Marathon & Half Marathon Rows

read only section for reference and search purposes.
LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » April 25th, 2005, 7:42 am

Hi All - I got my half marathon row in on Saturday - 1:47:36.3 (2:33.0/500 pace). I was pleased with that, though I had a little left in the tank at the end. Think I'll wait until next ranking season to try another half marathon row. <br /><br />I sat on a small folded towel on a seat pad, did not wear gloves. My body felt very comfortable throughout the row. I drank three times - one handed rowing - from a water bottle, at 30 minutes, 1 hour and 1 1/2 hours. <br /><br />For breakfast - about 2 1/2 hours before the row - I had a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and peanuts, three slices of turkey bacon, and a small glass of V8 juice. I was hungry by the time I finished the row, but not famished. <br /><br />Let us know how you do on your marathon and half marathon rows!<br /><br />-Linda, aka Harly

[old] Canada Goose

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Canada Goose » April 25th, 2005, 2:12 pm

I did my half marathon on April 17th. I finished in 1:58:30.7 which I was actually happy with since I my goal was just to finish under two hours. I rowed with nothing on the seat for the first 11,000 and then added two layers of bubble wrap. I did get a sore rear end, by the end. I think next time, I'll just start out with the bubble wrap from the beginning. I didn't use gloves. My hands were a little sore by the end, but nothing serious. I have tried gloves before, but didn't like them. I did have some problems with a cramping hamstring (just one!), but managed to keep going. All in all, I was pleased and proud of myself, but glad to be finished!<br /><br />Shannon

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » April 26th, 2005, 12:35 am

Hi everyone,<br /><br />So far during this challenge I have rowed two half marathons. I rowed the first on 4/19 at 1:58:43.1. Not a great time, but like Canada Goose, I was happy to finish under two hours. I was tired and wasn't sure I'd finish at all. <br /><br />I rowed the second half marathon earlier tonight (4/25). My time was 1:52:03.6 (2:39.5/500 pace). It was a personal best so I was quite pleased with it. <br /><br />Both times I set up four large cups of ice water next to the rower and on top of a small ice chest so that I could reach them easily. I have to drink often (every few thousand meters at least), as I dry out very quickly. I always row with a folded towel on a seat pad. I also always wear gloves (I know, I know). I still get callouses on my fingers, but my hands get too sweaty and I have a hard time gripping the bar without the gloves. <br /><br />I may try to row another half marathon on Friday, will see how I feel then. Tonight's half marathon was my 7th one since I started rowing in February. I have also had 25k and 30k rows. I am really trying to gear myself up for the Duck marathon on May 7th, and also still really pushing to get my million meters in by June 5th.

[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » April 29th, 2005, 9:08 am

I did the full marathon two days ago. I felt wonderfull. Although I own a Concept2 I descided to row the marathon at our local gym. Just to have more people around and have some chats during the marathon. My time 3 hours and 28 minutes. I kept the heartrate at 145bpm and it stayed quite steady untill the last half hour. Then it raised to 150 bpm because I became tired.<br /><br />On the seat of the rower I had a towel and I was wearing the competition rowers unisuit from the rowingclub I belong to. Just to feel strong and powerful. Food: Always a difficult part... I cannot eat but you have to eat. One banana and three bottles of high calorie sportsdrink with plenty of carbonhydrates.<br /><br />It was much easyer this year than in 2004 when I did my first marathon. I could measure my improvement and this kind of challenges are a good moment to enjoy improvement. The best moment: The applause from all the people and trainers in the gym. I even got a present!<br /><br />Yeah.... why should you do a marathon.... why this torture..... just to enjoy the feeling of succeeding! It tastes so sweet!<br /><br />I'm ready for the big plans of our rowing club. Next week "The Elfstedentocht" an estafette-row on the water throught the Netherlands from 220 KM. To be done by 12 rowers in four crews at one piece. 21 hours of rowing, including night rowing on windy water. How crazy can you be? And yeah... it is a match. The boat should be home as soon as possible. I have to row 60 km and I'm looking forward. I know, I'm crazy!<br /><br />Good luck all you girls, keep on rowing!

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » April 29th, 2005, 1:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Ank+Apr 29 2005, 08:08 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Ank @ Apr 29 2005, 08:08 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My time 3 hours and 28 minutes. I kept the heartrate at 145bpm and it stayed quite steady untill the last half hour. Then it raised to 150 bpm because I became tired.<br /><br />Good luck all you girls, keep on rowing! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Ank - That is a blazing fast pace for a marathon! You are a Dutch amazon, for sure! Did anyone snap a photo of you at the gym during or after your marathon? Send it to denah@concept2.com and she will be sure to help post it for you.<br /><br />Congratulations! Great going! The least we can do, is to keep the appreciations flowing!<br /><br />-Harly<br />

[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » May 1st, 2005, 5:25 pm

Unfortunately, no photograph available. No camera around in the gym. But I have a real crazy other photograph.<br /><br />I was a model for promoting a "sports I-Pod MP3 player holder. This holder makes it possible to wear your I Pod on your arm during exercising. My erg was in a professional photostudio and I was wearing my tight red/white rowingclub unisuit and the white. well designed i-pod in it's red holder on my arm, and I had to pull the handle. I had make-up on and was made al greasy to let the muscles shine and then.... pull baby.... pull!!! <br /><br />Incredibly crazy! But what a fun.<br /><br />Ank<br /><br />Oh, and the photograph from me on the erg in my livingroom with the cat around is also really funny! My cat always want to jump on my lap when I'm on the erg! She sits near it and begins to meoow when I start rowing....really crazy!<br /><br />(Sorry girls, this has nothing to do with rowing a marathon but yeah, sometimes you need some funny stuff....)

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » May 2nd, 2005, 9:00 am

Ank - Please send the iPod photo!! We want to see it. (It's a great story about the photo shoot, too.) -Harly

[old] Ank

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ank » May 3rd, 2005, 3:46 pm

I can imagine you all are curious. The stuff is at the lab now for print and next week I'll probabely have some scanned copies of the negatives. One of them will be choosen for a huge manheight print for an exhibition... I think I'm the most curious off you all...<br /><br />( btw originally I was considering sending "the cat photograph" for my profile....)<br /><br />Have fun lady's, and happy rowing! <br /><br />Ank