Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] michaelb

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] michaelb » October 17th, 2005, 3:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Oct 17 2005, 10:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Oct 17 2005, 10:28 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Since reducing my carbon intake, I'm beginning to see more weight loss and today I noticed for the first time that my waist is a little smaller. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I have never heard of a carbon restricted diet. How do you find foods that aren't carbon based?<br /><br />I have decided to get serious about losing weight to finally get to be a lightweight, so I am tracking everything I am eating in a program on my palm, Diet and Exercise Assistant (I had previously lost about 15lbs just by rowing a lot and watching what I ate over the course of year or two). It is work to keep track of everything, but it is very interesting to see how everything breaks down. The program will calculate how much fiber and saturated fat and everything else I am eating, info that you really can't get any other way. It sets my metabolic rate at about 2100, so if I row 500 calories a day, and eat 1900-2200, I am averaging a 300-600 calorie deficit every day. This should be enough to steadily lose weight, without killing myself.<br /><br />The thing I have been struggling with is whether dieting is affecting my energy to row, particularly long rows and hard rows like races. But I am hoping that my body is adjusting to the change.

[old] DavidA

Post by [old] DavidA » October 17th, 2005, 3:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-michaelb+Oct 17 2005, 02:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(michaelb @ Oct 17 2005, 02:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Oct 17 2005, 10:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Oct 17 2005, 10:28 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Since reducing my carbon intake, I'm beginning to see more weight loss and today I noticed for the first time that my waist is a little smaller. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I have never heard of a carbon restricted diet. How do you find foods that aren't carbon based?<br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Eat copper wiring. Drink salt water. <br /><br />David

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » October 17th, 2005, 7:21 pm

[quote=Sleepy_Floyd,Oct 17 2005, 11:24 AM]<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />The only way you'll lose weight is if your calorie burn is greater than your calorie intake. Its possible that just adding the exercise will be enough to tip the scales back towards losing weight, but in most cases even if its enough, the weight loss will be slow. <br />[/quote]<br />"Ain't" that the truth!

[old] Normsthename

Post by [old] Normsthename » October 17th, 2005, 7:23 pm

I thought I would add my very un-Scientific weight loss method.....<br />I started out at 202lb, and cut out the odd packet of crisps (Potato Chips), and the odd can of beer here and there nothing else, I did'nt want to do a diet that I know I would'nt be able to stick to.<br />Then I rowed 5 times a week 4000-5000 metres each session approx. 30-40 minutes.<br />Then 2 weeks ago I bought a treadmill and I do approx 30mins fast walking / Jogging.<br />I alternate between the rower and the treadmill, so one night its the rower and the next night its the treadmill.<br />I have lost 15 lbs in 10 weeks that works out to 1.5 LB's a week, slow but sure, I think I have had only one week when I did'nt lose any weight.<br />I am looking forward to hitting my first 'easy' target weight...... another 12LB's to go........<br />Interestingly my heart rate monitor says I burn approx. 60% more calories on the treadmill than the rower, it must be my leisurely pace!<br /><br />Andy<br /><br />

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » October 17th, 2005, 7:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-michaelb+Oct 17 2005, 12:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(michaelb @ Oct 17 2005, 12:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Oct 17 2005, 10:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Oct 17 2005, 10:28 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Since reducing my carbon intake, I'm beginning to see more weight loss and today I noticed for the first time that my waist is a little smaller. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I have never heard of a carbon restricted diet. How do you find foods that aren't carbon based?<br /><br />I have decided to get serious about losing weight to finally get to be a lightweight, so I am tracking everything I am eating in a program on my palm, Diet and Exercise Assistant (I had previously lost about 15lbs just by rowing a lot and watching what I ate over the course of year or two). It is work to keep track of everything, but it is very interesting to see how everything breaks down. The program will calculate how much fiber and saturated fat and everything else I am eating, info that you really can't get any other way. It sets my metabolic rate at about 2100, so if I row 500 calories a day, and eat 1900-2200, I am averaging a 300-600 calorie deficit every day. This should be enough to steadily lose weight, without killing myself.<br /><br />The thing I have been struggling with is whether dieting is affecting my energy to row, particularly long rows and hard rows like races. But I am hoping that my body is adjusting to the change. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />As for a carbon restricted diet: <a href='http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33106' target='_blank'>http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33106</a> <br />I am just "reducing" my carbon intake. <br /><br />I started my food journal this morning -- writing down everything I eat and breaking it down by calories, grams of protein, fat, carbohydrate, fibre, and vitamins A & C, and the minerals Ca, Fe. My goal also is to become a lightweight. I'll have to get the Diet and Exercise Assistant for my Palm.<br /><br />I think my calorie intake will be in the 1600 cal/day area. I did this once before and it worked -- of course, there will be days when I eat more based on past experience. <br /><br />What I have found is that a reduced diet doesn't affect my long rows at a low DF, but I really suffer on hard rows and just can't go beyond 60 minutes at a fast split and high DF. It's necessary for me to keep my glycogen stores high, so that means eating enough carbohydrates and not too much protein or fat.<br /><br />Mike<br />

