Thirty-minute Thursdays Challenge

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » September 20th, 2005, 10:38 pm

Grace21May,<br />I do have what I think is an ingenious solution for my hands. I got some little baby crew socks and put one on each of the ends of the grip. It works great for me. I used to just wrap a hand towel around the grips, but sometimes that can be unweildy. The socks don't work for my husband because I think he sweats too much. They don't stay put for him so he uses a golf or baseball glove. I can't do that because my hands get too hot with gloves. Hope you find something that works for you.<br /><br />Glad you will join us!<br /><br />Robin<br /><br />P.S. This type of communication takes a little getting used to, but like most things, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

[old] grace21may

Women's Forum

Post by [old] grace21may » September 21st, 2005, 9:54 am

Thanks for the socks idea! Necessity is the mother of invention as Ben Franklin would say. I'm going to give it a try for tomorrow's 30 minute row. I ran this morning and it felt great! I really believe that rowing is giving me additional endurance and speed for running. What a great combo. I am glad to have stumbled across the ad for the Concept 2 in my Runner's World magazine. Nothing beats the solitude of rowing in the garage ... the time just zips by.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />donna

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » September 22nd, 2005, 11:54 am

Well, I did better than my last 30 minute Thursday row two weeks ago. I took yesterday off so I guess I was well rested. Not like last week! I went 5721 meters this week and last time (Sept 8 - my birthday!) I went 5688 meters. So, I count that as a significant improvement. I ranked 68 of 101 women my age and in the heavyweight category. Although, the results page is always a bit confusing. On the list, I look like I'm 66 of 99. I think the programming algorithm is a little whacky. At any rate, I have improved. <br /><br />Yeah for me! <br /><br />Robin

[old] grace21may

Women's Forum

Post by [old] grace21may » September 22nd, 2005, 1:47 pm

Way to go, Robin! By the way, I tried your baby sock technique over the rowbars and it worked great... the blisters I have were cushioned enough that the rowing wasn't painful. I did my 30-minute row today and have to say that for whatever reason, I've been fading out at the end... the row was a struggle after about 10 minutes. So the last 20 minutes was like taking bad medicine. Sometimes it's like that with my running, unexplainably some days are way better than others. Go figure. Maybe it's like I tell my husband over and over... I'm a delicate flower. haha! Have a blessed day. Thanks for the challenge.

[old] kelley127

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kelley127 » September 22nd, 2005, 9:42 pm

I started a class tonight, so probably won't be to participate in TMT for the next few months, but my professor didn't show tonight, so made it home early in time for a surprise row - and 143 meters of my best 30 min row! Yeah! <br /><br />Thanks for the motivation! <br /><br />Michelle

[old] Krysta Coleman

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Krysta Coleman » September 23rd, 2005, 3:50 am

Good work everyone!<br /><br />It's been a while since I did a Thirty-Minute-Thursday, so I gave it a shot in a late night online RowPro session. New PB by 332m. <br /><br />-Krysta

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » September 23rd, 2005, 9:29 am

Great job ladies!<br /><br />As for me, well - pooh! My knee was locked yesterday (still is today) and I can't straighten it. That makes rowing out of the question. So - maybe I can join in next week. (Provided this thing lets go by then.)<br /><br />I guess it's time for me to break down and get a total knee replacement. The doc assured me I could continue rowing after that. I'll keep you posted.<br /><br />Ye Olde Decrepit Buffle

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » September 23rd, 2005, 9:27 pm

Yeah Krysta! <br /><br />Hey, what's a late night ProRow session?<br /><br />And Sue, don't be discouraged. Just get a new knee and let's go! <br /><br />Robin

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » October 7th, 2005, 11:47 am

Well I did a Thirty-minute FRIDAY this week because I was trying to catch up with my "500 meters on the 5th" schedule - doing that on Thursday, the 6th! I didn't do so well with that, BUT I did my Personal Best today with my 30:00.0 at 5794. I'm ranked 69 of 105 in my group. Not that impressive in comparison, but I am improving & that's what counts!<br /><br />I put a new little motivational note up for myself to look at when I'm rowing reminding me that muscle burns more fat & calories so, just work on getting a little more muscle. "Burn, Baby, burn!" That helps me to just work those muscles a little harder. If they burn a little, that's a good sign!<br /><br />Until next THURSDAY,<br /><br />Robin

[old] Krysta Coleman

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Krysta Coleman » October 7th, 2005, 4:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-sirrobin+Sep 23 2005, 07:27 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sirrobin @ Sep 23 2005, 07:27 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey, what's a late night ProRow session?<br /><br />Robin <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sirrobin,<br /><br />Sorry so long in replying, I hadn't seen your message until today. RowPro is a computer program by Digital Rowing that, among other things, allows for online real-time racing against other people with C2's around the world. It's a lot of fun to row with others, and really pushes me to new personal bests. The "late night RowPro session" I was talking about was a 30 minute race I did at midnight with another rower from Great Britain.<br /><br />- Krysta

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » October 8th, 2005, 12:43 pm

How cool is that?! Real time racing against someone across the pond! That really makes me feel like this is a global "village"! I have so many more questions about how it works and... I guess I'll have to investigate!<br />Thanks,<br />Robin

[old] Canada Goose

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Canada Goose » November 10th, 2005, 6:33 pm

Hi Robin and everyone else! <br /><br /> I decided to do the 30 minute Thursday row today. It's abeen about two months since I did it last, so I figured that it was time! Anyway, I got a new PB. Yay! I got an extra 146 metres and placed 38th out of 107 rowers in my category, or 36%.<br /><br />I don't actually like the 30 minute rows that much because on the other rankings I always tell myself that if I would just go faster, it would be finished sooner, but for the 30 minute ranking it's for thirty minutes no matter how fast I go! <br /><br />Shannon

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » November 10th, 2005, 10:06 pm

Well, I did the 30-minute Thursday today, too. It wasn't my best, but it was good that I had this challenge for myself otherwise I think I might have blown it off today altogether. I'm afraid to click on the "rank" link because I know I'm going to go down in the standings from last week. Oh well. I will have something to shoot for next week. <br /><br />Let me ask you all, Who's going to do 30-Minute Thursday on <b>Thanksgiving Day</b>? I think I'd better!<br /><br />Happy Thursday!<br /><br />Robin

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » November 11th, 2005, 7:20 am

Hi Fellow Ducks!<br />I keep forgetting about TMT - must be old age setting in! I'm planning on rowing on Turkey Day, but for more than 30 minutes. I have to get moving early if I'm going to try the Holiday Challenge. <br /><br />Keep up the good work!<br />Buffle

[old] Laupi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Laupi » November 11th, 2005, 2:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Krysta Coleman+Sep 23 2005, 02:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Krysta Coleman @ Sep 23 2005, 02:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Good work everyone!<br /><br />It's been a while since I did a Thirty-Minute-Thursday, so I gave it a shot in a late night online RowPro session.  New PB by 332m. <br /><br />-Krysta <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><b>Really ladies - its great to see you row 332 m in 30 minutes - keep going! Good luck - maybe one day you can enjoy the legue - and be careful not to fall off the rower.</b>