Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] jimjayhawk

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » September 12th, 2005, 10:19 pm

Congratulations to Bill & Stuart for joining the 500K club! <br /><br />I had high hopes of doing 10k tonight... but yikes my legs and back said - no way... I slowly worked through some aches and made it to 7k before I'd had enough... hope I feel better tomorrow night... the fellow in front of me logged 10K today... I'll have a tough time catching him if I'm not feeling better and he keeps rowing on... <br /><br />Jim

[old] stuartg

Post by [old] stuartg » September 13th, 2005, 12:56 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+Sep 13 2005, 10:19 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ Sep 13 2005, 10:19 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Congratulations to Bill & Stuart for joining the 500K club! <br /><br />I had high hopes of doing 10k tonight... but yikes my legs and back said - no way... I slowly worked through some aches and made it to 7k before I'd had enough... hope I feel better tomorrow night... the fellow in front of me logged 10K today... I'll have a tough time catching him if I'm not feeling better and he keeps rowing on... <br /><br />Jim <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Jim, keep it up, with the way your've been rowing over the last month, you'll make up the difference pretty quickly.<br />Stu

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » September 14th, 2005, 1:22 pm

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>A big Congratulations to Jenny and Julie - both have made it to 300K!!!</span></span><br /><br /><b>Way to go you two!!!</b><br /><br /><br />I thought I heard oars splashing behind me....but I can't tell if it's giggling or groaning I hear, lol.

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » September 14th, 2005, 2:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RockinRobin+Sep 14 2005, 09:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RockinRobin @ Sep 14 2005, 09:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>A big Congratulations to Jenny and Julie - both have made it to 300K!!!</span></span><br /><br /><b>Way to go you two!!!</b><br /><br /><br />I thought I heard oars splashing behind me....but I can't tell if it's giggling or groaning I hear, lol. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think that splashing was me trying to heave myself out of the water and back into my boat...

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 14th, 2005, 2:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RockinRobin+Sep 14 2005, 10:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RockinRobin @ Sep 14 2005, 10:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>A big Congratulations to Jenny and Julie - both have made it to 300K!!!</span></span><br /><br /><b>Way to go you two!!!</b><br /><br /><br />I thought I heard oars splashing behind me....but I can't tell if it's giggling or groaning I hear, lol. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /> I concur! We've had several people break various landmarks, and a few on the verge of hitting that magical 1 Million Meter mark! Congrats to all! <br /><br />Z

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 14th, 2005, 2:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Sep 14 2005, 11:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Sep 14 2005, 11:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-RockinRobin+Sep 14 2005, 09:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RockinRobin @ Sep 14 2005, 09:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>A big Congratulations to Jenny and Julie - both have made it to 300K!!!</span></span><br /><br /><b>Way to go you two!!!</b><br /><br /><br />I thought I heard oars splashing behind me....but I can't tell if it's giggling or groaning I hear, lol. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think that splashing was me trying to heave myself out of the water and back into my boat... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />And a nice job of it you did as well! I know you were out because of your back - glad to see you back on your feet - (or back in the seat, as it were) again!<br /><br />Z<br />

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » September 14th, 2005, 2:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zot+Sep 14 2005, 10:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 14 2005, 10:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Sep 14 2005, 11:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Sep 14 2005, 11:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-RockinRobin+Sep 14 2005, 09:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RockinRobin @ Sep 14 2005, 09:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>A big Congratulations to Jenny and Julie - both have made it to 300K!!!</span></span><br /><br /><b>Way to go you two!!!</b><br /><br /><br />I thought I heard oars splashing behind me....but I can't tell if it's giggling or groaning I hear, lol. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think that splashing was me trying to heave myself out of the water and back into my boat... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />And a nice job of it you did as well! I know you were out because of your back - glad to see you back on your feet - (or back in the seat, as it were) again!<br /><br />Z <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Yes, I managed to get back in, but it's always slow going until up to speed again.<br />In this case, I am trying to take it easy and not get crazy. It just wouldn't do for me to hurt myself again.<br /><br />So, now that I'm up to 346K meters, anyone want to pick up the race to 350K again? I think I'd have a chance (unless one of the people just over 300K decides to do a full marathon, which would be just my luck...<grin>)<br />