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » October 17th, 2005, 7:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Normsthename+Oct 17 2005, 04:23 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Normsthename @ Oct 17 2005, 04:23 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I thought I would add my very un-Scientific weight loss method.....<br />I started out at 202lb, and cut out the odd packet of crisps (Potato Chips), and the odd can of beer here and there nothing else, I did'nt want to do a diet that I know I would'nt be able to stick to.<br />Then I rowed 5 times a week 4000-5000 metres each session approx. 30-40 minutes.<br />Then 2 weeks ago I bought a treadmill and I do approx 30mins fast walking / Jogging.<br />I alternate between the rower and the treadmill, so one night its the rower and the next night its the treadmill.<br />I have  lost 15 lbs in 10 weeks that works out to 1.5 LB's a week, slow but sure, I think I have had only one week when I did'nt lose any weight.<br />I am looking forward to hitting my first 'easy' target weight...... another 12LB's to go........<br />Interestingly my heart rate monitor says I burn approx. 60% more calories on the treadmill than the rower, it must be my leisurely pace!<br /><br />Andy <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I like your approach. I just added a couple of bicycle spinning classes as cross-training, to see if this makes a difference. I have averaged 13,000 metres a day since May 1st, and I have lost about 13 pounds or so. And 10 of those 13 pounds have been in the past 4 weeks after I joined WWs and started paying attention to the vast amounts of carbon I consume. So I have to do something differently -- such as reduce my diet and keep exercising.<br /><br />Mike

[old] Sleepy_Floyd

Post by [old] Sleepy_Floyd » October 18th, 2005, 9:36 am

I've lost about 22lbs (from 190 lbs to 168s lbs) in 4 months.. thats fast enough for me. IMO, weight lost too quickly tends to come back quickly. <br /><br />Most cases of Losing weight quickly is from people doing those "Lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks" type diets or exercise programs... and what happens is that as soon as they've lost the weight, they feel like they've accomplished their goal and they go back to their regular eating or lack of exercise habits... You're more likely to develop good eating and exercising habits by continuing to do it over months or even years. It takes a long time to unlearn our bad habits, especially when some of us have been doing it for 30+ years... <br /><br />IMO, thats what makes the C2 so compelling... no mater how far you row, you can always row one more meter. )

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » October 18th, 2005, 11:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Sleepy_Floyd+Oct 18 2005, 06:36 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Sleepy_Floyd @ Oct 18 2005, 06:36 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I've lost about 22lbs (from 190 lbs to 168s lbs) in 4 months.. thats fast enough for me.  IMO, weight lost too quickly tends to come back quickly.  <br /><br />Most cases of Losing weight quickly is from people doing those "Lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks" type diets or exercise programs... and what happens is that as soon as they've lost the weight, they feel like they've accomplished their goal and they go back to their regular eating or lack of exercise habits...  You're more likely to develop good eating and exercising habits by continuing to do it over months or even years.  It takes a long time to unlearn our bad habits, especially when some of us have been doing it for 30+ years...  <br /><br />IMO, thats what makes the C2 so compelling...  no mater how far you row, you can always row one more meter.  ) <br /> </td></tr></table><br />That's the point really: change our habits from those which cause obesity to those which cause fitness, and the erg can play an integral role. <a href='http://www.medicinenet.com/weight_loss/article.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.medicinenet.com/weight_loss/article.htm</a> <br /><br />Over the long term, our weight is determined by our behavior.<br /><br />Mike

[old] lowwall

Post by [old] lowwall » October 18th, 2005, 3:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I put in over 2,000,000 meters since May 1st and only lost a few pounds </td></tr></table><br /><br />Same here, except subsitute July 2 and 1.5 million. Since I've been averaging around 850 calories a day, it's obviously an intake problem.<br /><br />The truth is that I've never learned to eat moderately. From 4th grade through college I swam and (once I got to high school) played water polo, so I would eat huge amounts just to keep up with the vast caloric expenditure and normal growth. But for the 15 years since college graduation, it's been a real battle to cut my eating to match my reduced caloric needs.<br /><br />Eventually I started rowing, I'm in my 4th year of doing it regularly and I do lose weight when rowing nearly every day, but it is a sloooow process. And if I stop for any length of time I gain fast. Most recently, I didn't row for 4 months ending this July while remodeling my condo and moving - during this time I probably gained 25 pounds.<br /><br />So it's a choice between erging without end or eating less than I want. Probably due to all those hours in the pool, I do have the discipline to row (at least I get to watch TV). Now if I could only discover the discipline to not eat :-(<br /><br />Alex<br /><br />

