New Here...wanting To Introduce Myself

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Karen

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Karen » January 8th, 2006, 11:47 pm

Hello There<br /><br />I have recently found this forum as a result of my search for a good rowing machine. Where I live, nobody sells them, so my internet search has brought me here.<br /><br />So far, it seems that Concept is the best for the price range, so my heart is set on having one.<br /><br />Anybody have any advice for me, as far as choosing one and preparing my spot for it???<br /><br />Thanks in advace. I am really looking forward to saving enough $ for my machine...I used to train on a rower in college, and have really missed it.

[old] Citroen

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Citroen » January 9th, 2006, 11:25 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Karen+Jan 9 2006, 03:47 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Karen @ Jan 9 2006, 03:47 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anybody have any advice for me, as far as choosing one and preparing my spot for it??? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You need a space 9ft by 4ft. It can't be too close to a wall.

[old] QWACKY

Women's Forum

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 9th, 2006, 11:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 9 2006, 11:25 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 9 2006, 11:25 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Karen+Jan 9 2006, 03:47 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Karen @ Jan 9 2006, 03:47 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anybody have any advice for me, as far as choosing one and preparing my spot for it??? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You need a space 9ft by 4ft. It can't be too close to a wall. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />WELCOME!!!!!!!!<br />Pat M. from Naples,Fl<br /><br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 9th, 2006, 1:14 pm

Hey Karen!<br /><br />Yup, these C2 rowers are addicting. And C2's web support and customer service is fantastic. The rowers they sell are the same ones that get put into athletic clubs, so they are built to last folks like us for a lifetime. <br /><br />I got mine gently used from an Internet buddy, and it was one of the best investments I've ever made. I've seen them for sale used on eBay, but they still go for some premium prices (even some of the older models), and by the time you pay shipping, you'd probably still be better off to get a new one direct from Concept2. I've read where you might be able to buy one of the ergs used at some of the CrashB sites post-race for a reduced fee??? Not sure how to go about that, but maybe someone else will hop in with info.<br /><br />I have their latest model, a Model D with a PM3 monitor. You can put a PM3 monitor on a Model C as well. Model Ds have a different handle than the Cs and the Cs also have a different monitor called a PM2, but otherwise I'm not sure what the other differences are. Lots of folks who have Model Cs updated them by purchasing new handles and monitors. C2 has copies of the owners manuals on their website that you can download and read to learn more about them and the differences between the older and newer models.<br /><br />Anyway, holler if you have questions. Welcome to the forums, and good luck on your C2 erg search!<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] Mary P.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mary P. » January 9th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Karen - Welcome! One suggestion on buying a machine at a slightly reduced price -- try contacting the regatta organizer for the Concept 2 satellite regatta nearest you. <a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/training/com ... lendar.asp' target='_blank'>Satellite regatta list</a> Each satellite regatta uses about 10 new model D ergs for one day of racing. The race ergs are sold at a slightly reduced price, you cart it home from the regatta site. [The erg is designed to be broken down into 2 pieces, suitable for transport in any car.] You should contact the race organizer well before the race date if you wish to purchase one -- race organizers handle these sales & they usually sell out. If you live near Boston, the CRASH-B organizers will have a far larger number of race machines to sell around the end of February & they do not sell out as quickly.<br /><br />No question the Concept 2 is the rower to buy in terms of service, durability and function, and a supportive group of users, too!<br />Go for it!<br />Mary P.

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 9th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Welcome! I'm a relative newcomer here, too. Good luck with saving up for a C2. I think you'll be happy when you get it.<br /><br />Schenley

[old] billandmargaret

Women's Forum

Post by [old] billandmargaret » January 9th, 2006, 7:28 pm

Our C2 is a model B, almost 20 years old, and still going strong. It's tempting to upgrade to the latest model, but incase you were wondering, C2 builds these to last and if you need to save money, you'd be fine buying a used model (e-Bay or?). We've only had to replain the chain once. The rear legs got slightly bent when moved by professional movers, but that took some effort on their part (!) and the legs are still so strong we've never needed to replace it. One consideration is that I believe the newer models can be somehow "folded up" in storage to half the length. We've kept ours in the carport for the last few years under a C2 "dustcover" and that has worked out well.<br /><br />Happy saving. This investment is well worth it if you use it. We figure it has saved us lots of money for a gym membership on bad weather days. And this online forum & log & virtual challenges help with comraderie.<br /><br />Margaret

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 9th, 2006, 7:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-billandmargaret+Jan 9 2006, 04:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(billandmargaret @ Jan 9 2006, 04:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Our C2 is a model B, almost 20 years old, and still going strong. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />They do last. My parents have one that is approx 20 yrs old, too. I don't know if they've even replaced the chain.<br /><br />Schenley<br /><br />P.S. Ours is one of the new ones, and it does fold, but so far it has just stayed set up in the garage.

[old] mischa

Women's Forum

Post by [old] mischa » January 9th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Craigslist is a good place to check for used ones too.

[old] ShelleyR

Women's Forum

Post by [old] ShelleyR » January 10th, 2006, 10:44 am

I bought mine right from Concept2 and had it shipped to Canada...lots of places around my area sold them, but the mark up was crazy. Even with the shipping, taxes and border costs I came out almost $200 ahead. And it got here fast too.<br />I dont fold mine up for fear I might not unfold it and work out....I have it in my rec room and have an old tv down there to help pass the time. However, dont do what I did and set it up near a heat vent...get hot enough on the rower....a fan is nice to have around it too...good luck saving..

[old] Karen

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Karen » January 11th, 2006, 1:38 am

Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely check into the locations for the ones from races, and I appreciate the advice.<br /><br />Until then, just patiently waiting!