Need Help For My Model B

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
unclefester
Paddler

Need Help For My Model B

Post by unclefester » April 7th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Hi everyone...I'm brand spanking new here...been lurking for a while!

I have a model B and my major problem is my seat is just not tight and smooth any more ...very floppy...

I'm not a handy guy BUT I did get some wrenches take the thing off and inspected the rollers...they will have to be replaced which I will do by ordering some new ones.

I did notice that one of the bottom two rollers was slightly "gouged" in one area while both actually showed flat spots. Top roller had a piece missing as well. So part of the issue will be swapping those out for new ones.

That was bit of a surprise but flat spots indeed. I read today that the company suggests maybe an extra roller or two in the bottom position if one is heavy. I'm 250 pounds. Fair to say that is wise advice??

I just want to figure out how many new rollers I should order...a minimum of 3 or maybe 4 depending on what you guys suggest or could it 5?? And what about any other parts I should replace to keep this seat sliding perfectly again.

The other problem I am having is when I tightened the seat back up it was as sloppy as ever. Hmmmmm why is that??
I mean the nuts and bolts where tight and I couldn't figure out what I might have done wrong.

I love my model 2...I've had it since about 1994 and it keep this soon-to-be 61 year old fairly fit!!

Thanks for any all help and I'm glad to be on board.

Steve1960VA
2k Poster

Re: Need Help For My Model B

Post by Steve1960VA » April 7th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Regarding the rollers, and flat spots on rollers, and number of rollers, I can say that I'm approaching 3 million meters on my ~2.25-year old Model D and it has the rollers that came on it and they're still fine, as best I can tell. Very smooth travel up and down the rail.

For much of those 3 million meters I was very near your weight.

I wasn't aware more rollers could be put in place. Mine has whatever came on it new, one forward and one aft, I suppose (I don't pay much attention to that...).

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :)
Male. Virginia, USA. Born 1960. 6'4" (1.93 m). 210 pounds (95 kg). C2 Model D, PM 5 (original model).

Am erging for fitness.

taveewat
Paddler

Post by taveewat » April 8th, 2017, 8:25 pm

I think replace only 3 seat rollers are enough.

Cyclist2
10k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » April 10th, 2017, 2:37 pm

unclefester wrote:The other problem I am having is when I tightened the seat back up it was as sloppy as ever. Hmmmmm why is that??I mean the nuts and bolts where tight and I couldn't figure out what I might have done wrong.
If you are really heavy, three rollers on the top might be useful, but two is standard. You'll need one for the bottom as well.

The bottom roller has a choice of three sets of holes to mount it in. You'll see that they are not level, allowing you to tighten or loosen the seat on the rail. With the old, worn out rollers, don't mess with that, but once you get the new rollers, you can play with that adjustment to get it snug but still smooth rolling.

Good luck, and have fun!
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » April 11th, 2017, 8:18 am

Models A and B have smaller seat rollers than subsequent machines- smaller width, diameter and bearings. We learned from that and upsized them for The Model C. it's likely that your bottom roller does not need replacing, and the extra top roller really isn't necessary for your weigh. So I'd suggest two rollers for the top positions. And be sure not to overtighten the nuts- you want to compress the rubber washers just a bit. C2JonW
72 year old grandpa living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee 1980-2018! and what a long, strange trip it's been......

unclefester
Paddler

Post by unclefester » April 19th, 2017, 8:26 pm

We I'm so glad to report back..(I'm the OP) that I received the new parts I ordered for my model B and it now runs like a Cadillac!!

I've got use of two model D's at my gym but I would never get rid of my grand old model B...love it...

Three new seat rollers accompanied by the appropriate hardware, washers, spacers etc. and it's smooth sailing!

Don't know if any/many of you folks have had to order parts from the Concept 2 folks in Vermont but it was pleasant enough.

My customer service rep was a Mr. Ben Hickory, a young man who was both professional and helpful.

We had a bit of a chat as he lives and works in Vermont and I used to live in Montreal.

Montreal and Quebec City are party-central for young Vermonters...

So thanks to Ben and thanks to all who responded to me on the thread!