PM5 and ErgData Losing Connection

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
bonafide
Paddler

PM5 and ErgData Losing Connection

Post by bonafide » March 19th, 2023, 5:16 pm

The first few times I used ErgData it worked great. However, the last several times I've tried to use it, I am able to connect PM5 and ErgData. Shortly after starting my workout, ErgData app stops displaying updated data on the screen. The clock, distance and all other data just stop updating on ErgData, while the PM5 continues tracking my workout. It appears like the devices are still connected, but the connection is not working.

After this occurs, the PM5 is in a weird state. When I tell the PM5 to Disconnect App, it appears to disconnect. But, when I select Enable App Connection, the PM5 appears to "Connect" to an App, even when I don't have one running. This happens even when my phone is turned off. I have to pull batteries from PM5 to reset it to get it to return to normal operations. Here is a video that shows the PM5 in this state:
https://youtube.com/shorts/7_bW61DD11U

I have a PM5 on FW 256, HW version 300 that I have owned for about a month.
I am using ErgData App v2.1.0 on an Android Samsung Galaxy S21 SM-G991U with Android 13.

I have tried eliminating all other potential BT, BLE and ANT+ devices from my surroundings. I have ensured that ErgData is not being optimized by Android (not sleeping) ... and it is already in the foreground when it stops updating data.

Any ideas what is causing ErgData to stop communicating with the PM5? Even though this looks like an ErgData issue, the weird state that the PM5 enters is making me wonder if I have a defective PM5.

Thanks everyone!

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: PM5 and ErgData Losing Connection

Post by Citroen » March 20th, 2023, 8:52 am

bonafide wrote:
March 19th, 2023, 5:16 pm
I am using ErgData App v2.1.0 on an Android Samsung Galaxy S21 SM-G991U with Android 13.
Update your Ergdata to the 16th March version.

konsumschaf
Paddler

Post by konsumschaf » March 21st, 2023, 6:00 pm

I had exactly the same issue with my PM5 and ErgData (as well with ErgZone). I contacted the concep2 support about it, and they told my that this is a known issue with the "force curve" display. As long as you do not use the "force curve" things should work just fine. They are working on an update, but for now all you can do is to use the other displays.

bonafide
Paddler

Post by bonafide » March 22nd, 2023, 10:31 am

Concept2 support also suggested that I change off the Force Curve display on the PM5. I tried this last night, going back to one of the basic displays, and I completed a workout without any issues. I'm using v. 2.1.0 of ERGData on Android, which appears to be a Feb 14, 2023 version. I don't have a March 16th update available yet, so I cannot confirm there is are any updates available that fix this yet.

If you run into the problem, switch to a different display as @konsumschaf suggested.

Thanks everyone!

Willy.VdW
1k Poster

Post by Willy.VdW » March 23rd, 2023, 2:50 am

Yesterday, connection got interrupted, no force curve used.
Not yet updated. I can't remember Ergdata notifying me of an update...

mrfrostee
Paddler

Post by mrfrostee » March 28th, 2023, 11:52 am

I am apparently having the same issue.

This is with ErgData App v2.1.1 on an Android, and the latest PM5 firmware (172) for my hardware model. I am not using the Force Curve display.

seeN
Paddler

Post by seeN » March 31st, 2023, 2:58 pm

I have the exact same Problem. At some point during a workout the ErgData App metrics freeze and the App does not react when trying to quit the workout (Android) while PM5 still works but also the Connection from PM5 to my new Garmin HRM Pro Plus gets lost and I experience the awkward "still connected / reconnected l" bug that PM5 shows a successful connection to the app even if the app is force closed..

I have a brand new C2, latest versions on PM5 and ErgData and this makes me pretty angry..

I also need to confirm that this happens even if I dont show the curve dispplay on pm5 like mentioned above...

eeperman
Paddler

Post by eeperman » June 8th, 2023, 4:48 am

I'm having similar issues. Updated my PM5 to firmware 173 and reinstalled Ergdata on my iPhone. I can connect to the PM5 - the display shows app connected, but when I try to send a workout to the PM5 nothing happens. I don't get a tick next to the RowErg on the phone, just a spinning circle.

greis
Paddler

Post by greis » June 8th, 2023, 9:14 am

eeperman wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 4:48 am
I'm having similar issues. Updated my PM5 to firmware 173 and reinstalled Ergdata on my iPhone. I can connect to the PM5 - the display shows app connected, but when I try to send a workout to the PM5 nothing happens. I don't get a tick next to the RowErg on the phone, just a spinning circle.
Try restarting your phone and also removing the PM5 battery for at least 5 minutes until it resets the clock.