Congrats To Frankj

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Exrook

e-row

Post by [old] Exrook » September 19th, 2005, 12:24 pm

John, I just checked and saw that you have times entered in the rankings for this ranking year. Based on the following exchange we had last year:<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Nov 10 2004, 02:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Nov 10 2004, 02:44 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Exrook+Nov 10 2004, 10:52 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Exrook @ Nov 10 2004, 10:52 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Sadly, this is exactly the type of response I expected.  <br /><br />Row however you wish, John, and more power to you.  Enter anything in the rankings you wish - it is an honor system after all, and you've been clearly told by C2 what is acceptable and what is not.  It is your choice whether you will honor the rules or break those you don't agree with. </td></tr></table><br />C2 does not allowing level ergs with level railings in the rankings.<br /><br />Thus I will not be able to enter additional times in the rankings without rejacking the erg that I've leveled.<br /><br />I like the feel of the railing being level and, for the time being, I do not wish to rejack up the erg.<br /><br />Also and primarily, I row for my own reasons, not the reasons of C2.<br /><br />Because of these things, I have removed my times from the rankings for this year and, until further notice, will not enter any more times in the rankings. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I guess it is safe to assume that you have removed the modifications you have made to your erg. I don't recall seeing the post where you announced this, but as you are one of the more prolific posters on this forum that is not all that surprising. <br /><br />

[old] Yvette

e-row

Post by [old] Yvette » September 19th, 2005, 12:59 pm

To all who extended good wishes to Frank,<br /><br />Thank you for supporting my husband who is generous, hardworking, and honest. I've been "witness" to this for over 40 years. He told me that there was something going on over this but I just sat down now to read it. Wow! As I read I was getting angry then just began to feel sad for John Rupp. The man needs a hug. <br /><br />I love rowing and all the people I've met associated with it and I think that most issues that come up in this growing sport can be resolved without ill feelings. I know you all believe this should be fun. So, let's move on.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Yvette<br /><br /><br />Dear John Rupp,<br /><br />I know you're feeling cheated, but the way to work out the issues is not by attack. Have you heard the phrase " you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" ? I wish you luck with your rowing and hope that someday you find pleasure in it.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />Yvette Knight

[old] Thomas

e-row

Post by [old] Thomas » September 19th, 2005, 2:48 pm

On the issue of using slides, I really think it is harder to do a piece with slides than without based on my experience of using them. It felt like I had to use more energy in timing as opposed to a stationary erg where I can just pound away.

[old] DavidA

e-row

Post by [old] DavidA » September 19th, 2005, 5:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Sep 18 2005, 06:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Sep 18 2005, 06:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->4)  The V was generated by Frank's program -- not by C2.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The V was 'generated' by a program written by others for use with the erg, not some program Frank made.<br /><br />David

[old] PaulS

e-row

Post by [old] PaulS » September 19th, 2005, 5:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DavidA+Sep 19 2005, 02:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DavidA @ Sep 19 2005, 02:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Sep 18 2005, 06:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Sep 18 2005, 06:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->4)  The V was generated by Frank's program -- not by C2.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The V was 'generated' by a program written by others for use with the erg, not some program Frank made.<br /><br />David <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Come on David! No reason to bring FACTS into this.....

[old] DavidA

e-row

Post by [old] DavidA » September 19th, 2005, 5:53 pm

Sorry , I'll try not to do it again. <br /><br />David<br />

[old] John Rupp

e-row

Post by [old] John Rupp » September 19th, 2005, 7:11 pm

The program is owned by Frank. Therefore it is Frank's program.<br /><br />Frank inputed the information to the program. As a result of Frank's input, his program generated the "V". No one else generated the "V". The "V" was not generated by C2. The "V" was generated by Frank, on his program.

[old] ehagberg

e-row

Post by [old] ehagberg » September 19th, 2005, 8:03 pm

The new PM3 firmware generated a verification code which Frank read off the PM3 screen and typed into the C2 website. The C2 website checked the code against the data (time, distance and date) that Frank entered and verified it corresponded with reality (as far as the PM3 and C2's code is concerned) and then gave it the "verified" stamp.<br /><br />This is not something that is "Frank's" and nobody else's.

[old] John Rupp

e-row

Post by [old] John Rupp » September 19th, 2005, 9:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Exrook+Sep 19 2005, 09:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Exrook @ Sep 19 2005, 09:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I guess it is safe to assume that you have removed the modifications you have made to your erg.  I don't recall seeing the post where you announced this, but as you are one of the more prolific posters on this forum that is not all that surprising.[right] </td></tr></table><br />Well I had unmodified the erg so the railing was flat but, shortly thereafter, undid the unmodifications.<br /><br />Thus my erg has been back to C2's factory made modications for quite awhile now.<br /><br />I had posted here on the forum when the unmodifications were undone.

[old] John Rupp

e-row

Post by [old] John Rupp » September 19th, 2005, 9:22 pm

Hi Yvette,<br /><br />Thanks for your input.<br /><br />As regards the erg, I don't feel cheated by Frank, even though he has used unfair means and exclusionary tactics to get his time in the rankings ahead of others who were honest. That is because I totally enjoy and rely solely on my own life and efforts, which has nothing to do with him or anyone else.<br /><br />However it is certainly in bad taste for someone to submit times done in private with no witnesses, and then lobby to keep others who row at home and WITH witnesses from getting the same "V" by their times. I counted 50 rowers right after Frank in the same rankings division, none of whom had the "V"' by their name, all of whom had rowed their times on the erg, not on slides. <br /><br />Why the exclusionary tactics?<br /><br />Personally I have a 30 minute time in the rankings from earlier this year. It was WITNESSED. However there is no "V" by my name. Well I am 59 so am not in the top 10 anyway for 50+, but would be for 60+, the division I will be in very soon. And there would still be no "V" by my name, even though a witness can verify every one of my rows. No one can verify that Frank was the one who did his.<br /><br />If Frank is really so honest, modest, and hard working, then he should be supportive of those of us rowing at home being able to submit our witnessed times for a "V".<br /><br />If you really want to be honest, Frank, then how about supporting other's efforts -- furthermore, those who have a WITNESS to their times -- to have their own times in the rankings with a "V".

