Handicap Series Overall Results

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] FrankJ

e-row

Post by [old] FrankJ » July 24th, 2005, 1:13 pm

Here we are with the final Team totals:<br /><br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1--><br />1 Light Weights            1187.8<br />2 Pirates of the Caribbean 1101.4  <br />3 The Slackers             1082.9<br />4 The Transatlantics       1001.2<br />5 Winers and Diners         994.4<br />6 Galley Slaves             389.4<br />7 Team 5                    283.8<br /><!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations to the Light Weights who turned out to be heavyweight points producers. As I sit here scanning through the results it just amazes me the number of PBs and SBs that were produced by this group. Seems that these handicap races bring out the best in an erger.<br /><br />Frank

[old] FrankJ

e-row

Post by [old] FrankJ » July 24th, 2005, 1:22 pm

Here is what I have for 10K times. Look at the number of new SBs here and this was the 6th race of the series. Something to be said for using races to train for racing.<br /><br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1--><br />New SBs    <br />Mark Pukita       42m 35.7s<br />Rich Kane         41m 56.7s<br />Alain Ruel        39m 56.2s<br />Leif Heide        39m 42.5s<br />Michael Benvenuto 38m 30.6s<br />Will Haskell      37m 24.7s<br />Frank Knight      37m 20.7s<br />Jeff Fisher       36m 20.9s<br />  <br />  <br />  <br />Others    <br />Ron Clowson        48m 22.5s<br />Willem Bitter      42m 28.7s<br />Bert Bourgeois     40m 23.1s<br />Andreas von Tonder 36m 00.1s<br />Paul Flack         35m 38.3s<br /><!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br />

[old] jfisher

e-row

Post by [old] jfisher » July 24th, 2005, 2:58 pm

Full results can be found at <a href='http://www.durham.ws/rowproracing/summer06/' target='_blank'>http://www.durham.ws/rowproracing/summer06/</a><br /><br />I now I had a lot of fun, and once we got the kinks worked out it seemed to go pretty smoothly. I hope the next time we have a series more people will decide to join in.<br /><br /><br />Also, I'd just like to say the if Sir Pirate had race either of the 10K races we would have given the light weights a run for there money.<br /><br />Anyway, congrats to the Light Weight team, they did great. Also good job to Ron and Mark who were extremely hesitant to race, but ended doing really well.<br /><br />Thanks for racing<br /><br />Jeff

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » July 24th, 2005, 7:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jfisher+Jul 24 2005, 02:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jfisher @ Jul 24 2005, 02:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Full results can be found at <a href='http://www.durham.ws/rowproracing/summer06/' target='_blank'>http://www.durham.ws/rowproracing/summer06/</a><br /><br />I now I had a lot of fun, and once we got the kinks worked out it seemed to go pretty smoothly.  I hope the next time we have a series more people will decide to join in.<br /><br /><br />Also, I'd just like to say the if Sir Pirate had race either of the 10K races we would have given the light weights a run for there money.<br /><br />Anyway, congrats to the Light Weight team, they did great.  Also good job to Ron and Mark who were extremely hesitant to race, but ended doing really well.<br /><br />Thanks for racing<br /><br />Jeff <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Jeff & Frank:<br /><br />Thanks for making this happen, and keeping it on track. It was a blast, and gave me reason to train harder. Three races and three PRs. I'm hooked.<br /><br />I'm going to try to promote participation amongst a broader group of rowers. I was hesitant because I saw the times put up by guys like Paul, Sir Pirate, Andreas, and the two of you and knew I was nowhere close. The handicap made it more palatable for the ego, more fun, and more competitive ... but Ron pushed me over the edge. <br /><br />Let's go recruit some racers!<br /><br />Thanks again ... Mark<br />

[old] captain

e-row

Post by [old] captain » July 25th, 2005, 12:03 am

. Thank you to every one who participate specially Frank and Jeff for make this happening. Thanks to my team player (never had to race him but!!!!) very solid partner Will and Dean.Mark for the challenge. Now I really need a break, those race put a lot of pressure. <br /><br />Many time I had to race after night shift or under extreme heat but now it's all good and I am very happy it's over I don't think I could hold for on more race . Thank you, thank you. <br /><br />

[old] Will

e-row

Post by [old] Will » July 25th, 2005, 6:08 am

Nice series of races! It got me out of my slump and pulling harder again. Thank you Alain and Dean for being part of the Lightweight team. Thanks Frank and Jeff for organization, website, etc.

