Challenge?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] seat5

Women's Forum

Post by [old] seat5 » November 30th, 2005, 1:02 am

I'm off to a dreadfully late start on the Challenge this year--we go away over Thanksgiving and do some winter hiking in the White Mountains. Friday we did a rather steep hike in deep snow, and had to come back the same steep way instead of taking an easier trail down because the trail was waist deep in snow and the wind was howling across the exposed ridge and would not have been safe at all. So coming down I believe I fell about 25 times. It was in the snow but still I was pretty sore the next couple of days! Anyway, here it is on the 29th & I've only got 11K in. I'd better get my fanny in gear! <br /><br />You guys all are doing great!

[old] grams

Women's Forum

Post by [old] grams » December 1st, 2005, 2:06 pm

I just entered my time for my 3rd marathon ever with a new pb for me. <br /><br />Thanks to C2 for adding the IND_V feature to their PM3 software, I did the row at home where I could play my loud music: The Kinks double albums, ZZTop, REO Speedwagon. And some Taiko drumming towards the end when I was completely zoned out.<br /><br />Ladies 60-69 years, come on and do one too. I'm the only one up there on the C2 World Rankings this season for either lw or hw 60-69 females. When I finally lose the pounds I put on in Oz eating chips and chili sauce with sour cream I will do another one and maybe hold on to my lw record.<br /><br />The stats: slow by macho standards, but fine by me.<br /><br />3:41:18.9 split 2:37.5 Sr 21 df 109 loosely strapped in.<br /><br />How I did it: <br /><br />The night before I ate some carbs; basmati rice works for me.<br /><br />I used cyclists/rowers 'glide-on' antichafe stuff on the important parts. A bubblewrap sheet to sit on. Large bandaids on my heels. A pad in my underwear where my tailbone rides. Lets face it- I knew I wasn't going to be hovering over my erg seat for the whole 3 3/4 hours like ranger advises.<br /><br />During the row: water and dilute juice in glasses by the erg. Also lemon drops and glucose tablets. No stopping at all-just quick pauses to wipe off the sweat and take a quick drink. No getting off the machine.<br /><br />I knew I would have a raw spot on my rear, and maybe some chafing on other places so when I finished I put some antihistamine cream on selected spots to reduce the irritation. <br /><br />The last 8000 meters are always tough, but by then I can tell pretty well how much I will take off my previous marathon time so its not that hard to get through. My plan was to finish off my 3rd million, (done) do a 3rd marathon (done) and do the Holiday Challenge. <br /><br />I'm on my way to getting that box from C2 with lots of goodies in it all at once. (Marathon mug, glass for my million meters, and hopefully a Challenge sweatshirt)<br /><br />grams

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » December 1st, 2005, 2:34 pm

Great to see all you women hunkering down for the Holiday Challenge. I've got 60,060m so far and haven't rowed today yet. I can vouch for the sweatshirt - great color and terrific design. It's kind of a boxy style, not form fitting in the least. Oh, and it's a hoody too!

[old] Iliana

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Iliana » December 1st, 2005, 3:08 pm

I'm also making a late start, and it will be a slow start as well as I will be ramping carefully up.. I started rowing again in early november, at which point I had an unrelated but temporarily disastrous lower back injury. Then I left for Denmark on the 19th, and I've just returned last night.<br /><br />The great news is that my back feels terrific, but I'll still be starting very carefully. I really like the long steady rows, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to ramp up quickly enough to make this challenge by the deadline.<br /><br />I tried to get an appointment with the spine center back in early november, and the first one they had available was dec 23rd :-) Oh well, it'll all come out in the wash.<br /><br />It's great to see all of you doing the challenge, and a real treat to see old pals Seat5 & Grams. Good inspiration!<br /><br />Off to mammography. Joy.. not!<br /><br />:-)<br /><br />../Iliana

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » December 1st, 2005, 3:25 pm

Holy Cow! Or should I say Ducks? Everyone is really doing well. Glad to see you back, Harly.<br /><br />Grams - I take my hat off to you. There's no way I could manage a marathon right now! I don't know how you do it with just those short little breaks. I'm doing good to knock out a 20K right now. Congrats on the PB!<br /><br />As far as my progress goes, I'm hanging in there. So far I have 70K and I'll try for a 10K tonight. If I can keep up this pace, I will make my goal for the 18th.<br /><br />Hey Everybody - keep us posted of your progress! Hmmmmm - I wonder how many Ducks can finish this challenge??? Let us hear from you! (Even if you're not a Duck!) After all, we're all in this together!<br /><br />Later,<br />The Buffle

