PM5 did not record my timed piece

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
dave2013
Paddler

PM5 did not record my timed piece

Post by dave2013 » March 25th, 2015, 3:35 pm

This morning I did a 2K warm up; a 500m piece, a 2K recovery, a 1K test; and a 2K cool down. The 1K test was not recorded by the PM5 but all the other pieces were. How can this be?

The same thing happened to me on a 2K piece back on 3/18/15. I have been ergging for several years and before theses two incidents this never happen before. When I complete the specified distance for a piece, the PM5 always stops and records the results for that distance automatically.

I got a new Model D Concept 2 in January and I replaced a defective PM5 at the end of February. Last week I went through a firmware upgrade for the PM5.

Has anyone else experienced similar behavior? Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: PM5 did not record my timed piece

Post by Citroen » March 25th, 2015, 4:17 pm

What firmware version are you running?
If the workout is missing from your USB stick is it hiding in the PM5 memory?

jan_zov
Paddler

Post by jan_zov » March 25th, 2015, 4:23 pm

See other thread ....

Re: New PM5 Firmware 18 available
Postby jan_zov » March 25th, 2015, 9:58 am

Same problem here. I now do the workouts without USB-stick plugged in the PM5. Afterwards i copy the workouts to the stick. So far no problem.
USB stick plugged in the PM5 during workouts gives problems. PM5 hangs (once - had to reset the PM5) or fails to save the workouts. I even lost a workout.

Heartrate monitor: still have to confirm and connect the bluetooth Runtastic monitor each time i start to workout. Even after pause (bluetooth out of reach?) i have to reconnect the monitor.

I hope the guys keep on improving the firmware while we are rowing ...

dave2013
Paddler

Post by dave2013 » March 25th, 2015, 11:32 pm

Thanks for everyone's input.

The Firmware version of my PM5 is 18 and the hardware version is 412.

As I mentioned before, this has never happened before until I got a replacement PM5 at the end of February. The previous PM5 worked fine for the 2 months I used it.

This is the second time it has happened. The first time I thought it was just a fluke. Today I set the workout for standard distance of 1K, did the piece and was able to see my time at completion. Everything looked normal. At that point I'm not sure whether I just started rowing again as part of my cool down or whether I pressed "Menu" to go back and do my cool down under "Just Row". Either way, I don't think it should matter, once the piece is done (distance completed) it should be recorded.

When I go back to check the PM5 memory, it shows all of other pieces but not the 1K piece. It's just missing, like it never happened. A 500m piece that I did as a warm up earlier was recorded by the PM5 just fine.

Both times it failed to record a "Select Workout" piece, not a 'Just Row" piece. The first failure I had selected 2K as the distance and the second time I selected 1K.

The first time it happened on 3/18 was before I upgraded the firmware to version 18. Today, 3/25, it happened after I upgraded the firmware to version 18.

This is a pretty serious problem. I got a PB today for a 1K and it did not record. Imagine the frustration I feel after all the effort I put into rowing that piece and then having nothing to show for it. I remember what my time was but I can't go back and check my splits to see how I rowed the piece. To make matters worse, I am part of a group of oarsmen training for the San Diego Crew Classic on Sunday. We live all over Southern California and cannot train together on the water often so we have prescribed erg workouts. We post pics of our PM screens showing our times and splits in an email chain to keep motivated. But today I have absolutely nothing to show for that kick-ass piece I rowed this morning. Extremely frustrating.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to be able to rely on this equipment?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 26th, 2015, 3:31 am

Write an email to rowing@concept2.com and report your bug that way.

dblinden
Paddler

Post by dblinden » March 26th, 2015, 5:55 pm

+1 Here. Just to provide another example, am using v18 and not consistently getting workouts transferred to flash drive when finished. Menu button pressed and hourglass display indicates it should be working. For reference, not using iPhone, Android, Ergdata, RowPro, Garmin or any Bluetooth devices. Very plain as you can get set-up. Not seeing odd error messages since updating to v18 as I did in all previous versions, but I never had this failure to record data until now. Am able to transfer data from PM memory, but expect it may not be there sometime. Love the rower, but after 6 months, getting annoyed with the software.

