January Weight Loss Challenge To All Ducks

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 3rd, 2006, 12:33 am

Tell him to take them to his office. That's what my friends do.<br /><br />Schenley

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » January 3rd, 2006, 7:13 am

I put the candy/cookies in my hubbies briefcase.<br /><br />Today is my first day back to work in January--here comes temptation. I will not stop at Burger King for my favorite sausage biscuit and hash rounds and large diet coke.<br /><br />Instead, I bought frozen individual muffins and chicken patties for when I "NEED" that hot morning sandwich and I stocked up with whole grain breakfast cereal (Kashi) to be eaten at home most days.<br /><br />I am taking canned soup, green beans and fruit to work. Along with paper bowls and plastic spoons. No slipping out at lunch for that fast, fast food. I open the can of fruit for mid-morning snack and finish it off in the afternoon before going home to fix dinner. (Can you believe I have to specially wrap and tape my can lids because they are considered "sharps" before I put them in the trash!) Speaking of supper, I have loaded my freezer with "meals" that can quickly be heated up that are healthy and good for my family. (Mostly from the grocers freezer section.)<br /><br />I have a gallon of water in my office and iced tea in the fridge. <br /><br />WE CAN DO THIS! What have you prepared for combating your downfall??<br /><br />Susan aka Wood Duck<br />Grateful for the Jan V. T. Challenge--I rowed off the 500 calories I overate yesterday on homemade tacos at a friends house. Writing down everything I eat and evaluating all my choices by visualizing how long I would have to row to remove the slip at the lip from my hips.

[old] ShelleyR

Women's Forum

Post by [old] ShelleyR » January 3rd, 2006, 10:20 pm

I'm a newbie duck and fairly new to rowing. And you can count me in on the weight loss challenge. I am using good old Weight Watchers to help me and I am red-lighting food that I seem to have portion control issues with..hahaha,chocolate for one. i am doing more rowing right now to practice for an indoor race in Toronto. Plus I'm x-training for long distance running....so far I am not "hooked" on rowing but I can see me getting there..ESPECIALLY if I can use it to melt away some pounds.<br />Anyone else using WW to guide them?

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 3rd, 2006, 11:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ShelleyR+Jan 3 2006, 10:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ShelleyR @ Jan 3 2006, 10:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm a newbie duck and fairly new to rowing. And you can count me in on the weight loss challenge. I am using good old Weight Watchers to help me and I am red-lighting food that I seem to have portion control issues with..hahaha,chocolate for one. i am doing more rowing right now to practice for an indoor race in Toronto. Plus I'm x-training for long distance running....so far I am not "hooked" on rowing but I can see me getting there..ESPECIALLY if I can use it to melt away some pounds.<br />Anyone else using WW to guide them? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Welcome to the Duck Pond, Shelley! <br /><br />I think Robin (sirrobin) is doing WW and the JWLC. Are you signed up for the January Virtual Team Challenge??<br /><br />One of the other forums had a topic for discussion of all the pros/cons of rowing with or without gloves. I'll see if I can find it. <br /><br />Meanwhile, I started out with gloves (I used either batting gloves or bike riding gloves), but I eventually got to the point where I don't need them anymore. I tend to get more callouses on my left hand/fingers for some reason. I think I do a lot more moving of that hand on the bar. Anyway, towards the end of a longer row when I start to "feel" some blisters forming, I've recently found that using toddler socks on the handles to soak up the sweat work pretty well (thanks for the tip, Shannon and Susan!). Seems to minimize the late-forming blisters. However, when I've tried to row all the way through with the socks, I get different blisters in different places. <br /><br />Again, welcome, and Happy Rowing!<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » January 3rd, 2006, 11:24 pm

Rowing for 45 minutes is getting easier and easier.. today I tried Citroen's tip about taking a 30-sec break every 15 minutes and drinking water then, and it really helped.. PLUS I could break the segments up like.. "OK this minute I'll go really REALLY fast," or whatever.<br /><br />Mimi, I went to get hypnotized to. Last year I had to have a surgery and wanted to keep my meds down as much as possible, so tried hypnosis. it worked AMAZINGLY well.<br /><br />WW is an EXCELLENT weight loss plan.. some years back I lost about 50 pounds on it. I These days I jsut don't have the time to devote to the meetings though, and am doing a kind of home-grown combo of South Beach Diet and the Perricone Diet and also the Diet Doctor diet.. which is great.<br /><br />Was reading in the paper tonight about that new Lap Band procedure where they insert a rubber band around your stomach and leave it there. Sounds great, but SHEESH, who wants to live their life with a plastic band implated ass part of them. Wonder how come your body doesn't reject it??<br /><br />Id' rather ROW. Already feeling thinner.. though my neck is a little stiff tonight.

