Brand New To The Forum

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] rowak

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rowak » December 4th, 2005, 11:41 pm

Hi Jen! thanks for the welcome.<br /><br />I really want to own a single and a double and a quad .... ahh, the obsession!! For now I will have to stick with what our club owns and the club members who are willing to share personal boats. <br /><br />I am doing the Holiday Challenge ( 71,429m so far) and I also joined DIAR.<br /><br />L

[old] cuserower02

Women's Forum

Post by [old] cuserower02 » December 5th, 2005, 12:25 am

<br /><br />Are either of you two doing the Holiday Challenge?<br /><br />Happy rowing!<br />--Jen in WI <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I am doing the Holiday Challenge - only about 140k more to go javascript:emoticon(':huh:')<br /><br />My pain is on both sides, and I'm looking straight ahead, BUT I do find myself looking in the mirror to my left to confirm technique every so often, so maybe that's it? I do some stretching afterwards, but now that I hear what you do post-workout, it's probably not even close to being enough. Yoga video sounds like it might be worth a shot!<br /><br />I'll definitely check out DIAR. I'd love to be part of a team again!!!!! (even if it's a virtual one!)

[old] kelley127

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kelley127 » December 5th, 2005, 1:53 am

Hi Cuserower02 - <br /><br />Does it hurt during the row or after or both? <br />Have you ever had this sort of thing when you've rowed before? <br /><br />I've had back issues over the years - every so often I've pulled/ strained a muscle doing something/ whatever, and then aggrevated things by doing other things. One of the last times, I did this and had a little twinge in my back after moving - spent weeks doing things to aggrevate it until I ended up in the dr. office. (I realize that sort of thing would make more sense if it was only on one side... but I'm a relatively new rower - the other chicas around here are more qualified to talk about technique.) <br /><br />Michelle <br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] cuserower02

Women's Forum

Post by [old] cuserower02 » December 5th, 2005, 8:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-kelley127+Dec 5 2005, 12:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(kelley127 @ Dec 5 2005, 12:53 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Cuserower02 - <br /><br />Does it hurt during the row or after or both?  <br />Have you ever had this sort of thing when you've rowed before? <br /><br />I've had back issues over the years - every so often I've pulled/ strained a muscle doing something/ whatever, and then aggrevated things by doing other things.  One of the last times, I did this and had a little twinge in my back after moving - spent weeks doing things to aggrevate it until I ended up in the dr. office.    (I realize that sort of thing would make more sense if it was only on one side... but I'm a relatively new rower - the other chicas around here are more qualified to talk about technique.)  <br /><br />Michelle <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I've noticed mostly it's after rowing. I don't think I pick up on it during the row...it's mostly a really bad "tight" feeling in the upper back. It's decreased dramatically in the past week or so, so maybe it's just that my body's not used to moving that way? <br /><br />One really weird thing I have noticed is a numbness in my right bicep, right at the crook of my arm, like I've pinched a nerve. Argh. Why can't getting into shape ever be easy??

[old] kelley127

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kelley127 » December 6th, 2005, 1:14 am

Well, I'm not a doctor, nor do i play one on TV - but the tightness after you row may be more of the using new muscles variety of pain - especially if it's getting better (which is always good!) But don't try to push it - I'm a believer in listening to my body if something doesn't feel right. Of course, when I first got my rower, I had a pain in my right hip when I was rowing on occassion - it went away after I'd rowed on a consistent basis. Don't know. Doesn't seem to do it anymore. <br /><br />Hang in there!! <br /><br />

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » December 6th, 2005, 1:51 am