[old] Ron

e-row

Post by [old] Ron » July 25th, 2005, 6:24 am

Thanks Frank and Jeff for taking the time and for knowing what to do to keep these HCs going. It was an honor being the turtle. I thank all of you who participated in these HCs for being patient with the turtle and for being good sportsmen!!! I pushed in each race and did the best I could . The workouts were great and staying away from the sharks was one of my goals. They ate me up in that last race. It is great rowing with sportsmen from all over the world. I thank DigitalRowing for making that happen. Thanks to everyone. Ron

[old] Canoeist

e-row

Post by [old] Canoeist » July 25th, 2005, 7:12 am

Thanks Ron for all the points that you gave to the slacker team! You provided the bulk of our points for the first three races. It kept things interesting.<br /><br />I raced a total of ten times. None of them were my best for the season and rarely did I catch anyone. But the race series gave me a reason to pull hard each week. It is good to see so many rowers out there pulling hard and doing their best.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Paul Flack

[old] bmoore

e-row

Post by [old] bmoore » July 25th, 2005, 9:53 am

When will you guys be doing another race series? I'd like to join in next time.

[old] michaelb

e-row

Post by [old] michaelb » July 25th, 2005, 10:11 am

This was great, thanks for setting it up. It forced me to row over the summer in the sweltering heat. I set huge PBs in all three distances which feels great, since it was hard to train during the week. I bought rowpro last summer, when they first promised online racing for the PM3 (May 2004 may been the first promised date). It was a long frustrating bug filled wait. But now having RP host 20+ races over 6 weeks with large fields and little or no problems, I think we can finally say that RP online racing really works.<br /><br />I would like to do another racing series in the fall. It would be fun to do some straightup, nonhandicap, races too. Although I ranked these races, particularly for shorter distances I would prefer to rank nonhandicap races since then we can upload the stroke data for others to download (increasing the pool of RP data for everybody). People interested in online racing though shouldn't wait for the next racing series. List your races and people will hopefully come. Next up for me is a 15k hour, then maybe a hard HM.<br /><br />To Team Slacker: great job guys. No sign we were slacking at all.<br />Ron carried us for weeks. If I had known we would have been close to the top, I may have "gamed" the scoring system more to our advantage. Being part of team definitely made me more motivated to row, and more motivated to row hard.<br />

[old] FrankJ

e-row

Post by [old] FrankJ » July 25th, 2005, 12:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Jul 25 2005, 01:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Jul 25 2005, 01:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When will you guys be doing another race series?  I'd like to join in next time. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Only requests printed on the backs of $20 bills or larger will be considered. <br /><br />Seriously speaking. I have several family things including vacation between now and mid-September. Oh yeah, a marathon on August 28 so I've got to get some distance rows in between now and then too. <br /><br />Right now I would say the weekend of Sept. 24&25 would be a good start date. Then the next question is what type of series do we run. I'm with Michael on wanting some straight up races especially since I will be 60 and with the new PM3 verification code I can get some of them verified and ranked near the top of my new age group. From a purely selfish point of view non-handicapped races are easier to manage with no start delays etc. <br /><br />It is also obvious that the handicapped races allow a broader range of rowers to directly compete with each other so maybe we need some of both kinds of races. <br /><br />Any ideas?<br /><br />Frank

