Purchasing a used Concept 2

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
OldPirate
Paddler

Purchasing a used Concept 2

Post by OldPirate » March 31st, 2021, 4:37 pm

I am ready to purchase a Concept 2 and could use some advice about buying a used unit. How many meters is a lot and would suggest excessive wear? What other criteria should I consider when examing a unit?

MPx
5k Poster

Re: Purchasing a used Concept 2

Post by MPx » March 31st, 2021, 7:04 pm

They can do many millions of meters and it will be hard to tell. While the PM can display "lifetime meters", this figure can be reset so is not reliable.

Model A and B machines may well still be functional and acceptable to get you fit. But IMO if you want to really take part in the community then you need to go for a Model C,D or E with a PM 3, 4 or 5. There are some machines that had issues (eg early Model Ds - most fixed under warranty) but everything is fixable and all parts available from C2. The most likely poor condition machines will have been ex-commercial or long term stored in a damp garage or shed. Unless cost is absolutely the overriding concern, then walk away from those. Many machines are purchased for a New Years resolution and become a clothes horse within a couple of months and on the market a year later with 100k meters on them. Find one of those for more than £200 off list and you have a bargain. Good luck with the search.
Mike - 63 HWT 183

OldPirate
Paddler

Post by OldPirate » March 31st, 2021, 7:19 pm

thank you

ampire
2k Poster

Post by ampire » April 1st, 2021, 9:45 am

Examine how smooth the flywheel spins up and spins down, you don't want a lot of vibration, and how effectively the flywheel clutch grabs. Check the mileage. Look at the types of workouts done in the memory. Lots of sprints are probably harder on the unit than long distance at low watts.
M35|5'8"/173CM|148lb/68KG|LWT|MHR 192|RHR 42|2020: 5K 18:52.9 (@1:53.2/500)|C2-D+Slides+EndureRow Seat

Rick
Paddler

Post by Rick » April 7th, 2021, 4:52 pm

Having looked at the insanely high prices of a used Model D online, I’d strongly suggest hopping on the wait list and buying new. As far as pro level workout equipment goes, the price/value balance is amazing. And with a new unit and warranty, condition and the unknowns of use and maintenance (or lack of) are eliminated.

This was my decision a while back, and I have zero regrets. Besides, I like C2 as a company, as I had done business with them prior on purchasing fitness gear for my officers when I was a police chief (now retired). So supporting them through new purchase was an added plus for me personally.

Just throwing the thought out there for you. :D
C2 Padawan