Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Kirk Jackson
Paddler
Posts: 2
Joined: July 29th, 2022, 9:10 am

Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Kirk Jackson » March 24th, 2024, 1:47 pm

Good Afternoon_

I am having trouble with my Polar H10 showing on the PM5 display!

I have already changed the battery and reset the HR monitor a few times. The ONLY way I can not connect it is to add it as a new device at which point it will work. When I row the next day and try to sync it will NOT work unless I re-add the device.

Thinking the is a software bug because it never happened until the latest SW was pushed....

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I find the HR monitor super helpful.

Have a great day

Kirk Jackson

p_b82
5k Poster
Posts: 522
Joined: August 8th, 2022, 1:24 pm
Location: South Somerset, UK

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by p_b82 » March 25th, 2024, 5:41 am

You might be better off reaching out to C2 support on this.

But How do you connect your H10; Bt or ant+?

my ergdata (android) mostly remembers my H10 on ant+; I've always got it on before I wake up the pm5 or ergdata.

after an ergdata update it forgets the first time, same with a PM5 update too
M 6'4 born:'82
PB's
'23: 6k=25:23.5, HM=1:36:08.0, 30'=7,077m, 60'=13,702m
'24: 500m=1:37.7, 2k=7:44.80, 5k=20:42.9, 10k=42:13.1, FM=3:18:35.4
Logbook

Kirk Jackson
Paddler
Posts: 2
Joined: July 29th, 2022, 9:10 am

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Kirk Jackson » March 25th, 2024, 8:02 am

Apologies I am using BlueTooth to connect!

Thanks & Aloha

Kirk Jackson

Joebasscat
2k Poster
Posts: 226
Joined: February 14th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Joebasscat » March 25th, 2024, 8:30 am

Last few days mine has not connected on its own. Had to use the connect function. No big deal, but it’s different.
65 5’-11” 72.5 kg

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 4055
Joined: March 18th, 2006, 3:44 am
Location: Trentino Italy

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by jamesg » March 25th, 2024, 11:03 am

Years ago I read that PMs don't memorize belt names so have to be connected if there's no data stick; and that this has to be low capacity if not obsolete today.

I used an old 256MB stick for update before ergdata did that, no problem. However left in the slot could be it drains batteries all too soon, so I've never left it there.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg. Last seen MHR 140.
2024: stroke 6 W-min @ 20-21. No times yet, now using WODs.

Me, Myself and I
Paddler
Posts: 22
Joined: October 22nd, 2021, 4:34 pm

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Me, Myself and I » March 25th, 2024, 3:47 pm

Joebasscat wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:30 am
Last few days mine has not connected on its own. Had to use the connect function. No big deal, but it’s different.
Kirk Jackson wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 1:47 pm
Thinking the is a software bug because it never happened until the latest SW was pushed....
Same here. Has to be a software bug. Since the latest iOS update, PM5 is not remembering my Polar Verity Sense. Have to reconnect each time.
67, 175cm, 65kg.

User avatar
Carl Watts
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4635
Joined: January 8th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: NEW ZEALAND

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Carl Watts » March 25th, 2024, 6:05 pm

Go ANT+, personally I use Bluetooth as a last resort.
Carl Watts.
Age:56 Weight: 108kg Height:183cm
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Tsnor
10k Poster
Posts: 1131
Joined: November 18th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Tsnor » March 25th, 2024, 6:57 pm

PM5 does not remember belt. Ergdata does. Once Ergata connects to the PM5 your belt gets connected.

1. Verify connection to ergdata. Pull handle, see ergdata start just row session. End 'just row' with menu button, see ergdata recognize end of 'just row'
2. IF HR not connected Goto Connect menu on PM5. Verify Ergdata connected on PM5 connect screen. Press Connect HR monitor. WAIT for PM5 to find belt. For Polar H10 both ANT+ and Bluetooth will appear eventually. I have better results with ANT+, but both work. Connect belt using PM5 controls while connected to Ergdata. Old Ergdata used to ask if you wanted the belt remembered. Not sure the new Ergata needs anything other than seeing your belt connect to the PM5 while ergdata is already connected.