[old] Sleepy_Floyd

Post by [old] Sleepy_Floyd » October 18th, 2005, 3:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Oct 18 2005, 11:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Oct 18 2005, 11:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Sleepy_Floyd+Oct 18 2005, 06:36 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Sleepy_Floyd @ Oct 18 2005, 06:36 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I've lost about 22lbs (from 190 lbs to 168s lbs) in 4 months.. thats fast enough for me.  IMO, weight lost too quickly tends to come back quickly.  <br /><br />Most cases of Losing weight quickly is from people doing those "Lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks" type diets or exercise programs... and what happens is that as soon as they've lost the weight, they feel like they've accomplished their goal and they go back to their regular eating or lack of exercise habits...  You're more likely to develop good eating and exercising habits by continuing to do it over months or even years.  It takes a long time to unlearn our bad habits, especially when some of us have been doing it for 30+ years...  <br /><br />IMO, thats what makes the C2 so compelling...  no mater how far you row, you can always row one more meter.  ) <br /> </td></tr></table><br />That's the point really: change our habits from those which cause obesity to those which cause fitness, and the erg can play an integral role. <a href='http://www.medicinenet.com/weight_loss/article.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.medicinenet.com/weight_loss/article.htm</a> <br /><br />Over the long term, our weight is determined by our behavior.<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Great Article Mike!! thanks for posting that.<br />

[old] Meri Goehring

Post by [old] Meri Goehring » October 19th, 2005, 1:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Sleepy_Floyd+Oct 18 2005, 02:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Sleepy_Floyd @ Oct 18 2005, 02:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Oct 18 2005, 11:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Oct 18 2005, 11:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Sleepy_Floyd+Oct 18 2005, 06:36 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Sleepy_Floyd @ Oct 18 2005, 06:36 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I've lost about 22lbs (from 190 lbs to 168s lbs) in 4 months.. thats fast enough for me.  IMO, weight lost too quickly tends to come back quickly.  <br /><br />Most cases of Losing weight quickly is from people doing those "Lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks" type diets or exercise programs... and what happens is that as soon as they've lost the weight, they feel like they've accomplished their goal and they go back to their regular eating or lack of exercise habits...   You're more likely to develop good eating and exercising habits by continuing to do it over months or even years.   It takes a long time to unlearn our bad habits, especially when some of us have been doing it for 30+ years...  <br /><br />IMO, thats what makes the C2 so compelling...  no mater how far you row, you can always row one more meter.  ) <br /> </td></tr></table><br />That's the point really: change our habits from those which cause obesity to those which cause fitness, and the erg can play an integral role. <a href='http://www.medicinenet.com/weight_loss/article.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.medicinenet.com/weight_loss/article.htm</a> <br /><br />Over the long term, our weight is determined by our behavior.<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Great Article Mike!! thanks for posting that. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Yes, thanks Mike! And thanks to all who post diet/exercise recommendations. The copper wire and salt water diet doesn't sound so good . However, the suggestions to count calories, (love the Palm idea) kept me on track. Lowering the damper did increase my speed, so I appreciate the input and explanations as well. Since my goal is weight loss, not necessarily speed, I think I will concentrate more on increasing the meters to keep burning fat. Perhaps I will try a 1/2 marathon by the end of the month. Great group!<br />

[old] rspenger

Post by [old] rspenger » October 19th, 2005, 3:53 pm

I have been impressed by the Ornish diet (or better, culinary lifestyle, since the term "diet" is often taken as something temporary), which recommends keeping polypeptide and triglyceride intakes down to a dull roar, in favor of polysaccharides. The recipes are a challenge, however, and we haven't really gotten into it very well.<br /><br />However, I have come up with a couple of alternatives that make it very easy for the cook:<br />1. The garnish diet, which consists solely of items like parsley and watercress.<br />2. The gar nichts diet. This is more generally known as fasting, but I haven't yet figured out what the counterpart - slowing - would be. Perhaps that is what happens to erg speeds of those who do the exact opposite of fasting.<br /><br />regards,<br /><br />Bob S.