[old] Mimi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mimi » January 3rd, 2006, 11:33 pm

Hi Shelley<br /><br />I thought I would let you know that I am using Weight Watchers too. I've been on the diet roller coaster for years and really believe in WW. It really is helping me realize that a lot of my problem is portion control. And they encourage you to eat healthy so that's good. I'm not a fruit eater. Don't know why - one of my quirks - I like fruit - just don't like to eat it. So today, I took two small naval oranges and peeled and quartered them and tossed them in the blender - then I took a pineapple I'd bought, and put about a cup of cut up pineapple in with it (tomorrow, I'll include frozen organic strawberries in my mixture) and pulsed it slow so as not to build up any heat - and boy, howdy was it good! And only 3 points <br />I just finished rowing my meters for the day so all in all it's been another great day. <br /> Good luck on your cross training - how exciting!! And hopefully, you'll acquire a passion for the rower as well. <br /><br />Mimi

[old] Mimi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mimi » January 3rd, 2006, 11:48 pm

Hey Rubber Duckie<br /><br />I have the same aversion to the lap band procedure. Surely I can make this (WW)work. But I'll be honest - one of my Dr.s does want me to have it done as they think that is my only hope. I've been on Prednisone for 7 years so I have problems that they don't think I'll be able to beat but I think differently. I also pray a lot. I am trying to wean my steroids one fourth of a milligram every 3 weeks and so far so good. I've been at it for about 8 months. <br />As far as getting sore after a row, it sounds crazy to me but my KNEES are the sorest part on me (well, my rear-end is running a close second). Maybe some of the veteran rowers can shed some light on that one. <br />I'm getting very close to a half a million meters (lifetime) and that sounded great until I started looking at just seasonal meters for a lot of the rowers - Incredible!!<br />I must not be doing something right <br />Mimi<br />

[old] ShelleyR

Women's Forum

Post by [old] ShelleyR » January 4th, 2006, 9:27 am

Thanks Woolsmith..I think I ll keep going without the gloves..I m tuff enuff.<br />On the other hand I near blew out a lung last night while I timed myself for 2000m to see what I could race it in...haha...but I had fun....egads I couldnt possibly be getting hooked and drawn away from running....nawwwwww<br />I shall join the January weight loss challenge too.

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 4th, 2006, 11:41 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ShelleyR+Jan 4 2006, 09:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ShelleyR @ Jan 4 2006, 09:27 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks Woolsmith..I think I ll keep going without the gloves..I m tuff enuff.<br />On the other hand I near blew out a lung last night while I timed myself for 2000m to see what I could race it in...haha...but I had fun....egads I couldnt possibly be getting hooked and drawn away from running....nawwwwww<br />I shall join the January weight loss challenge too. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hee!Hee! <br /><br />Yup, that erg can get addicting! Especially when you can get a visual of those numbers piling up. Then you got this great group of Ducks to contend with... <br /><br />It's a competition on another level, hey? But it's a good one, one where you really compete with yourself more than others. More people "win" that way, imho. <br /><br />Nothing wrong with variety, though! I still love my NordicTrack, too!<br /><br />Do you know about "RowPro" software? <br /><br />--Jen

[old] Hapa

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Hapa » January 4th, 2006, 11:51 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Mimi+Jan 3 2006, 08:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mimi @ Jan 3 2006, 08:48 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->As far as getting sore after a row, it sounds crazy to me but my KNEES are the sorest part on me (well, my rear-end is running a close second).  Maybe some of the veteran rowers can shed some light on that one.  <br /><br />Mimi <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Your knees being sore might just be not being in shape, but really watch your technique at the front end of the stroke and make sure you're not compressing too much which could be putting a strain on them. <br /><br />Good luck with everything!<br /><br />Aiko

[old] Mimi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mimi » January 4th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Aiko, Thanks - If that is the case, then more than likely they will quit getting sore after a month or so. I am definitely out of shape. There has been too much starting and stopping with my fitness attempts. <br />Mimi

[old] ljford44

Women's Forum

Post by [old] ljford44 » January 4th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Oh my gosh - I just found out after a few years of rowing that I've had the seat on backwards all this time - maybe that's why my bottom was always hurting - Hey, I didn't put it together - someone else did so quit laughing!!!

[old] Leena

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Leena » January 4th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Hey everyone. I've decided to go back on WW to get myself into better shape for when I go back on the water. I'm sick of my tummy getting in the way of the oar I've lost two pounds so far!

[old] Leena

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Leena » January 4th, 2006, 2:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ljford44+Jan 4 2006, 02:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ljford44 @ Jan 4 2006, 02:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh my gosh - I just found out after a few years of rowing that I've had the seat on backwards all this time - maybe that's why my bottom was always hurting - Hey, I didn't put it together - someone else did so quit laughing!!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Wow! That's something I would do. I promise only to laugh a little...

[old] Canada Goose

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Canada Goose » January 4th, 2006, 4:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ljford44+Jan 4 2006, 11:08 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ljford44 @ Jan 4 2006, 11:08 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh my gosh - I just found out after a few years of rowing that I've had the seat on backwards all this time - maybe that's why my bottom was always hurting - Hey, I didn't put it together - someone else did so quit laughing!!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey don't worry, we had our front legs (on the rowing machine) on backward for years before Dena (from C2) noticed it on my profile picture. Talk about eagle eyes! Anyway we've been doing a lot better ever since then. Maybe it is time to put up a new picture, so I don't look too silly!<br /><br />Canada Goose