How long should a PM5 take to turn off?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
GreggMack54
Paddler

How long should a PM5 take to turn off?

Post by GreggMack54 » March 27th, 2019, 6:03 pm

I have a new rower with a new PM5 monitor. I updated the firmware to v166, and I have a USB flash drive setup, and ErgData on my iPad. Everything is working exactly as expected, except that after I complete a workout, the PM5 doesn’t “power down” for at least 30 minutes, and often for multiple hours. I have tried both leaving the USB flash drive inserted as well as removing it. I am unable to locate any user changeable settings that could control this. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong, or what I should try next?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: How long should a PM5 take to turn off?

Post by Citroen » March 27th, 2019, 7:22 pm

If you've got a USB connection (where the other end provides power) it will never turn off.

Normally it's got a 4 minute timeout (if you're running a workout) or 2 minutes if you're sitting on a menu.
Any press of the [UNITS], [DISPLAY] or [BACK] buttons will reset any timer.

If you want to force a poweroff press [BACK] four times.

GreggMack54
Paddler

Post by GreggMack54 » March 27th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Citroen,

Well, thank you so much!
My USB flash drive definitely does not provide power (it is a USB Device, not a Master).
But your suggestion to press [MENU] for times worked perfectly.
Thanks!
Gregg

Allan Olesen
5k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » March 28th, 2019, 4:01 am

Can ErgData keep the PM5 alive through a wireless connection?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 28th, 2019, 6:19 am

No

mickyduck
500m Poster

Post by mickyduck » March 28th, 2019, 6:38 am

If I have ergdata connected the PM5 stays on even if not rowing.. when I close ergdata PM5 powers down

GreggMack54
Paddler

Post by GreggMack54 » March 28th, 2019, 11:55 am

mickyduck,

That very well might be the case for me as well. I will test that out after my workout tomorrow morning. I haven't been closing the ErgData app on my iPad when I finish my rowing workout and move over to my recumbent bike.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 28th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Citroen wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 6:19 am
No
It shouldn't stay alive if it's not in "rowing" mode, on a menu the 2 minute timeout should kick in.

Perhaps, I've never seen it because I get to the gym, turn on bluetooth on the phone, turn on the monitor and BT from the menu, start ergdata, then connect PM5 to phone.

When I'm done, I turn off bluetooth on the PM5, exit Ergdata then turn off bluetooth on the phone (I don't need it on my bicycle - calls can wait) and head home.

GreggMack54
Paddler

Post by GreggMack54 » March 29th, 2019, 11:15 am

OK, so there is something to the wireless connection to the ErgData app on my iPad that prevents the PM5 from turning off (at least on my new unit).
When I completed this morning's workout on the rower, I waited more then 6 seconds (while I removed my gloves, took off my Garmin HRM, and took a drink of water) and then I pushed the [Menu] button on the PM5. It transferred the workout data to the USB flash drive.

I then went to my iPad, into the ErgData app, and Synced the workout data to my Logbook. I waited about 4 or 5 minutes, and the PM5 did not turn off. I went back to my iPad, double-clicked the Home button, and "flicked the ErgData app off the screen", which I believe actually force-closes the app. I then took the iPad out of the room, and left it about 35 feet away from the PM5, and then went back into the room with my exercise equipment, and began my workout on my recumbent bike - and kept an eye on the PM5. About 3 or 4 minutes later, the PM5 turned off.

After I sync the ErgData workout data to the Logbook (transfers it to somewhere in the Cloud), I am perfectly fine with either pressing the [Menu] button 4 times to shut the PM5 off, or by force-closing the ErgData app on my iPad and letting the PM5 turn itself off after a few minutes. It doesn't matter to me. Either method solves my problem, and I thank you guys for your help!

Tenshuu
2k Poster

Post by Tenshuu » March 29th, 2019, 1:15 pm

GreggMack54 wrote:
March 29th, 2019, 11:15 am
OK, so there is something to the wireless connection to the ErgData app on my iPad that prevents the PM5 from turning off (at least on my new unit).
When I completed this morning's workout on the rower, I waited more then 6 seconds (while I removed my gloves, took off my Garmin HRM, and took a drink of water) and then I pushed the [Menu] button on the PM5. It transferred the workout data to the USB flash drive.

I then went to my iPad, into the ErgData app, and Synced the workout data to my Logbook. I waited about 4 or 5 minutes, and the PM5 did not turn off. I went back to my iPad, double-clicked the Home button, and "flicked the ErgData app off the screen", which I believe actually force-closes the app. I then took the iPad out of the room, and left it about 35 feet away from the PM5, and then went back into the room with my exercise equipment, and began my workout on my recumbent bike - and kept an eye on the PM5. About 3 or 4 minutes later, the PM5 turned off.

After I sync the ErgData workout data to the Logbook (transfers it to somewhere in the Cloud), I am perfectly fine with either pressing the [Menu] button 4 times to shut the PM5 off, or by force-closing the ErgData app on my iPad and letting the PM5 turn itself off after a few minutes. It doesn't matter to me. Either method solves my problem, and I thank you guys for your help!
My Heart Rate monitor will actually keep the PM5 alive when I'm off of the machine... I think I'll see if I can get a rough time estimate of how long it takes for it to shut off - if it even does. Normally after my workout I sync up my erg data, close the app, flip up my monitor, and linger around on my phone for a while. I notice the light flashing on the back of the monitor still until I turn my HRM off.