In search of PM monitor

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
martymartymarty
Paddler

In search of PM monitor

Post by martymartymarty » January 13th, 2024, 2:22 am

Anyone have a PM monitor to sale? I bought a used concept 2 recently with a PM5. Attempted to update the firmware after getting some intermittent errors but it seems to have bricked the console, so now I need a replacement. Though it would be nice, a new PM5 is out of my current budget.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: In search of PM monitor

Post by Citroen » January 13th, 2024, 4:25 am

If you're in the UK or EU you should talk to Concept2 there's a statutory two year warranty on any piece of electronics - that may cover you for a replacement PM5.

martymartymarty
Paddler

Post by martymartymarty » January 13th, 2024, 6:52 am

I'm in the US. Was on Firmware v22 updating to v37. The sticker on the monitor implies it is from 2015. v22 was released in 2016 so I'm certain this is well past any warranty.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » January 13th, 2024, 5:19 pm

Have you tried a full factory reset on it ?

Pretty hard to brick a PM5 unless it has a hardware fault.

Have you downloaded the latest C2 utility ? Best to use a fully charged windows laptop plugged into power and a USB printer cable to do the update.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

martymartymarty
Paddler

Post by martymartymarty » January 13th, 2024, 5:56 pm

Carl Watts wrote:
January 13th, 2024, 5:19 pm
Have you tried a full factory reset on it ?

Pretty hard to brick a PM5 unless it has a hardware fault.

Have you downloaded the latest C2 utility ? Best to use a fully charged windows laptop plugged into power and a USB printer cable to do the update.
I tried to do a full factory reset but I can't get it to because it seems to be stuck in update mode. Units+Display/+Reset doesn't override and trying to do a Factory Reset in the C2 Utility, it quickly exits back to another menu and doesn't seem to do anything on the monitor.

It is forever stuck in "Concept2 USB Flash Loader" mode. When I do a Full firmware load, it gets to 50%. The PM5 states "Bundle Update Pass ..." before turning off and disconnecting. At this point the LED light on the back of the PM5 flashes red.'"

When I reset it, it starts off with "Update in Progress ... " and within a few seconds gets back to "Bundle Update Pass ..." and shuts off again.

I am using a fully charged windows laptop plugged into power and a USB-B (printer type cable).

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » January 13th, 2024, 8:11 pm

I have had one like that so far, the problem is the Flash memory has probably failed.

It gets to exactly 50% and just freezes. I have not bothered to replace the Flash as it was a 1st gen PM5 from 2016.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

markman
500m Poster

Post by markman » January 17th, 2024, 2:58 pm

I have a PM3 from 2010 that is still working fine. I upgraded to a PM5 a few years ago. If you're interested, let me know and I'm sure we can figure something out.
59 M 6' 1" 165#
Concept2 Model D w/PM5 Upgrade