Dennis L

dave2013
Paddler

Post by dave2013 » March 26th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Thanks Citroen. I will submit the issue to Tech Support and let you know what I hear.

Just a quick update: today I did 4x500m with a warm up and some cool downs and everything was recorded properly. So the problem is intermittent and not reproducible.

I checked my log closer and discovered there were 3 times, not 2 like I mentioned earlier, that a piece failed to record. All of these occurred on or after 3/17/15. Two of these times were “Select Workout - Known Distance” pieces and one was a warm up piece under “Just Row.” But sometime a “Just Row” piece will not record if you pull the USB drive from the monitor before you hit the “menu” button. This is not an issue for “Select Workout” pieces which should record automatically after the distance or time is completed.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 26th, 2015, 7:43 pm

There was always a minimum time for a "Just Row" to bother recording it. You also can't be sure it will be recorded unless you finish the "Just Row" with a press on the [BACK/MENU] button.

dave2013
Paddler

Post by dave2013 » April 18th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Just a quick follow up. Apparently the failure to record is a known issue with the USB drive. There are a couple of work-arounds. If you want to use the USB drive, give the system plenty of time to recognize the USB stick when you start. Make sure you see the logon welcome screen before you start rowing (the one with your lifetime meters on it). A better solution for me is to switch to the Ergdata app for your mobile phone. The cradle to attach your phone to the PM5 is now available from Concept 2, You don't need a cable, it's all wireless. My iphone 5 has always recognized the PM5 immediately. Just turn on the PM5 wireless (under Option), load the Ergdata app on your phone and you're off to the races. A big advantage of ErgData is you get more metrics. I particularly like the stroke count readout but you also get peak force, average force, drive length, drive speed, and drag factor for each stroke. You also have two screens now (the PM5 and the phone) which I like because you can monitor both your 500m pace and wattage output simultaneously. When you're done with your workout, simply hit the sync button in the app and everything is uploaded to the online Concept2 Log automatically; no messing with physically transferring a USB stick or logging on to a computer. The Ergdata maintains a record of all you workouts on your phone and you can click on an individual piece to drill down to your split times which you can view by pace, watts or calories. As you can tell, I love this thing. :D

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » April 19th, 2015, 3:28 am

Try updating your firmware to V19.

nika01
Paddler

Post by nika01 » April 19th, 2015, 4:07 pm

V19 isnt any better in this regard. Lost 2K this morning. I had the USB stick in because its the only way I have found to easily make my own list of workouts. Wont be doing that again. The whole USB concept is a nice idea, but the folks at Concept2 have not got the programing horsepower or hardware in the PM5 to actually make this bulletproof. The lost workout was not in the PM5 memory either. It was just gone. I really wish they would make it such that you can customize the thing for people that own one, instead of having to go through the business of pushing several buttons to attach the HRM, etc. How hard can it be?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » April 19th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Was it a "Just Row" or a programmed distance/time or programmed intervals workout?

At the end of your "Just Row" did you press the back button?

ChrisPBacon
500m Poster

Post by ChrisPBacon » April 19th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Where did you see V19?

C2 site says V18 is the most recent.

http://www.concept2.com/service/monitor ... e/timeline

I have Beta V18.9 installed now but it has problems with custom/favorite workouts. Turns distance into time.
199 cm, 99 kg, 47 yrs, started rowing 11/2014

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » April 19th, 2015, 8:05 pm

My copy of the Concept2 Utility (v6.94) offered it this morning.

ChrisPBacon
500m Poster

Post by ChrisPBacon » April 19th, 2015, 8:13 pm

Hmm..mine still says 18.9 is the latest. Maybe it was pulled.
199 cm, 99 kg, 47 yrs, started rowing 11/2014