[old] seat5

Women's Forum

Post by [old] seat5 » December 1st, 2005, 7:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Iliana+Dec 1 2005, 07:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Iliana @ Dec 1 2005, 07:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm also making a late start, and it will be a slow start as well as I will be ramping carefully up..  I started rowing again in early november, at which point I had an unrelated but temporarily disastrous lower back injury.  Then I left for Denmark on the 19th, and I've just returned last night.<br /><br />The great news is that my back feels terrific, but I'll still be starting very carefully.  I really like the long steady rows, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to ramp up quickly enough to make this challenge by the deadline.<br /><br />I tried to get an appointment with the spine center back in early november, and the first one they had available was dec 23rd :-)  Oh well, it'll all come out in the wash.<br /><br />It's great to see all of you doing the challenge, and a real treat to see old pals Seat5 & Grams.  Good inspiration!<br /><br />Off to mammography.  Joy.. not!<br /><br />:-)<br /><br />../Iliana <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Boy am I glad to hear you're back on the erg, Iliana!! Take care of the back...<br /><br />Hey Grams, good job on that marathon. Even though I've done a couple it seems an eternity ago and it's hard to imagine doing one right now. But I'll bet I'll have to do one to make the Challenge this year. My. What fun that will be.

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 1st, 2005, 9:23 pm

Hey there!<br /><br />Has anyone seen the Fall 2005 C2 Update?? The feature article about the Ducks and Ancient Mariners is in there! Nice pic of the Buffle and Harly Ducks, but where are your feathers?? There are quips/quotes from Buffle, Shannon (Canada Goose) and Krysta from Canada, moi from WI, and Kathi Strichman from CO. <br /><br />Both stories about the Ducks and the Mariners are warm and inspiring. Those Ancient Mariners are pretty incredible, but imho, so are the DIAR. And also mentioned were some other "adopted ducks," like Grams, Seat5 and Carole Mac. Judy Geer from C2 did a very nice job with the article. Thanks, Judy!<br /><br />And Krysta--nice pic of you in the article, too, complete with your little peanut in the background. You're setting a good example there for that little one. <br /><br />Iliana--bummer about the back pain. One thing bad about back pain and headaches--there's just not too much you can do to get comfortable. Glad your back is doing better, and I hope it stays that way.<br /><br />Grams--you just keep amazing me! I'm printing out your "preparation" list for a marathon--lots of useful stuff there, thanks. You are a tremendous ambassador for this sport.<br /><br />Shannon--great job on the 10k PB. Keep crankin' out those meters, girl!<br /><br />I've got 69,758 so far, and I'm going to try for a second row tonight. I only got 4k in this a.m.--draggin' my tailfeathers outta bed was a bit of a chore. <br /><br />Buffles --how are the vampire attacks going? I got my flu shot, and you were right--I didn't feel a thing. It's the first time I ever got one. Keep up the great progress towards your goal of finishing the HC early!<br /><br />Happy HC-ing everyone!<br />--Jen

[old] kelley127

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kelley127 » December 2nd, 2005, 12:27 am

Grams - You are the WOMAN! You rock - I can only hope that I can follow in your footsteps someday! <br /><br />Otherwise - I'm 50k into the challenge. I have never rowed that many meters in one week, so I'm thrilled - and except for the not so fun sore bum - not hurting!! And this was supposed to be my busy week, so should still be on target to finish the 200k HC. <br /><br /><br />And this week I found out that one of my co-workers has a C2 too! How about that?!? He's not really doing the HC challenge, and I've got him beat on total meters, but we're going to try to come up with our own "work" challenge - I've gotta think of something... <br /><br />but HC first. Go Ducks! <br /><br />Michelle

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » December 2nd, 2005, 5:29 am

Wow! You didn't waste any time, Grams! Congratulations! The two marathons I've done were both very slow, with breaks. And I was wiped out after each one. I didn't do anything special to prepare, though, other than making sure I had a large chunk of time free.... I think next time I'll try some of your methods, especially during the row. I never really knew how to stay energized, since real food during the marathon just made my stomach ache. The Holiday Challenge is going well. I may actually finish before Christmas Eve for a change. I'm at 80k and a bit. <br /><br />Emilia

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » December 2nd, 2005, 1:01 pm