[old] julieofarc

Post by [old] julieofarc » September 14th, 2005, 7:59 pm

Thanks Robin & Jason! How are you doing, Jason? <br /><br />Be forewarned, Jenny and I are in a pair now and fully intend to pass you both up in short order! (Always easier to pull when you're not alone in the boat.... You gotta watch out for us Oklahoma gals! (I'm in CO now, but claim OK as 'home'.) You probably heard giggling! We have a secret plans to breeze by ya! Not to worry, we'll wave, we promise! (If I hit my million meters by Thanksgiving, I'm gonna make myself sick and eat a WHOLE pecan pie! LOL) Racing to 350K sounds fine to me.... plan to be there by the end of the week anyhow. <br /><br />Okay Jenny, onwards we go! Up 2 in two...

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » September 14th, 2005, 10:29 pm

I just noticed that I just passed the 3,000,000 meter mark last night: that's a cumulative total since 2001, so I have done almost half that since May 1st. This team has been a great motivator!<br /><br />Thanks everyone!!<br /><br />I'm still not losing much weight but I'm having too much fun to stop rowing and eating. <br /><br />Mike

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » September 15th, 2005, 10:32 am

<!--QuoteBegin-julieofarc+Sep 14 2005, 03:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(julieofarc @ Sep 14 2005, 03:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks Robin & Jason!  How are you doing, Jason?  <br /><br />Be forewarned, Jenny and I are in a pair now and fully intend to pass you both up in short order!  (Always easier to pull when you're not alone in the boat....   You gotta watch out for us Oklahoma gals!  (I'm in CO now, but claim OK as 'home'.)  You probably heard giggling!    We have a secret plans to breeze by ya!  Not to worry, we'll wave, we promise! (If I hit my million meters by Thanksgiving, I'm gonna make myself sick and eat a WHOLE pecan pie!  LOL)  Racing to 350K sounds fine to me.... plan to be there by the end of the week anyhow.    <br /><br />Okay Jenny, onwards we go!  Up 2 in two... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />My lower back is still not quite there yet. Thanks for asking. I rowed 5000 meters a couple days ago and started feeling it part way through the row. I'm still feeling some discomfort so by no means will I be able to race you to 400K if you're planning on being at 350K by the end of this week.<br />Say hello (and goodbye) on your way past...<grin><br /><br />-jason<br />

[old] julieofarc

Post by [old] julieofarc » September 15th, 2005, 10:55 am

<!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Sep 15 2005, 07:32 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Sep 15 2005, 07:32 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Say hello (and goodbye) on your way past...<grin><br /><br />-jason <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You take it easy, then. Sorry we can't wait for ya! However, there's a group behind us that'll probably be game by the time you're at it again. Paddle on! <br /><br />Mike- wow! 3 million meters total is pretty awesome! Good job!<br /><br />Julie

[old] cnapier

Post by [old] cnapier » September 15th, 2005, 11:19 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Sep 14 2005, 09:29 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Sep 14 2005, 09:29 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I just noticed that I just passed the 3,000,000 meter mark last night: that's a cumulative total since 2001, so I have done almost half that since May 1st. This team has been a great motivator!<br /><br />Thanks everyone!!<br /><br />I'm still not losing much weight but I'm having too much fun to stop rowing and eating.  <br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations Mike,<br /><br />Been watching you gain on me while Mr. Pneumonia was visiting. It's taking a bit to ramp back up to full speed (well distance since I am old and slow...) but the weight started dropping again from day one upon my return to the allowed WW points.<br /><br />Keep up the good work, you keep me motivated snapping at my heals...<br /><br />Charles<br /><br />254/202/158