IF PM5 still can't see your HR monitor MAKE SURE that the H10 is not connected to some other AP (say polar beat). Bluetooth is a one-one connection, so if H10 is already connected somewhere else then it cannot connect to PM5. By default only a single bluetooth radio is enabled on the H10. With polar beat you can enable the second radio and have two active bluetooth connections. ANT+ is easier - its a one to many broadcast so does not care if the H10 is connected somewhere else.

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2846
Joined: January 13th, 2022, 10:49 am

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Sakly » March 26th, 2024, 1:55 am

Tsnor wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:57 pm
Not sure the new Ergata needs anything other than seeing your belt connect to the PM5 while ergdata is already connected.
It will show a message that a new HR monitor was found and asks if it shall remember this monitor for future use.

Very well explained, as usual 👍🏻
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 355m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:15.3
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

Joebasscat
2k Poster
Posts: 226
Joined: February 14th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Joebasscat » March 26th, 2024, 10:31 am

Sakly wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 1:55 am
Tsnor wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:57 pm
Not sure the new Ergata needs anything other than seeing your belt connect to the PM5 while ergdata is already connected.
It will show a message that a new HR monitor was found and asks if it shall remember this monitor for future use.

Very well explained, as usual 👍🏻
Respectfully guys that’s not the issue. What you and Tsnor have said is true. As I earlier stated what was an automatic process has stopped being so. No problem with manually connecting to the PM5 and THEN ErgData is recognizing the belt and all is good. No message about a new HR monitor was found etc.. It was doing that as you have outlined and it just stopped. Maybe today it just starts behaving just like it just stopped , who knows. I switch between two different HR devices based on location so I have seen the process of recognizing the new device many times. It just quit doing that automatically. No problem manually connecting.
65 5’-11” 72.5 kg

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2846
Joined: January 13th, 2022, 10:49 am

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Sakly » March 26th, 2024, 12:50 pm

Joebasscat wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:31 am
Sakly wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 1:55 am
Tsnor wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:57 pm
Not sure the new Ergata needs anything other than seeing your belt connect to the PM5 while ergdata is already connected.
It will show a message that a new HR monitor was found and asks if it shall remember this monitor for future use.

Very well explained, as usual 👍🏻
Respectfully guys that’s not the issue. What you and Tsnor have said is true. As I earlier stated what was an automatic process has stopped being so. No problem with manually connecting to the PM5 and THEN ErgData is recognizing the belt and all is good. No message about a new HR monitor was found etc.. It was doing that as you have outlined and it just stopped. Maybe today it just starts behaving just like it just stopped , who knows. I switch between two different HR devices based on location so I have seen the process of recognizing the new device many times. It just quit doing that automatically. No problem manually connecting.
Probably we are not talking about the same, as I use an Android device and the problem seems to occur on an iOS device. I am using two different devices on 3 different PM5 with the same belt. All combinations work as expected with remembering the belt and have the latest ergdata version (but not latest PM5 version).
So obviously this bug was introduced only in iOS version of ergdata.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 355m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:15.3
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

Joebasscat
2k Poster
Posts: 226
Joined: February 14th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Joebasscat » March 26th, 2024, 1:29 pm

Sakly wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 12:50 pm
Joebasscat wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:31 am
Sakly wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 1:55 am


It will show a message that a new HR monitor was found and asks if it shall remember this monitor for future use.