I am a novice but fortunatly I was able to hook up with some exellent experienced rowers (we met at thier gym and I paid the daily fee and we worked out together.) So I feel I haev pretty decent technique but still the low back pain.<br /><br />Not any more. What I do is row until my back starts to ache and then I row slow ~400 m (to get my heart rate down) and then I do the back stretches from the C2 guide. specifically-- grab the monitor post and push back and hold. Sit up and repeat. If my heart rate has slowed I get on the floor and make a bridge from hands to knees (my daughter loves this and crawls under!) Then I go back to rowing. Stop again if needed. After rowing since Thanksgiving, I had to stop several times at first and now I can get through 7000 m with only stopping once or twice and have NO lingering pain during the day.<br /><br />I do all the stretches in the C2 guide (taking out the ones that repeat the same stretch for the same muscle group just on or off the rower.) I looked for them on the C2 site but did not see them. I will email someone at C2 tomorrow and see if those pages are on the web.<br /><br />Susan, the wood duck

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » December 6th, 2005, 4:44 pm

I found training pages on both the US and UK concept2 site.<br /><br />This has the stretches on page 8-10 that I was talking about. It is a pdf of the training manual that you get in the US when you buy an erg.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... de0104.pdf' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... pdf</a><br /><br />This page has various other things like 24 workouts (in case you get bored after the HC)<br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... p#training' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... ing</a><br /><br />The UK site has two training manuals--here the stretches are shown with photos, not just drawings.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/downloads.php' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/downloads.php</a><br />The complete guide is a 251 page pdf (6.1 MB) and the abridged is shorter with "only" 3.1 MB" Alternatively you can just download the individual sections. Section one has the stretches. <br /><br />Susan aka wood duck

[old] Leena

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Leena » December 8th, 2005, 5:53 pm

Oh, Jen. I had no idea they aren't pushing breast exams anymore. That makes me want to cry. How many young women out there go, oh, I think I'll get a breast MRI, just to see... la la la. No one I know... And people are getting it younger and younger. Oh dear. Well, I shall keep up my pestering of people. <br /><br />I'm pleased to report to everyone that I've been paying better attention to the straightness of my lower back, and the tailbone pain has greatly diminished. Thank you! <br /><br />Cuserower, I'm assuming you went to Syracuse? I did too! I didn't row though.

[old] Alissa

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Alissa » December 8th, 2005, 6:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Leena+Dec 8 2005, 01:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Leena @ Dec 8 2005, 01:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm pleased to report to everyone that I've been paying better attention to the straightness of my lower back, and the tailbone pain has greatly diminished. Thank you! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Leena, I'm so glad it's better! Hope the pain is completely gone soon.<br /><br />Alissa

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 8th, 2005, 10:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Leena+Dec 8 2005, 05:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Leena @ Dec 8 2005, 05:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh, Jen. I had no idea they aren't pushing breast exams anymore. That makes me want to cry. How many young women out there go, oh, I think I'll get a breast MRI, just to see... la la la. No one I know... And people are getting it younger and younger. Oh dear.  Well, I shall keep up my pestering of people. <br /><br />I'm pleased to report to everyone that I've been paying better attention to the straightness of my lower back, and the tailbone pain has greatly diminished. Thank you! <br /><br />Cuserower, I'm assuming you went to Syracuse? I did too! I didn't row though. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey there, Leena!<br /><br />You keep right on pestering women to do BSEs because that's what I do, too. Unfortunately, I still don't see very many women under age 40 doing them very often at all--unless they've had a very close relative diagnosed with breast cancer. Even if ACS isn't pushing them, luckily a lot of other women's organizations are still encouraging women to do them. <br /><br />And glad to hear that your back pain is doing better. A sore back and bottom can sure dampen enthusiasm for rowing, hey? <br /><br />Ah, SyraCUSE, CUSErower--I got it now! I'm a dense duck. <br /><br />--Jen