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » September 20th, 2005, 2:26 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Sep 20 2005, 01:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Sep 20 2005, 01:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Yvette,<br /><br />Thanks for your input.<br /><br />As regards the erg, I don't feel cheated by Frank, even though he has used unfair means and exclusionary tactics to get his time in the rankings ahead of others who were honest.  That is because I totally enjoy and rely solely on my own life and efforts, which has nothing to do with him or anyone else.<br /><br />However it is certainly in bad taste for someone to submit times done in private with no witnesses, and then lobby to keep others who row at home and WITH witnesses from getting the same "V" by their times.  I counted 50 rowers right after Frank in the same rankings division, none of whom had the "V"' by their name, all of whom had rowed their times on the erg, not on slides.  <br /><br />Why the exclusionary tactics?<br /><br />Personally I have a 30 minute time in the rankings from earlier this year.  It was WITNESSED.  However there is no "V" by my name.  Well I am 59 so am not in the top 10 anyway for 50+, but would be for 60+, the division I will be in very soon.  And there would still be no "V" by my name, even though a witness can verify every one of my rows.  No one can verify that Frank was the one who did his.<br /><br />If Frank is really so honest, modest, and hard working, then he should be supportive of those of us rowing at home being able to submit our witnessed times for a "V".<br /><br />If you really want to be honest, Frank, then how about supporting other's efforts -- furthermore, those who have a WITNESS to their times -- to have their own times in the rankings with a "V". <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Come on John, lightern up fella, we are not talking about Gold medals or the Olympics here, it's only a Hobby. <br /><br /> <br /><br />Sir Pirate

[old] darrenslater

e-row

Post by [old] darrenslater » September 20th, 2005, 3:06 am

Congrats. I am new here but have been rowing for just over a year. I look to the people on here to help me with motivation and make me push myself faster. You have got to appreciate what Frank did. Congrats, I am 34 and hope that I can hit that time!<br /><br />Darren<br /><br />btw John, why the anger? Life is too short to attack all the time, chill out.

[old] Thomas

e-row

Post by [old] Thomas » September 20th, 2005, 4:40 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Sep 19 2005, 06:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Sep 19 2005, 06:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Yvette,<br /><br />Thanks for your input.<br /><br />As regards the erg, I don't feel cheated by Frank, even though he has used unfair means and exclusionary tactics to get his time in the rankings ahead of others who were honest.  That is because I totally enjoy and rely solely on my own life and efforts, which has nothing to do with him or anyone else.<br /><br />However it is certainly in bad taste for someone to submit times done in private with no witnesses, and then lobby to keep others who row at home and WITH witnesses from getting the same "V" by their times.  I counted 50 rowers right after Frank in the same rankings division, none of whom had the "V"' by their name, all of whom had rowed their times on the erg, not on slides.  <br /><br />Why the exclusionary tactics?<br /><br />Personally I have a 30 minute time in the rankings from earlier this year.  It was WITNESSED.  However there is no "V" by my name.  Well I am 59 so am not in the top 10 anyway for 50+, but would be for 60+, the division I will be in very soon.  And there would still be no "V" by my name, even though a witness can verify every one of my rows.  No one can verify that Frank was the one who did his.<br /><br />If Frank is really so honest, modest, and hard working, then he should be supportive of those of us rowing at home being able to submit our witnessed times for a "V".<br /><br />If you really want to be honest, Frank, then how about supporting other's efforts -- furthermore, those who have a WITNESS to their times -- to have their own times in the rankings with a "V". <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The entry's SOURCE is set by Concept2 and not by an individual.<br /><br /><br />

[old] Yvette

e-row

Post by [old] Yvette » September 20th, 2005, 9:51 am

Hi,<br /><br />How ridiculous all of this has become!<br /><br /> - John Rupp actually responded somewhat to my post but ended up talking to Frank. (?)<br /> - John obviously does not, nor wish, to understand the verification process or the technology behind it. You're all beating a dead horse.<br /> - For the record, I am Frank's witness (I'm here for all of his rows and I often mop up the pools of sweat from the floor too) although John probably doesn't trust me either.<br /> - perhaps this whole episode begs the need for a forum moderator.<br /> - This is my last word on the subject of Franks's super row. <br /><br />Time for some real fun - time to row!!<br />Yvette

[old] PaulH

e-row

Post by [old] PaulH » September 20th, 2005, 10:07 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Sep 19 2005, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Sep 19 2005, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The program is owned by Frank.  Therefore it is Frank's program.<br /><br />Frank inputed the information to the program.  As a result of Frank's input, his program generated the "V".  No one else generated the "V".  The "V" was not generated by C2.  The "V" was generated by Frank, on his program. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Then it seems, John, that you need to remove all your times from the rankings. It's pretty clear that ranking times need to be rowed on a C2 machine, and yet you persist in rowing on a John Rupp machine (the machine is owned by you. Therefore it is your machine).<br /><br />Incidentally, I don't know if this is true of this particular bit of software, but in general you don't 'own' software, you own the right to use it. In which case it isn't Frank's program.<br /><br />Cheers, Paul