Model B mounting of the pick up wire

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
remko0708
Paddler

Model B mounting of the pick up wire

Post by remko0708 » September 1st, 2020, 7:09 am

Dear all, just picked up a second hand model B. However, the previous owner had removed the PM1 and the pick up wire, as the monitor did not work. I got some reference from Concept2 for replacing the pick up wire, however, as the wire is removed, the drawings don't make much sense to me...is it possible for anyone to show me in a photo how this wire with the pick up on/near the flywheel should be mounted? A real life picture would help a lot. Thanks in advance. Remko

2wheelsforever
Paddler

Re: Model B mounting of the pick up wire

Post by 2wheelsforever » September 1st, 2020, 12:58 pm

Do these pictures help?

remko0708
Paddler

Post by remko0708 » September 1st, 2020, 1:22 pm

Hi 2wheelsforever, thank you for taking the time to help me! I'm especially interested in where the pick up is mounted in the area of the fly wheel. So I attached a link to a picture. It is the rectangular part.

https://images.app.goo.gl/KYmuak3mPYnDJQCU8

Thanks in advance!

Remko

2wheelsforever
Paddler

Post by 2wheelsforever » September 1st, 2020, 1:34 pm

This image shows the small screw that goes through the black round metal disc that's next to the cage, into the pickup:

Here's another angle:

And here's the top view in case that's helpful:

remko0708
Paddler

Post by remko0708 » September 1st, 2020, 2:32 pm

2wheelsforever, this helps a lot! I now understand how it works. Only, I don't seem to have the black round metal disc. So that's a new problem then...any thoughts on this?

2wheelsforever
Paddler

Post by 2wheelsforever » September 1st, 2020, 2:54 pm

I would contact C2 to see if that's a replacement part they still offer. If not, maybe they can provide specs for you to make a replacement.

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » September 1st, 2020, 7:36 pm

Could you post a couple more pics of the machine? What I can see in the photo makes me think this is not a Concept2 product. JonW
72 year old grandpa living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee 1980-2018! and what a long, strange trip it's been......

remko0708
Paddler

Post by remko0708 » September 2nd, 2020, 1:38 am

Dear JonW, that would be bad news! Are there any specific details I should include in the pictures? Thanks for your help. Remko

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » September 2nd, 2020, 7:46 am

Remko- A couple overall pics should be enough. Side view, front, and angle shots. The pic you posted shows one sprocket- the Model B has two. And the configuration of the wire cage and hub isn't right. Any chance of contacting the previous owner to find out how the monitor and pickup were assembled?

remko0708
Paddler

Post by remko0708 » September 2nd, 2020, 8:39 am

These are the ones I had available. The machine does have two sprockets though. One was not visible on the picture I sent.

Note that the previous owner's father bought this machine in 1992. He is absolutely conclusive on that this is a Concept2 machine. He stated that the stickers were falling off so he removed these as like the PM1.

Final remark, I'm from the Netherlands, Europe. Maybe this matters in terms of production?

Hope this helps.

Thanks JonW!

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » September 2nd, 2020, 3:28 pm

Remco- Do you have any idea where it was originally purchased? It's clearly not a C2- many of the components look like a Concept2, and the overall first glance is convincing. I recall we had issues of people ordering parts, particularly flywheels, in quantities that were somewhat suspicious. The flywheel and electronics were the main components that could not be easily manufactured on a small scale- most everything else could be reverse engineered and manufactured. C2 tightened up their sales policy after some of these unauthorized copies showed up on the market.

In any case, if it's a C2 flywheel it should have the three magnets imbedded in the flywheel and someplace to attach the pickup such that the magnets pass by the end of the pickup with about 3-4 mm (1/10 of an inch) of clearance. This should result in an appropriate signal for the monitor to read. Does the monitor even come on?

remko0708
Paddler

Post by remko0708 » September 3rd, 2020, 2:59 am

JonW, I guess the magnets are not visible, correct? I tested using a magnet and rotating the flywheel on different area's to see if there would be any traction. Unfortunately, my test magnet did not move. Also there is no place to attach the pickup (could be that the black disc was removed). As said, the previous owner states that there was a PM1 mounted but he removed it. I don't have a PM because I wanted to make sure it would fit on...If there is a way to be absolutely sure there are no magnets in the flywheel, please let me know!

It is really a pitty to have to conclude I picked up fake Model B...

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » September 3rd, 2020, 7:53 am

Remko,

If the magnets were installed they are visible but are small- .100" in diameter and are mounted flush with the flat side of the flywheel. There are three of them equally spaced about 2" from the center of the flywheel. You can just see one of them in 2wheelsforevers pic that is showing the screw head- just below the end of the pickup. Without the disc or some other mounting means you might be out of luck, unless the original owner can shed some light on how the monitor worked. If a monitor can't be set up, I'd suggest getting a heart rate monitor and use that to gauge your effort. Have you rowed the machine? Does it run smoothly?

remko0708
Paddler

Post by remko0708 » September 3rd, 2020, 8:38 am

JonW, thanks for the explanation. I checked again and there are no visible magnets. I will return to the seller for additional inquiry on the PM1 that was supposedly mounted on this machine.

On other thing I noted was that on the other side of the fly wheel (damper side) there is one part where there are 6 small holes drilled out. All within one 'pizza slice' of the flywheel.

I have rowed on it every other day now and it rows very well. Only I would like to measure my progress. Have to look for another way for this...

Again I appreciate your help!

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » September 3rd, 2020, 9:10 am

I don't know what the part with the holes is all about. Maybe they had another method of mounting the sensor and some magnets on the other side. Good luck with it.....Jon