[old] Normsthename

Post by [old] Normsthename » September 15th, 2005, 12:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I just noticed that I just passed the 3,000,000 meter mark last night </td></tr></table><br />Well done Mike <br />Just another 2 million metres approx. to go, and you would have rowed across the Atlantic! <br /><br />Andy<br />

[old] bdvorak

Post by [old] bdvorak » September 15th, 2005, 1:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bdvorak+Sep 1 2005, 09:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bdvorak @ Sep 1 2005, 09:55 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+May 18 2005, 05:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ May 18 2005, 05:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Thanks to Specialt, we now have a virtual team for people who have taken up rowing in an effort to lose or maintain weight. I'm starting this new topic so that people coming into the forum section can find us easily.<br /><br />We're here to offer support and help each other achieve our goals. If you'd like to join the team, go to your online training log, choose Profile > Edit Profile and choose Row Pain, Row Gain from the pull down menu under the College/University Affiliation section.<br /><br />Feel free to introduce yourself, ask questions, share information about your latest workouts, etc.</span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I've been lurking since July and have waited until I hit the 500K mark to join in the team. I've been rowing consistently for 13 weeks, six days a week. Am now doing 40 minutes a day in the morning. I've had my rower for several years but it was mainly a clothes rack. Had been going to a fitness club for about two years but was only getting there 2-3 times a week. After reading countless articles on the need for daily exercise, I decided to give rowing a try again. Have worked up to daily 9K's in the 40 minute time frame. Hoping to get the distance to 10K's in 40 minutes but have been struggling to get my 500M times under 2:10 much less to hit 2:00. If I keep this pace and activity, should get my 1Meg by mid-November.<br /><br />The physical activity is part of an overall weight-loss, health improvement effort. I am 46 years old and weighed 285 in June. Am now at 275 and am constantly losing .5 lb a week. Working on tracking my calories now to increase the weight loss. <br /><br />Best thing so far is that I've felt no wear or tear on the body. I have a cranky knee and it has not bothered me at all. And my back feels much stronger. Not a morning person so waking up 45 minutes earlier has been the major pain point.<br /><br />Reading this forum has been very encouraging to me. <br /><br />Bill <br /> </td></tr></table><br />For those looking at the logbook and wondering where the daily 9K's that I thought I would be posting are, well sometimes life happens. Two days after adding my log to Row Pain Row Gain, I was admitted to the ER for internal bleeding. Spent nine days in the hospital and had to have a section of small intestine removed and 12 units of blood. Thankfully, this was not disease related and everything is fixed and will be fine.<br /><br />Unfortunately, my Doc says no rowing for at least 6-8 weeks and even then he thinks I will have a lot of fatigue and so it will be Christmas before I can expect to get back to my regular rate.<br /><br />I don't want to hold the group back by not logging time but don't know the scoring well enough to know whether it is better to pull my log or leave it posted.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bill

[old] blandings

Post by [old] blandings » September 15th, 2005, 3:48 pm

<br />[/quote]<br />For those looking at the logbook and wondering where the daily 9K's that I thought I would be posting are, well sometimes life happens. Two days after adding my log to Row Pain Row Gain, I was admitted to the ER for internal bleeding. Spent nine days in the hospital and had to have a section of small intestine removed and 12 units of blood. Thankfully, this was not disease related and everything is fixed and will be fine.<br /><br />Unfortunately, my Doc says no rowing for at least 6-8 weeks and even then he thinks I will have a lot of fatigue and so it will be Christmas before I can expect to get back to my regular rate.<br /><br />I don't want to hold the group back by not logging time but don't know the scoring well enough to know whether it is better to pull my log or leave it posted.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bill <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />Stay on the team Bill, we need you. It's total meters that count, not when you do them or how fast you are. Besides, your half a million meters gives those of us farther back something to aim for. Can we reach you before you start up again or are we still going to be watching you far ahead after Christmas? <br /><br />Keep us posted on the recovery.<br /><br />Alice<br /><br />PS. Hope everyone is a blood donor - never know when someone else will need some.