Thirty-minute Thursdays Challenge

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » August 12th, 2005, 1:11 am

Oh my goodness, Deb! You rock! Glad you could join us! I wouldn't be the one cleaning lung tissue off the rail if I did your distance. I'd be dead.<br />Robin

[old] LandLocked

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LandLocked » August 13th, 2005, 4:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-sirrobin+Aug 11 2005, 08:48 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sirrobin @ Aug 11 2005, 08:48 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The reason I took yesterday off was because I didn't get much sleep due to a slammin' tension headache for which I ended up in the emergency room for some miracle drug through an IV.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />A tension headache that needed iv relief? Are you sure that's not a migraine? Cause ouch! But I bet whatever they gave you needed more than one day to clear out of your system. I've had non-iv stuff take a week to clear out. <br /><br />One of these weeks I'll remember 30 min Thursdays <br />

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » August 14th, 2005, 8:49 pm

Wow.. leave town for a little while and you miss out on all the fun!!<br /><br />Everyone is doing so great! I guess I have to mark my calendar for Thursday's 30-minute row. Right now I am ranked 42 of 79 with 6168 meters, but I haven't been able to come even close to that lately. This just may be the extra motivation I need to push myself a little harder!<br />

[old] Krysta Coleman

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Krysta Coleman » August 18th, 2005, 3:09 pm

Well, I am back on track for the 30 min Thursdays. I am still recovering from a cold, so I didn't race it, but I still got 6440. <br /><br />I just got my new Model D rower yesterday! I turned the guest room into a rowing room, so I guess any guests will just have to sleep in the nursery. I have the rower in half the room, with my RowPro laptop beside it, and a mirror to help me improve my technique. The other half of the room is occupied by a big blanket for my 6 month old girl to sleep on while I row. I can just nurse Kasey to sleep, put on some good rowing tunes with headphones, and row away! I can see I won't have to worry about the erg noise waking her. In fact, she woke up today as soon as I stopped! Maybe next time I will come to a really slow stop over 10 strokes or more, so the sudden absence of noise doesn't disturb her.<br /><br />Looking forward to hearing how everyone does on the 2000m 20th!<br /><br />- Swamp Hen

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » August 20th, 2005, 12:31 pm

Well, I didn't do 30 minutes until Friday. I was out of town taking care of my mom post-op for the first half of last week and then wall-to-wall meetings at work started early on Thursday, so... Anyway, Friday was a good day for it. I took the day off from work and did the Blue Moon Challenge. I did the first 5000 meters early then ran my errands and came back and did my 30 minutes ranked. And I ended up with a Personal Best with 5718 meters - ranking 55 of 81 in my category. Good for me! <br />Robin

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » August 25th, 2005, 12:37 pm

I did my 30 minutes today but didn't have much left at the end. I'm not going to rank this one. But I did it. I burned 400 calories between the warm up, 30 minutes and the cool down. Good for me! <br /><br />Anyone else?

[old] Canada Goose

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Canada Goose » September 1st, 2005, 5:50 pm

Hi,<br /><br />I tried the 30 minute Thursday challenge today and got a new PB by 35 metres. That gives me an extra 4 nonathlon points and I end up ranked 35th out of 79 or 44%. <br /><br />Tomorrow I'm going on holidays for a week, so I fully expect Ellen and Jenny to pass me in the DIAR standings, but I'll have fun trying to chase them down when I get back!<br /><br />Shannon

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » September 1st, 2005, 6:40 pm

Way to go Shann! Have a good holiday!

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » September 2nd, 2005, 10:35 am

I did 30-minute Thursday yesterday, too. No personal best, but 66 meters better than last week anyway! <br /><br />Until next week!<br /><br />Robin<br /><br />P.S. Good job, Shannon!

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » September 11th, 2005, 1:54 pm

This week I beat my distance from last week, but not my PB. But, after doing a 1/2 marathon on Monday and a PB on a 500 meter piece, I'll accept that. I wrote myself a note for next week to remember to start out faster than I did this time if I want to beat this week's distance because I was really tired at the end!<br /><br />How are you all doing? Anyone else continuing to do 30-minute Thursdays with me?

[old] Laupi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Laupi » September 13th, 2005, 6:14 pm

When will be the next challenge?

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » September 13th, 2005, 11:37 pm

Thursday, of course! I try to best my distance every week in a 30-minute ranked workout on Thursdays. Care to join me?<br /><br />If you want to do something else, check out the 500 meters on the 5th of each month and the 2000 meters on the 20th. These are just some of the things I do to put a little spice in my workouts.<br /><br />

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » September 16th, 2005, 1:25 pm

The Buffle is coming out of hiding!<br /><br />I haven't been the best little duck in the pond lately. However, I did manage to do a 10K instead of 30 minutes for your TMT challenge. I have been watching this forum closely - I rarely miss a day checking up on everyone's progress. I can see that a lot of you newer ducks are paddling past me like there's no tomorrow!!<br />I'm going to do my best to join in on Thursdays. Keep up the great work.<br /><br />Kudos to you sirrobin for providing incentive for all the ladies out there!<br /><br />Later,<br />The Buffle

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » September 17th, 2005, 5:52 pm

Well, this week I didn't feel it. I just couldn't get going. I "just rowed" for just under 30 minutes and never got much power. Then I didn't even get out there Friday. And today, Saturday, I just got in about 15 minutes! I'm hoping my sluggishness dissipates tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's all allergies, but I continue having what seem to be sinus headaches. Bleh! Anyway, this doesn't mean I'm throwing in the towel! There's always next Thursday!<br /><br />Thanks for the encouragement, Bufflehead! I needed it. <br /><br />Robin

[old] grace21may

Women's Forum

Post by [old] grace21may » September 20th, 2005, 3:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-sirrobin+Sep 17 2005, 04:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sirrobin @ Sep 17 2005, 04:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well, this week I didn't feel it. I just couldn't get going. I "just rowed" for just under 30 minutes and never got much power. Then I didn't even get out there Friday. And today, Saturday, I just got in about 15 minutes! I'm hoping my sluggishness dissipates tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's all allergies, but I continue having what seem to be sinus headaches. Bleh! Anyway, this doesn't mean I'm throwing in the towel! There's always next Thursday!<br /><br />Thanks for the encouragement, Bufflehead! I needed it. <br /><br />Robin <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'd like to join you on the 30-minute Thursday challenge. As far as "not feeling it", that's my life story. haha. I am training for a 1/2 marathon in December and thought rowing would be a good way to cross-train. Truly, rowing is like running for the upper body. I had the resistence set between 3 and 4, but had to move it down a little because it was just too hard for me. This type of communicating is new to me as well, so I hope this lands in the right spot. Rowing is tough on my hands.... any suggestions?