the floor to really sit down, I also do an alternative stretch which involves standing, crossing your legs and twisting at the hips (I can't find a pic of that one right now).<br><br>There are also stretches on the UK site (but I didn't really do most of those).<br><br><a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/guide.p ... _exercises' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/guide.p ... ercises</a>

[old] Dr. Z

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Dr. Z » November 23rd, 2004, 8:33 pm

I had bursitis in my hip, severe case, as the result of a bicycl/auto accident (I was on the bike end). The bursitis took a surprisingly long time to clear up; 8+ months. As a water rower, I found it painful to row in certain boats (keep in mind that boat seats have holes cut in both "cheek areas") but sprinting while running was impossible and driving long distances was torture. <br><br>This occurred 20 years ago. Medical advice at the time said "either you get a cortisone shot in the hip or you take aspirin every day for about 6 months". Knowing from others who had suffered through misplaced cortisone shots that the steroid alternative had to be placed just so, I opted for the aspirin route. It worked, though I had ringing in my ears and bruised very easily -- to be expected. <br><br>The upshot is the treatment worked, with no further problems. I trained through the injury, but did not compete for about a year, and since have medalled pretty much every year at the US Nationals or US masters nationals, FISA masters championships, Head of the Charles or CRASH-B's.<br><br>Persevere!!! MP

[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » November 23rd, 2004, 8:50 pm

Try taking a tablespoon of flax seed oil at breakfast. Pour it over you cereal. Then one tablespoon at night when eating dinner. You'll be surprised how after about two weeks, most joint aches and pains disappear.<br><br>Yoda

[old] DIESEL

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] DIESEL » November 24th, 2004, 2:15 pm

Flaxseed oil is nasty. Especially over food! You must be a masochist, Yoda. Just take it right from the spoon like some nasty medicine when you were a kid. Short and sweet. <br><br>See which way you like better. Flax oil is the business, on that we can all agree.

[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » November 24th, 2004, 4:46 pm

Diesel,<br><br>I agree with you. It is nasty stuff, but when I take it straight, it makes my toes curl and my ears flutter. If I take it over cereal I just get chills.<br><br>Yoda

[old] ccwenk

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] ccwenk » November 30th, 2004, 3:24 pm

I have been getting a couple doses a week of flaxseed from having Banana Oatmeal Flaxseed pancakes. I use a coarse grind flaxseed meal, so it is supposed to retain more of the oils than a finer grind. Probably still not a 1-to-1 replacement for a nice spoonful of flax oil!