Rowing Through A Cold

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] sailorgirl

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sailorgirl » March 23rd, 2005, 3:20 pm

Yuck, I caught my kiddos' colds. This is day two, I'm tired and I have some crud in my lungs, minimal coughing, but icky head congestion. So....how many of you gals have rowed through a cold? Did it make your symptoms worse? Should I wait until the virus has finished doing it's deed?<br />Thanks

[old] Mary P.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mary P. » March 23rd, 2005, 5:02 pm

Hi - usually I row through colds, and find that the exercise opens up my sinuses (*RELIEF*) and gets whatever cold meds I've taken into the blookstream & working faster. Rowing a steady state piece during a cold appears to speed recovery, really! [That said, I always seem to get the mildest version of any cold, which may explain why I can row through.]<br />Get well & have a friend bring homemade chicken soup (if possible), Mary P.

[old] Carl Henrik

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Carl Henrik » March 23rd, 2005, 7:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-sailorgirl+Mar 23 2005, 07:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sailorgirl @ Mar 23 2005, 07:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yuck, I caught my kiddos' colds.  This is day two, I'm tired and I have some crud in my lungs, minimal coughing, but icky head congestion.  So....how many of you gals have rowed through a cold?  Did it make your symptoms worse?  Should I wait until the virus has finished doing it's deed?<br />Thanks <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sorry for a man posting in the womens forum but I feel this is a serious matter that concerns all. These are the recommendations I follow. <br /><br />You can and should do light workout before completely well to quicken recovery. You should, however, not do any sessions until you know the nature of the virus. This is for two reasons: You don't want to "give the virus a head start" before the immunossytem starts to adapt and respond specifically since that will prolongue and worsen the disease. Second, what might seem like a simple cold the first day may turn to a fever the second day. Hard training with a light cold may actually be suicide since that light cold was something serious that had not developed fully yet, and you just knocked out your own defenses. <br /><br />If I get a cold I always avoid training until the third day. If I'm ok from the neck and down then light workouts are in order. Excellent opportunity to do non-squat/deadlift strength training and on water technique without feeling lazy. <br /><br />Before I read up on this I did train while sick. I got a bad fever for three days and I was sick for a week. It took me five months to get back to where I was.

[old] sailorgirl

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sailorgirl » March 23rd, 2005, 7:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Carl Henrik+Mar 23 2005, 03:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Carl Henrik @ Mar 23 2005, 03:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-sailorgirl+Mar 23 2005, 07:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sailorgirl @ Mar 23 2005, 07:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yuck, I caught my kiddos' colds.  This is day two, I'm tired and I have some crud in my lungs, minimal coughing, but icky head congestion.  So....how many of you gals have rowed through a cold?  Did it make your symptoms worse?  Should I wait until the virus has finished doing it's deed?<br />Thanks <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sorry for a man posting in the womens forum but I feel this is a serious matter that concerns all. These are the recommendations I follow. <br /><br />You can and should do light workout before completely well to quicken recovery. You should, however, not do any sessions until you know the nature of the virus. This is for two reasons: You don't want to "give the virus a head start" before the immunossytem starts to adapt and respond specifically since that will prolongue and worsen the disease. Second, what might seem like a simple cold the first day may turn to a fever the second day. Hard training with a light cold may actually be suicide since that light cold was something serious that had not developed fully yet, and you just knocked out your own defenses. <br /><br />If I get a cold I always avoid training until the third day. If I'm ok from the neck and down then light workouts are in order. Excellent opportunity to do non-squat/deadlift strength training and on water technique without feeling lazy. <br /><br />Before I read up on this I did train while sick. I got a bad fever for three days and I was sick for a week. It took me five months to get back to where I was. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Wow, thanks for the replies. I will definitely heed your advice and not row until I see how I feel tommorow, and then light rows thereafter until I feel better. Rowing seems to feel different from running in regards to respiratory effort, so I'm grateful for the advice since I'm a novice erger. I think I''ll just focus on stretching and staying flexible until I row again......<br />

[old] Avid Napper

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Avid Napper » April 2nd, 2005, 8:37 pm

Sorry for a man posting in the womens forum but I feel this is a serious matter that concerns all. These are the recommendations I follow. <br /><br />You can and should do light workout before completely well to quicken recovery. You should, however, not do any sessions until you know the nature of the virus. This is for two reasons: You don't want to "give the virus a head start" before the immunossytem starts to adapt and respond specifically since that will prolongue and worsen the disease. Second, what might seem like a simple cold the first day may turn to a fever the second day. Hard training with a light cold may actually be suicide since that light cold was something serious that had not developed fully yet, and you just knocked out your own defenses. <br /><br />If I get a cold I always avoid training until the third day. If I'm ok from the neck and down then light workouts are in order. Excellent opportunity to do non-squat/deadlift strength training and on water technique without feeling lazy. <br /><br />Before I read up on this I did train while sick. I got a bad fever for three days and I was sick for a week. It took me five months to get back to where I was. <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />Thanks for this advice--I have been fighting something for a couple of days that seems to be mild and ready to leave me alone, then comes back and knocks me flat. An indicisive cold bug, lucky me!<br /><br />I've been felling guilty for not rowing, but I think I'll give it one more day.<br /><br />At least you've givin me the rationalization for doing so--and that works for me! <br /> <br />All good,<br />Avid Napper<br />Ducks In a Row<br /><br /> <br /><br />

[old] Stevo

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Stevo » April 4th, 2005, 8:45 am

I have a cold at the moment, but didn't row whilst I had fever - about two days...now I find a couple of 10 min rows with a decent break in between supresses my cough for a while and generally helps me sleep better...plus the extra water I drink would have to be helping too....<br /><br />Then again I am no doctor - so don't follow my lead!