What Training Have You Done Today??

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » May 3rd, 2005, 3:34 pm

Hello snappyrower....<br /><br />Keep on rowing, you do just well, 'it important to keep on even if you have tiring other activities.<br />I left my erg for some time since I'm doing most on water pieces at the moment. Now I'm resting a week because this weekend I go for the famous Dutch "Elfsteden rowmaraton of 220 km on the lakes, canals and rivers of Friesland, the Netherlands. We do it with 100 boats, each boot has four rowingcrews who do the distance "in estafettestyle" The distance will take approx 20 hours and it is a match.<br /><br />Oh lady-rowers think on me when I'm rowing on that dark lake to do my piece of 60 km...coming friday night. I'll let you know how it was. Untill that, no more erging or rowing.<br /><br />Greetings, Ank<br />(She's crazy isn't she?

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » May 3rd, 2005, 11:41 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! Good luck on your row. I will keep you in mind this week! I can't imagine a 60k! That's awesome!

[old] JaneW.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] JaneW. » May 4th, 2005, 12:54 am

Nice area! First time to log in the women's forum and this sure feels different. <br />Maybe I'll meet new people too. <br /><br /><br />Tonight <br />50 min erg, then 15min more 23-26spm<br /><br />run 3.5 miles.

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » May 4th, 2005, 3:00 pm

Welcome Jane W. Hop in with us anywhere, and feel free to post on anything. The more the merrier!

[old] Mary P.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mary P. » May 4th, 2005, 4:14 pm

60KM!!! Ouch! I hope you get a good week's rest after the lake race, Ank. Will think of you. Don't forget to log those meters, too (that would be a couple weeks worth of rowing for many people).<br /><br />Today - warmup, then 5 repeats of 1000m hard (1:55) immediately followed by paddle 1000m. Very challenging - but on reading about the 60KM race, no complaints.<br /><br />Welcome, Jane!<br />Mary P.

[old] JaneW.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] JaneW. » May 5th, 2005, 1:34 am

What a warm welcome from the both of you! Bear hugs. <br /><br />I'm taking a look at Oarsome Foursome DVD and will give you guys more written details later. 60 minutes of body weight exercises and other rowing info.Too bad this isn't virtual reality or else we can all watch together. <br /><br />Tonight: <br /><br />short swim and maybe a 15min erg. <br /><br />I never care much for erg times or mileage. I only love the endorphins if y'all know what I mean.

[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » May 5th, 2005, 9:44 pm

It's Friday, about 12 hours before I have to start rowing the 60 km. I can't sleep from excitement. Thank you all for the encouragement.<br />After that, no rest. Just enough time to wash the sweat out of my rowingsuit and have it dried. Another match coming up, but that's a sprint. I'll see. If I'm too tired I can give up. But that's a word that I do not like. <br /><br />And yes, I love the endorphines. Is there somithing like "rowers-high"? If so, I'm probabely the one who enjoys it. <br /><br />Have fun...<br />Ank

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » May 5th, 2005, 10:33 pm

Hi Jane, welcome to the forum!<br /><br />Good luck with 60 km Ank!!! We'll be rooting for you!<br /><br />Because of our upcoming marathon on Saturday, I only rowed a 2K today, but I put every thing I had into it. Man oh man was I spent afterwards but I took about 4 seconds off my old PB. I didn't break the 9 minute mark yet, but I am getting closer with 9:02.7! <br />

[old] JaneW.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] JaneW. » May 6th, 2005, 3:22 am