[old] dawnv

Women's Forum

Post by [old] dawnv » December 8th, 2005, 11:19 pm

Hi everyone,<br />This is my very first post!<br />I've been erging for a while, off and on. Mostly off, but after finishing the remodelling of the family room and getting my erg back, I thought I'd have a go at the Holiday Challenge. <br /><br />I wandered into the forums and also discovered the Ducks In a Row, which I have also joined.<br /><br />So I guess I should introduce myself....I'm Dawn, I live in Oregon, although I'm originally from Brampton, Ontario. I'm 40 years old, married and have 2 kids, ages 14 and 12. I'm a stay at home mom, which means I'm a full time volunteer at the schools. <br />My husband got me hooked on the Concept 2 after he got one for his apartment in Seattle. (he works there during the week...long story) Anyhow, I got one here and love the work out it provides while being easy on the joints. I started logging my meters in 2003. As, I said, I'm off and on, and have logged about 1.4 million meters. The Holiday Challenge has been great for getting back into a routine. I'm half way to my sweatshirt, so I'm happy!<br /><br />The forum is great and DIAR is an added incentive to keep at it. It's inspiring to be "surrounded" by fellow ergers!

[old] tigger2esq

Women's Forum

Post by [old] tigger2esq » December 19th, 2005, 10:27 pm

newbie checking in! <br />my name is Renee and I am 36, married with one 2 yo dd. I am also a full time lawyer. <br /><br />I started erging and on water rowing back in college in 1988 (ack was it that long ago??!) sat bow in a Four and an Eight lwt boat. it was only a club sport at my school and we used some "yard sale" equipment we got from Princeton who was throwing it away! fell in love with the sport but gave it up a few years later in lawschool when I didnt have the time to stay competitive. many years passed and last Christmas my DH as a TOTAL surprize got me a C2. (gotta love him!!!)<br /><br />Unfortunatly I have been very lax in exercise since my daughter was born back in 2003. (in 2000 I took up running but really needed a good cross training activity and after baby--hitting the gym for a spinning class was really out of the question--I also prefered to run outside than on my treadmill and when my only exercise time is 9pm at night--outdoor running around here by myself is really out of the question). <br /><br />so---I got the newsletter from C2--saw the holiday challenge and jumped in with both feet (and arms!) As of today I am less than 4000m to go which will be cake tomorrow! (knock on wood...). I am also excited to be excited about exercising again. I am no where near a lwt anymore. but thats OK. I will be happy to just be able to sprint up the stairs without getting winded! <br /><br /><br /><br />I am looking forward to some new year challenges!<br /><br />Renee (in Harrisburg PA)

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 19th, 2005, 11:22 pm

Hello to both Dawn and Renee!<br /><br />Lots of stuff happening on the Women's forum right now, so feel free to read some of the other threads. There's a January Virtual Team Challenge coming up that might help to keep you motivated after the Holiday Challenge is done and the holidays are done. A group of women are also taking advantage of the JVTC to try to lose a few pounds in January, so we're doing a January Weight Loss Challenge. There are some posts for that too. Holler or Quack if you have any questions! <br /><br />So welcome to the Duck Pond, Dawn! And Renee, if you haven't joined a team already, you're certainly welcome to become a Duck. The instructions are permanently posted at the top of the women's forum. <br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » December 20th, 2005, 4:13 am

Welcome Dawn and Renee,<br /><br />I'm also a new duck. I joined just before Thanksgiving, when I got back on the rower to do the holiday challenge. Since I've discovered the DIAR, I'm rowing more than ever, and I don't think it will be just a one month a year thing anymore. It's a lot of fun!<br /><br />Emilia

[old] cuserower02

Women's Forum

Post by [old] cuserower02 » December 20th, 2005, 9:09 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Leena+Dec 8 2005, 04:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Leena @ Dec 8 2005, 04:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh, Jen. I had no idea they aren't pushing breast exams anymore. That makes me want to cry. How many young women out there go, oh, I think I'll get a breast MRI, just to see... la la la. No one I know... And people are getting it younger and younger. Oh dear.  Well, I shall keep up my pestering of people. <br /><br />I'm pleased to report to everyone that I've been paying better attention to the straightness of my lower back, and the tailbone pain has greatly diminished. Thank you! <br /><br />Cuserower, I'm assuming you went to Syracuse? I did too! I didn't row though. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sorry this took me so long to respond! Yes, I did go to Syracuse! When did you go??