[old] pantstootight

Post by [old] pantstootight » October 19th, 2005, 4:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+May 18 2005, 06:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ May 18 2005, 06:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Thanks to Specialt, we now have a virtual team for people who have taken up rowing in an effort to lose or maintain weight. I'm starting this new topic so that people coming into the forum section can find us easily.<br /><br />We're here to offer support and help each other achieve our goals. If you'd like to join the team, go to your online training log, choose Profile > Edit Profile and choose Row Pain, Row Gain from the pull down menu under the College/University Affiliation section.<br /><br />Feel free to introduce yourself, ask questions, share information about your latest workouts, etc.</span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey Guys,<br /><br />I'm new to the C2 and to rowing for fitness. I'm an athlete, or used to be one until I had three kids in two years (boy and twin girls). Though it's nearly 20 years since I played college football and 8 since I ran a marathon (not really running, but I finished), I remember what it feels like to be strong, buff and fast.<br /><br />So, I need to lose 20 lbs by Thanksgiving (maybe 30 eventually, but I'm starting with 20). I'm committed to rowing and altering my diet (i.e. I will cut down on bad carbs and too many sweets, but I will not give up red wine). I figured on rowing for 30 mins four times a week (with one day doing something else--biking, running, etc.). I'm in my second week and I'm up to 24 mins with the damper set at 4 and I'm pulling about 5,200 m.<br /><br />I've got a heart monitor so I'm all set up for gear.<br /><br />Any suggestions?<br /><br />You guys all seem to do an hour. Not sure I can commit to that with my schedule, but your inputs are very welcome.<br /><br />Neil

[old] bmoore

Post by [old] bmoore » October 19th, 2005, 4:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-pantstootight+Oct 19 2005, 04:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(pantstootight @ Oct 19 2005, 04:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey Guys,<br /><br />So, I need to lose 20 lbs by Thanksgiving (maybe 30 eventually, but I'm starting with 20). <br /><br />Any suggestions?<br /><br />Neil <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Neil,<br /><br />I made the commitment to lose the extra weight for the last time in April. I used the online program with Lindora.com and lost 30 pounds in 8 weeks. (8 pounds came off in the first week, and then it was steady loss). I can't recommend this program enough for anyone who is fed up with the extra baggage.<br /><br />Diet & exercise is the key combination to making this life change. The online support and weekly coaching calls they have will help you overcome the past. During the weightloss phase, daily exercise was the key.<br /><br />I've now changed back to an athlete. I'm lifting 4 times per week and am starting to get pretty fast on this Evil Rowing Gadget. I've since lost more fat, but have now added about 10 pounds of lean mass. My wife is loving the new physique.<br /><br />Take the plunge and get it over with for the last time. You can drink the wine when you're done.<br /><br />Regards,<br />

[old] Bostonwnb

Post by [old] Bostonwnb » October 19th, 2005, 4:31 pm

Hi there <br /><br />I'm new here although I have had a Model C for about 3 years now. Keep dragging it around from the garage to the patio, sometimes upstairs in one of the boys' rooms (when they are away at college). Right now, with the weather finally not dreadfully bad (as in summer) here in Houston, I've got it going again...<br /><br />My goal is to qualify for Boston (BQ as the hardcore runners will know). I'm doing plenty of running (average around 60 miles every 10 days) and will start to introduce some more strength & speed stuff as I get closer. D-day is Jan 15 2006. The running is going very well with a 20KM (12.5 miles) race last Sunday at just over 1hr 39 minutes, average pace 8:01. So far so good. To qualify for Boston at 53, I have to run a 3:35 marathon (8:12 pace). My last one was 3:49 (a year ago) and my best ever was 3:42 (15 years ago). So if I do make it, it will be close! A lot will depend upon whether I can stay healthy between now and then, the weather on the day etc.<br /><br />I do have some body weight issues though. Despite all the running I have not been able to get my weight quite where I want it to be. Hovering around 175, should be closer to 160 or so (I'm 178cm or about 5' 10") Just goes to show that you can exercise until you are blue in the face, but if your calorie intake exceeds what you burn, bingo - why is my belt so tight...<br /><br />I had previously (2004) dropped from 200 to 175 by cutting out junk food, candy, bacon and cheese burgers, ice cream and stuff like that. Also reduced portion sizes, started keeping a detailed food diary and reducing fat intake drastically. Worked fine but I have definitely reached a plateau.<br /><br />I can't really run more, as my calves are already feeling the strain - I have to massage and use a 'Stick' to keep them in one piece. <br /><br />So long story short, I hope that by adding an additional 30 minutes to an hour of erging here and there - maybe 3 to 5 times per week - I will be able to nudge the calorie deficit south, a little bit. <br /><br />Need to run to get some batteries for the Model C display unit (one of the crappy old-fashioned ones, maybe I can upgrade?) - so see you back here soon. <br /><br />Later.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Bert