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » July 25th, 2005, 9:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-FrankJ+Jul 25 2005, 12:18 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrankJ @ Jul 25 2005, 12:18 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Jul 25 2005, 01:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Jul 25 2005, 01:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When will you guys be doing another race series?  I'd like to join in next time. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Only requests printed on the backs of $20 bills or larger will be considered. <br /><br />Seriously speaking. I have several family things including vacation between now and mid-September. Oh yeah, a marathon on August 28 so I've got to get some distance rows in between now and then too. <br /><br />Right now I would say the weekend of Sept. 24&25 would be a good start date. Then the next question is what type of series do we run. I'm with Michael on wanting some straight up races especially since I will be 60 and with the new PM3 verification code I can get some of them verified and ranked near the top of my new age group. From a purely selfish point of view non-handicapped races are easier to manage with no start delays etc. <br /><br />It is also obvious that the handicapped races allow a broader range of rowers to directly compete with each other so maybe we need some of both kinds of races. <br /><br />Any ideas?<br /><br />Frank <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Frank:<br /><br />If we can publicize the next series, and had enough participants, we could have "heats" or "sessions" that are ranked by one's PB or projected/targeted time for the distance. For example, a 10K for those under 39 (10kA), one for those between 39 and 42 (10kB), another for 43 to 45 (10kC), etc. This way, one has a chance of having some close competition to race (within the race) so as to be pushed. The key will be to have lots of participants.<br /><br />-- Mark<br />

[old] Canoeist

e-row

Post by [old] Canoeist » July 26th, 2005, 6:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-FrankJ+Jul 25 2005, 04:18 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrankJ @ Jul 25 2005, 04:18 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'm with Michael on wanting some straight up races especially since I will be 60 and with the new PM3 verification code I can get some of them verified and ranked near the top of my new age group. From a purely selfish point of view non-handicapped races are easier to manage with no start delays etc. <br /><br />Any ideas?<br /><br />Frank <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />During the last two fall seasons, we had "Le Tour" which covered just about all the ranked distances. Le Tour is a good way to set many SBs and get Nonathlon points in all classes.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Paul Flack (yellow jersey 2003)

[old] FrankJ

e-row

Post by [old] FrankJ » July 26th, 2005, 7:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jul 26 2005, 01:21 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jul 26 2005, 01:21 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Frank:<br /><br />If we can publicize the next series, and had enough participants, we could have "heats" or "sessions" that are ranked by one's PB or projected/targeted time for the distance.  For example, a 10K for those under 39 (10kA), one for those between 39 and 42 (10kB), another for 43 to 45 (10kC), etc.  This way, one has a chance of having some close competition to race (within the race) so as to be pushed.  The key will be to have lots of participants.<br /><br />-- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Mark,<br /><br />The issue is getting enough participants. We had about 20 participants for the Handicap Series and some of those were very part time. How else do advertise other than in this forum? In the Supercanoa races Marilyn grouped rowers based on one minute time intervals which ends up putting rowers with similar speed together no matter what age, weight or sex. They were fun races because the competition was close. The issue was that we always did 6K races which lacked in variety.<br /><br />Paul's suggestion of something like Le Tour is interesting from the variety point of view but 2 races a weekend takes up a lot of time just to row let alone trying to coordinate something like that. I definitely don't have that kind of time available but I like the idea from the variety aspect.<br /><br />There is a fair amount of work in race coordination and score keeping. It can take a fair amount of time and if we get more participants the effort goes up exponentially. We need a way to share or minimize that workload.<br /><br />Frank

[old] Canoeist

e-row

Post by [old] Canoeist » July 27th, 2005, 11:46 am

In "Le Tour", each race was hosted by a different person. I, for example, hosted the marathon each year. The host of each race was responsible for setting up, running the race, and getting the results sent in.<br /><br />The biggest problem with Le Tour was racing full tilt twice each weekend. That is a lot of back to back racing and many people would back off of one race in order to survive the race held on the next day. That is not the way to set PBs. Also, many people can row one day and not the other. So having two races on a weekend cuts downt the flexibility.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Paul Flack