Recovering From Hiatus

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] jmruizhau

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] jmruizhau » June 9th, 2004, 1:24 pm

Okay, so I've been away from rowing for about four years. I've tried to get back into it, but old injuries seem to creep in, mostly due to training too hard, too fast. I would appreciate any specific advice/workouts that may help me ease into it. I'm also in the process of losing some weight (about 20 lbs). I'm a heavyweight, having maxed out at a whopping 242 lbs. I'm down to 230, but need to lose another 15 and get into better cardiovascular shape, without killing the knees and ankles. I would like to take this summer and lose the extra lbs, then work out in the winter with the intent to row in the spring. Any suggestions? <br>Cheers,<br>Juan

[old] JRBJR

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] JRBJR » June 10th, 2004, 8:31 pm

Obviously, start by consciously resisting your tendency to train too hard and too fast. Have you wife or a friend stand over you with a skillet and whack you on the head every time your pace goes above 28 SPM.<br><br>Seriously, you need to take it slow and easy. You might consider start with short (10-15 minute) low-intensity erg sessions at a warmup pace. From the English-speaking Concept2 websites (US, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, etc.), do a search on workout types that best suit your current needs. Good luck.

[old] MKC

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] MKC » June 11th, 2004, 12:15 pm

Hi Juan,<br>I am just getting started but I'm a newbie. I, too, need to loose weight as I progress (20lbs) and what we need is a bit of patience with ourselves.<br><br>I think you probably could do with a training plan to follow to allow a consistent increase in your fitmess as you strive to the ability you once had. I'm hardly an expert but here is what I did:<br><br>Stared in Jan and just rowed for 10 minutes.<br>Then started increasing by 5-10 minutes every week or so.<br>My longest row is now at 60 minutes and am now working more on decreasing my 500M interval times by doing various interval training., cross training by walking (running just seems to cuase me too many problems now though I still wish I could). I do plan on doing the 21stJune challange from the website just to see how it feels after this amount of itme training. ..plus to see if I have the mental capacity to get through it. I'm still just so damn slow....<br><br>What is frustrating for me is the body has to work whereas my my mind is there already....I need to remind myself that patience,compassion and diligence will get me to where I wish to be. Just getting on and rowing to my plan knowing that benefits me more then trying to move past capabilities I do not have yet...<br>Regards!<br>MKC<br><br><br><br>