Brand New To The Forum

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Alissa

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Alissa » February 27th, 2006, 7:29 pm

<!--quoteo(post=57466:date=Feb 27 2006, 11:27 AM:name=duck#54)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(duck#54 @ Feb 27 2006, 11:27 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>Or, is it better to allow the heel to come up a bit? It seems like I get a better push through the heel portion of my foot. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi duck#54!<br /><br />It's fine to allow your heel to come up...just don't let your shins go past vertical (that is, your knees shouldn't be in front of your ankles). You want to be able to begin the leg drive by by driving your heels down as you use the power in your legs to push the machine away from you. If you go past vertical, you first have to get you knees back behind your ankles so that you <b><i>can</i></b> push--breaking up the momentum you're creating!<br /><br />HTH,<br /><br />Alissa<br />

[old] Leena

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Leena » February 28th, 2006, 2:42 pm

<!--quoteo(post=57205:date=Feb 26 2006, 12:17 AM:name=gengonushi)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(gengonushi @ Feb 26 2006, 12:17 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I would like to try the water rowing. Not quite up to par for that physically now, but... Also, if you row on water, can you/do you erg as well?<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey Michele, <br /><br />I started rowing on the water as a way to get back into shape after months of cancer treatments. Believe me, you are in good enough shape to row on the water. :)<br /><br />I didn't really erg until this past fall, and I found much harder on me physically than rowing on the water. So yeah, if you can erg, you can def. row! At least in my experience. <br /><br />My learn-to-row classes were held 3 days a weeks. Yours would probably be something similar. You can absolutely erg on your off days. Actually, in my classes they started us on the erg before they put us in the water. And we use ergs when the weather is really bad (lots of fog on the river or lightening).

[old] anneoaks

Women's Forum

Post by [old] anneoaks » March 2nd, 2006, 11:03 pm

<!--quoteo(post=57704:date=Feb 28 2006, 01:42 PM:name=Leena)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Leena @ Feb 28 2006, 01:42 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quoteo(post=57205:date=Feb 26 2006, 12:17 AM:name=gengonushi)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(gengonushi @ Feb 26 2006, 12:17 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I would like to try the water rowing. Not quite up to par for that physically now, but... Also, if you row on water, can you/do you erg as well?<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey Michele, <br /><br />I started rowing on the water as a way to get back into shape after months of cancer treatments. Believe me, you are in good enough shape to row on the water. :)<br /><br />I didn't really erg until this past fall, and I found much harder on me physically than rowing on the water. So yeah, if you can erg, you can def. row! At least in my experience. <br /><br />My learn-to-row classes were held 3 days a weeks. Yours would probably be something similar. You can absolutely erg on your off days. Actually, in my classes they started us on the erg before they put us in the water. And we use ergs when the weather is really bad (lots of fog on the river or lightening).<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I bet your stamina will be fine and you will have no problem on the water. I learned to erg last winter and did a Learn To Row program in the spring to row on the water. My biggest difficulty (and it still is) was getting my arms right; not dropping the oars into the water too deeply. But, that is just techique and practice makes perfect....(I have a LONG way to go before getting anywhere close to perfect) . I still prefer the erg for the workout...but being ooutside on water is really nice. <br /><br />