Counterfeit ads for Concept2 rowers

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
rowland
500m Poster

Counterfeit ads for Concept2 rowers

Post by rowland » March 18th, 2021, 3:32 pm

a friend of mine was looking into buying a concept 2 rower, she ask me to help her since I have one. So a few weeks ago I started to do some research for her. I found out there is a 6 -7 week wait for a new c2 rower at the factory, I also read the warning C2 has put out warning buyers about counterfeits rowers.

I also looked for rowers on ebay craigs etc to get a feel for what is available in the used market and prices.

my first red flag was a ebay seller out of Florida with zero feedback who had 5 brand new c2 model D in sealed boxes for $599.00 each, I called ebay customer service to do a check on the buyer, and said the rowers were probably fake. Ebay advised me not to purchase and shortly later the listing was deleted.

I then checked the San Francisco bay area craigs list, , There were numerous Brand new c2 rowers in sealed boxes for sale.
I replied to a # of these listing and asked them to give me the serial # of the rower they were selling and I was going to call the c2factory. They either stop communicating with me or came up with a excuse why they could not open the box.
I then checked out the boston area craigs list , the same thing plenty of rowers and those who replied back would not give me a serial #.
I spent some time on this project. these are all fake c2 rowers.
Concept2 is aware of the problem but I don't think they know how bad it really is.
I posted my own ad in craigs list warning buyers not too buy.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/spo/d/ ... 16720.html
I have no love for these scammers, cheats, crooks.
I have flagged a number of these listing trying to get them removed, I also wrote to craigs list directly, asking them to remove them.
these listing will not be removed unless the listing get a # of flags. you are welcome to go to craigs and if you find one of these counterfeit rowers for sale Flag it, if enough people do it they removed.

Ernits
500m Poster

Re: counterfeit Concept2 rowers

Post by Ernits » March 18th, 2021, 3:34 pm

A great deal is a giveaway for a scam. C2 doesn't do sales. Anyone selling new C2 rowergs for below C2-s price would be selling at a loss.

rowland
500m Poster

Re: counterfeit Concept2 rowers

Post by rowland » March 19th, 2021, 8:17 am

yes some of these counterfeit rowers are sold at a discount. here is an example of a listing on ebay i just found, this seller has 6 rowers for sale at $799 notice the seller has zero seller feedback. but most of the craigs list sellers are selling them for $1150 and up.
-------
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ 124642371365 Mod edit: URL deliberately knackered.
edited update
shortly after posting this to the forum all 6 of these rowers were sold!!!! that is a big problem.
----------
I send a message to this craigs list ad yesterday telling the seller I had the cash $1150 and was ready to buy. I asked the seller for the serial # and the copy of the receipt, the seller never replied back to me,
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hab/d/ ... 8283.html.
-----
has anyone seen one of these fake rowers in person or rowed on one. Can you tell instantly they are not real. Probably the monitor would be the easiest difference to spot. but the monitor could be replaced with a genuine pm5 monitor or a pm4 or pm3, Then could you tell.
I would like to see concept2 or some independent person do a comparison side by side review. Fake vs genuine, That review or possible you tube video would be a big help for consumers.

These counterfeit rowers are not going away and will eventually end up on the used market. A lot of buyers are going to be disappointed and be cheated out of their money. Concept 2 could be overwhelmed with complaints by these unknowing buyers.

Counterfeit products are a huge problem for companies.
Google 3m fake n95 masks, millions of counterfeit fake n95 masks were sold. Even hospitals were buying fake masks,
I am personal aware of 2 small USA tool companies that were overwhelmed with counterfeit products. It hurt both companies badly and almost put one of those companies out of business.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Counterfeit ads for Concept2 rowers

Post by Citroen » March 19th, 2021, 8:28 am

Please use the term "counterfeit adverts" not "counterfeit rowers". The product is genuine, the way it's being scammed isn't

rowland
500m Poster

Post by rowland » March 19th, 2021, 8:58 am

Here is the ebay link, i hope this works
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ Black-Conce ... 642371365?
Mod edit: deliberately knackered the URL again.

rowland
500m Poster

Post by rowland » March 19th, 2021, 9:29 am

Citroen
I was not sure what knackered meant so I reposted the link
if I may politely ask why are you deleting the ebay link I am posting.
these sellers are selling cheap copies of concept2 rowers using pictures of genuine concepts rowers in the pictures, you don't see a problem with this?
please advise. I am breaking some forum rule

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 19th, 2021, 12:32 pm

You keep posting a link to a SCAMMER from a site owned and run by Concept2. That is unacceptable because it appears that C2 are endorsing your scammer.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... /knackered