ergdata crashes on iOS 9

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
ukropina
Paddler

ergdata crashes on iOS 9

Post by ukropina » June 25th, 2015, 7:22 pm

ergdata crashes on iOS 9, beta 1 and beta 2 show same issue.
App crashes/gets pushed to background when you try to open it, click on it while in the background, or when you connect it to PM4.
Happens always, on iPhone 6 running iOS 9 beta 1/2 and the latest version of ergdata.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: ergdata crashes on iOS 9

Post by Citroen » June 26th, 2015, 4:36 am

Send an email to rowing@concept2.com with your bug report.

jaredstrauss
Paddler

Post by jaredstrauss » August 21st, 2015, 7:22 pm

it's because the app uses a Bluetooth API that's not available in OS 9. Turn off Bluetooth and the app won't crash. Concept 2 needs to realease an update.

maxinkuckee
Paddler

Post by maxinkuckee » September 8th, 2015, 7:17 pm

This is still inoperable. How do we get it fixed? Thanks

Hollywood_Kuma
1k Poster

Post by Hollywood_Kuma » September 15th, 2015, 4:32 am

iOS 9 is beta software. That means it's out there for testing purposes, it will contain bugs, and many apps will probably crash. Using beta software is always going to be a risk. So, you have (or, rather, had) the option to either wait for the official release and stick with iOS 8.x in the meantime, or go to the iOS 9 beta and accept the risk that some things simply will not work.

If you have gone to the iOS 9 beta and ErgData isn't working, first try updating to the latest iOS beta (9.1) and ensure you are using the latest version of ErgData.

If ErgData still doesn't work, talk to the nice people at Concept 2 (Scott is always very helpful), see if they are currently working on this and, if so, when they think it will be resolved.

If a solution from Concept 2 isn't imminent, you have the option of simply waiting it out, or reverting to the Concept 2 cable ($35) which, if you are using a lightning style port as found on later generation iPhones/iPads, will also require a 30 pin to lightning adapter (~$30) from Apple (cheaper generic adapters may not work).

If Concept 2 doesn't have an imminent solution, you don't want the cost and complexity of a cable, and you aren't prepared to wait it out, then you need to revert back to iOS 8.x (hopefully you made either an iCloud or iTunes backup before installing the iOS 9 beta). There are many guides online that explain how to do this.

Using beta software will always be a calculation of risk/benefit and, sadly, it seems in this case you've been unlucky in that the test software isn't compatible with the app.

I hope this is at least of some help.

Hollywood_Kuma
1k Poster

Post by Hollywood_Kuma » September 17th, 2015, 3:04 am

As a follow-up, Apple released the production version of iOS 9 today. So, the onus is now on Concept 2 to get ErgData to work with this. Scott is the helpful guy at Concept 2 who normally gets this kind of stuff fixed.

Peter Alberts
Paddler

Post by Peter Alberts » September 17th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Installed ios9 and the ErgData app crashes. Is there a fix?

Sevenfeet
Paddler

Post by Sevenfeet » September 17th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Yup, crashed for me too. Turning off Bluetooth and going to USB is a pretty lousy workaround.

RBFC
1k Poster

Post by RBFC » September 18th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Send an email to scotth @ concept2.com and ask for the Ergdata iOS9 beta release. I installed it and it opens without crashing. Will test it on the rower later today.

Lee

Egret
Paddler

Post by Egret » September 20th, 2015, 4:00 pm

As above I sent an email to Scott Hamilton and got this response from him.

Thanks for the above email:)
If you have inquired about the ErgData "Beta" program for iOS 9 here is some information you should know:
1) ErgData will run if you turn off Bluetooth. I suggest turning off Bluetooth, 'sync' any workouts.
2) If you delete ErgData from your phone, your database of workouts will be deleted along with it.
3) I will add your name to the 'beta test' list typically within 24 hours. If you do not get an inviataion from "TestFlight" in 1-2 business days, please check your SPAM folder and then write to me again.
4) When you get the invitation, please click through and follow the instructions.
5) There may be an issue with adding "comments" to a workout. Please avoid this feature for now, when v 1.2.39(13) is made available, you can try this new feature again.
6) Concept2 has already submitted a version of ErgData to the Apple App Store, we are awaiting Apple's approval. This process can take some time - for your interest see http://appreviewtimes.com/ and understand that these are "Average" review times.
7) Concept2 welcomes your comments on ErgData. Telling us about problems in detail is helpful for product improvement.
8) Your email will remain on the Beta list unless your ask me to remove it. You will get notices of future 'beta test' updates. You can of course choose to load them or not. Within the next 30-90 days, Concept2 plans to upgrade the Online Logbook (ranking) pages and database to include more detailed information. Your continued participation in the Beta program and providing feedback is appreciated.

Please note I will be out of office September 28-October 4. If urgent, call my cell 802 279-6753 or email again with "URGENT" in the title.

RBFC
1k Poster

Post by RBFC » September 20th, 2015, 11:55 pm

The beta firmware worked perfectly on my iPhone 6+. It still retained the workouts I'd done before the update to iOS9, and it read heart rate, etc data just fine. It also synced to the online logbook without problems. Don't know about adding comments yet.

Lee

c2scott
2k Poster

Post by c2scott » September 21st, 2015, 5:07 pm

Concept2 has pushed a new copy of ErgData to the App store, it is now waiting for approval. This process takes a variable amount of time. You can write to me or to rowing@concept2.com and we will put you on the "beta" list. Today, that Beta copy is the same as submitted to the App store. There are very few known issues found so far, but if we fix them now this will delay the App store version. After the App store version goes live, Concept2 will have further 'beta' editions with fixes and improvements. There are some good changes coming in the next few months, and I really appreciate feedback from Beta users.

c2scott
2k Poster

Post by c2scott » September 22nd, 2015, 5:57 pm

Well, it's moved forward to "In Review". I expect another 1-2 days and it will go live in the Apple App Store.

RBFC
1k Poster

Post by RBFC » September 22nd, 2015, 8:56 pm

When the app goes live, should we replace the beta version with the "official" version? Will the ensuing fixes & updates work with the beta version?

Thanks,

Lee

c2scott
2k Poster

Post by c2scott » September 22nd, 2015, 9:06 pm

At the moment, the Beta 1.2.39(12) and the soon to be approved App Store version is the same build.
Either way (Store version or beta) should work. There will of course be future "beta test" updates with bug fixes and enhancements.