Hello Everybody!<br />I hope my copy of the Update will be in my mailbox tonight. So far, I haven't seen the finished product. I'm glad that C2 wanted to do a section about the virtual teams. I think being on a team really helps a lot of us! Besides that, it's lots of fun! <br /><br />The bad old Buffle didn't row last night. That means I need to attempt a 20K tonight! Now, if I can squeeze at least one more long one in over the weekend, I should be in good shape.<br /><br />How's everyone's progress coming along? There sure are going to be lots of sweatshirts out there by the time this is over!!<br /><br />Keeps those meters piling up!<br />Buffles

[old] Citroen

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Citroen » December 2nd, 2005, 8:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Dec 2 2005, 01:23 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Dec 2 2005, 01:23 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Has anyone seen the Fall 2005 C2 Update??  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Is the "fall" update available online anywhere? Or is it just something printed on dead trees and sent by snail mail? Or is it an e-mail newsletter?

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 2nd, 2005, 9:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Dec 2 2005, 08:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Dec 2 2005, 08:50 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Dec 2 2005, 01:23 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Dec 2 2005, 01:23 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Has anyone seen the Fall 2005 C2 Update??  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Is the "fall" update available online anywhere? Or is it just something printed on dead trees and sent by snail mail? Or is it an e-mail newsletter? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hello!<br /><br />It's a snailmail update, but it also gets posted on the C2 website. I just checked, however the Fall 2005 Update hasn't yet been posted. Here's the link for whenever it does get posted: <a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/about/update.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/about/update.asp</a><br /><br />--Jen

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » December 6th, 2005, 1:32 am

Hi Everybody,<br /><br />I have been away. Way too swamped at work (and working too much). Haven't had time to read threads. Rowing has been nonexistent because it is too late when I get home. If i do get home at a decent hour, I want to eat with the family (tried rowing after once--never again!). I've tried rowing in the morning but I get sick. (I don't think I was designed to function at 5 am)<br /><br />As I have said before new frustrating and stressful job. I have insomnia, grind my teeth, and stress eat. (I just spend $1700 at the dentist to repair/replace a couple of teeth--just think--I could have bought TWO C2 model D!)<br /><br />ANYWAY it is time for the challenge and I have been rowing! I started rowing for the first time last November for the challenge and went 100,000! I downloaded the iron on, bought a $5 t-shirt at walmart and ironed it on! SO go ducks, go!<br /><br />This year I am targeting the 200,000. I have been getting in 7,000 almost evey day. With my insomnia, I got up to eat and read the 500 on the 5th strand and went and did it for a PB (got it in just under midnight.) <br /><br />SO thanks for the motivation and encouragement! (it will be especially helpful after the holiday row is over!)<br /><br />Susan, the wood duck<br /><br />

[old] LittleBit

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LittleBit » December 6th, 2005, 5:42 pm

Hi fellow Ducks!<br />I've had my rower just over one month - Yea! I really love it, and the C2 website is so much fun. So glad I joined the DIAR team - it's so neat to be able to keep in touch with other ladies. What a neat article in the fall Update too. I'm going for the 100,000 challenge this year, and so far have 34000+, so feel good about getting to my goal. Have been rowing two days & off a day so that I don't over do or over hurt, and it seems to be working. I'm not too worried about speed right now, as I am watching my technique & not getting too tired before the end of a row. Any suggestions are welcome for this new Duck! I still have to think up a "ducky" name, so Catherine will do for now. Go Ducks & Happy HC!<br /> <br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 6th, 2005, 11:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-LittleBit+Dec 6 2005, 05:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LittleBit @ Dec 6 2005, 05:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi fellow Ducks!<br />I've had my rower just over one month - Yea!  I really love it, and the C2 website is so much fun.  So glad I joined the DIAR team - it's so neat to be able to keep in touch with other ladies.  What a neat article in the fall Update too.  I'm going for the 100,000 challenge this year, and so far have 34000+, so feel good about getting to my goal.  Have been rowing two days & off a day so that I don't over do or over hurt, and it seems to be working.  I'm not too worried about speed right now, as I am watching my technique & not getting too tired before the end of a row.  Any suggestions are welcome for this new Duck!  I still have to think up a "ducky" name, so Catherine will do for now.  Go Ducks & Happy HC! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey LittleBit!<br /> <br />You sound like you're doing things just about right, and you're keeping rowing fun. If the rowing gets to be too much work, that means it's not fun anymore, and you most likely will quit rowing. 34,000m equals 21.13 miles. Not too shabby, hey? And 100,000 meters equals 62.14 miles! <br /><br />Welcome to the Duck Pond, and Happy HC back atchya!<br /><br />--Jen<br /><br />