I can definitely feel the energy rolling! I am psyched from meeting everyone of you Snappyrower, Mary P., Ank, Kathi S. <br /><br />I watched the Crash B 2000 video tonight. Big motivation.<br /><br />Workout :55min erg at level 4 from 24-26spm aerobic<br /> 10, 5 minutes level 5 focused on strength<br /> abdominal work<br /><br /><br />Oarsome Foursome DVD (part 1)- here our my notes for those who are unable to watch this. Two Olympic rowers are shown rowing barefoot!<br /><br />Inspirational messages from each Olympic Australian rower<br />Drew Ginn says for those trying to get started in rowing, one needs to be patient, listen to your body, don't push too hard, take small steps, remember your reward at the end of your journey, be realistic and have fun<br /><br />James Tomkins says to focus on quality, less on quantity. This quality becomes a state of mind where a person tries to do one thing really well. Have a plan and a purpose.<br /><br />Mike McKay speaks of enjoying the process. Set a goal that is yours only. Work out with others to stay motivated and do other fun activities to change things up occasionally.<br /><br /><br />yoga strteches <br />leg drills which included side steps, jump squats, running in place, lunge jumps<br /><br />All of this added to a sweet, sweet rowing session. Please enjoy everyone. Jane

[old] Mary P.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mary P. » May 7th, 2005, 3:47 pm

Wonder how Ank is doing with the 60Km lake race...<br />also wonder what is "in estafettestyle"; something like tag team?<br /><br />Mary P.<br />

[old] JaneW.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] JaneW. » May 8th, 2005, 2:07 am

Tonight<br /><br />(logging in is helping me to push myself harder)<br /><br />Level 4- The last two intervals were done shorter and faster. Played with a different catch position. <br />35min <br />25 min<br />20 min <br />20min

[old] Mary P.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mary P. » May 8th, 2005, 1:43 pm

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY, to all the rowing moms!<br /><br />Today, ran a couple miles, erged 4K warmup, then rowed 14+ K in my single -- beautiful flat water & sunny skies, no wind. Perfect start to Mothers Day. My son gave me an Almond Joy bar-mmmm, my favorite!<br /><br />Hope it's a great day for all, <br />Mary P.

[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » May 8th, 2005, 5:50 pm

"estafettestyle" is maybe a non existing word in English, but I wanted to tell that several rowingcrews follow each other to do the whole distance. In this case: four crews doing approx 60 km each, one crew afther the other. The goal: bringing the boat home as soon as possible. The total distance was 230 km.<br /><br />And yeah ladies, I succeeded. It was going well. I had to do the starting part and that was incredibly motivating since it was in the middle of a big city (Leeuwarden) with many spectators! I rowed very, very powerfull, I think harder than I ever did on such a distance. We could follow our "quickest scedule" and passed many other boats whilst only one boat was passing us. Rowing during night is wonderfull too!<br /><br />I felt so strong after this but later the weather became very harsh. Plenty of wind, hard rains and much cold. When we reached the coastal aria of the Netherlands it was so windy that the oars flipped in the wind and we had the feeling we were rowing on a sandy beach in stead of the water. This wind was also a big problem for the crews after me. They had to give up their speed and we lost position. The winners of the match were former dutch olympic rowers. Them I cannot beat of course but I felt proud to be part of this match and it's always a good feeling to receive a medal!<br /><br />That was my training this weekend, today no rowing, two blisters and some slight musclepain in the butt!<br />Ank<br />

[old] JaneW.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] JaneW. » May 9th, 2005, 12:47 am

Ank,<br />I'm so excited for you. Rowing at night must be devine and the changing must have been quite a challenge. <br /><br /> Happy Mother's Day<br />My mom did not grow up in an era where sports were encouraged for women. But now in her 60's, she's finally exercising and eating healthfully on a daily basis and she credits me for influencing her. I feel proud of her. She and I have renewed are relationship.<br /><br /><br />Tonight<br />5 minute warmup, 40 minute run level of perceived exertion 7-8.5, working with hills again. I focused on using my quads to help me up the inclines. The shorter 20 min pieces have pushed my running to a different level today. I started out quick right away. <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » May 9th, 2005, 7:03 am

Rowing at night is really, really wonderful. You cannot see what you are doing, so you must pay more attention to what you hear and feel. Rowing at night brings unity in the boat! You have to listen and feel your rowing mates.<br /><br />At our rowingclub we also have to exercise with closed eyes during rowing. This forces you to feel what you are doing. This is pleasant on an erg as well. Closing your eyes on the erg let your toughts float away from everydays businesses and keeps you focused on yourself.<br /><br />Ank