Very well explained, as usual 👍🏻
Respectfully guys that’s not the issue. What you and Tsnor have said is true. As I earlier stated what was an automatic process has stopped being so. No problem with manually connecting to the PM5 and THEN ErgData is recognizing the belt and all is good. No message about a new HR monitor was found etc.. It was doing that as you have outlined and it just stopped. Maybe today it just starts behaving just like it just stopped , who knows. I switch between two different HR devices based on location so I have seen the process of recognizing the new device many times. It just quit doing that automatically. No problem manually connecting.
Probably we are not talking about the same, as I use an Android device and the problem seems to occur on an iOS device. I am using two different devices on 3 different PM5 with the same belt. All combinations work as expected with remembering the belt and have the latest ergdata version (but not latest PM5 version).
So obviously this bug was introduced only in iOS version of ergdata.
Yes, mine is an IOS device.
65 5’-11” 72.5 kg

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2846
Joined: January 13th, 2022, 10:49 am

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Sakly » March 26th, 2024, 2:08 pm

Joebasscat wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 1:29 pm
Sakly wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 12:50 pm
Joebasscat wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:31 am


Respectfully guys that’s not the issue. What you and Tsnor have said is true. As I earlier stated what was an automatic process has stopped being so. No problem with manually connecting to the PM5 and THEN ErgData is recognizing the belt and all is good. No message about a new HR monitor was found etc.. It was doing that as you have outlined and it just stopped. Maybe today it just starts behaving just like it just stopped , who knows. I switch between two different HR devices based on location so I have seen the process of recognizing the new device many times. It just quit doing that automatically. No problem manually connecting.
Probably we are not talking about the same, as I use an Android device and the problem seems to occur on an iOS device. I am using two different devices on 3 different PM5 with the same belt. All combinations work as expected with remembering the belt and have the latest ergdata version (but not latest PM5 version).
So obviously this bug was introduced only in iOS version of ergdata.
Yes, mine is an IOS device.
Then it's very likely it was only introduced there. It wouldn't be the first time, that an issue was found only in one of both ergdata releases 😄
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 355m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:15.3
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

Joebasscat
2k Poster
Posts: 226
Joined: February 14th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Joebasscat » March 26th, 2024, 6:32 pm

Tsnor wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:57 pm
PM5 does not remember belt. Ergdata does. Once Ergata connects to the PM5 your belt gets connected.

1. Verify connection to ergdata. Pull handle, see ergdata start just row session. End 'just row' with menu button, see ergdata recognize end of 'just row'
2. IF HR not connected Goto Connect menu on PM5. Verify Ergdata connected on PM5 connect screen. Press Connect HR monitor. WAIT for PM5 to find belt. For Polar H10 both ANT+ and Bluetooth will appear eventually. I have better results with ANT+, but both work. Connect belt using PM5 controls while connected to Ergdata. Old Ergdata used to ask if you wanted the belt remembered. Not sure the new Ergata needs anything other than seeing your belt connect to the PM5 while ergdata is already connected.

IF PM5 still can't see your HR monitor MAKE SURE that the H10 is not connected to some other AP (say polar beat). Bluetooth is a one-one connection, so if H10 is already connected somewhere else then it cannot connect to PM5. By default only a single bluetooth radio is enabled on the H10. With polar beat you can enable the second radio and have two active bluetooth connections. ANT+ is easier - its a one to many broadcast so does not care if the H10 is connected somewhere else.
Tsnor - you say the PM5 doesn’t remember the belt. With ErgData running I would always see the heart icon show on the PM5 without prompting it thru the connect menu. Then ErgData would display HR connection following. Not disputing what you say, just curious.
65 5’-11” 72.5 kg

Me, Myself and I
Paddler
Posts: 22
Joined: October 22nd, 2021, 4:34 pm

Re: Polar H10 Trouble Connecting

Post by Me, Myself and I » March 26th, 2024, 10:30 pm

Joebasscat wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 6:32 pm
Tsnor - you say the PM5 doesn’t remember the belt. With ErgData running I would always see the heart icon show on the PM5 without prompting it thru the connect menu. Then ErgData would display HR connection following. Not disputing what you say, just curious.
Agree. I have the PM5 automatically connect when I start it up. Very quickly after that the heart symbol turns red. That has not happened since this issue appeared. Have to manually connect HR monitor. Then start PolarBeat followed by ErgData and have no problems with HR.
67, 175cm, 65kg.

Post Reply