rowing shoes for indoor machines?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
sniglet
Paddler

rowing shoes for indoor machines?

Post by sniglet » March 29th, 2015, 12:16 am

Does anyone know if there are specialized rowing shoes available for use with indoor rowing machines?

The constant flexing of my feet (with my heels moving up and down against the back of the shoe) as I row my Precor Concept 2 is eating the heel linings on my shoes at a tremendous rate. I need to buy new running shoes every 6 weeks to prevent my heels from rubbing against the plastic and bleeding. I have tried buying adhesive heel protectors but they don't work either. To try and reduce the wear on my heel linings I am tying the laces so incredibly tight (to prevent slippage) that I lose circulation to my feet and have sore feet all the time now.

I would gladly buy some shoes designed to flex easier when rowing (so that my heels don't slip) or with stronger heel linings to avoid having to buy new shoes all the time. I know that there are rowing shoes built for sculling but I don't see how I can use those on my indoor Concept 2.

Any suggestions?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: rowing shoes for indoor machines?

Post by Citroen » March 29th, 2015, 5:02 am

sniglet wrote:... Precor Concept 2 ...
What on earth is that?
Is it a Brand-X rower?

The genuine Concept2 rowers have a flexible foot stretcher that moves as you row.
http://www.concept2.com/news/foot-position-primer

Simple solution, row with bare feet.

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster

Post by lindsayh » March 29th, 2015, 5:18 am

the running shoe has a thick inflexible sole and that will be at least part of the problem. Don't need thick soles of course
Don't know about the "Precor" part either? Maybe the foot strechers are different?
Nike have a nice very light shoe called Zero I think and I use a Merrell that is very light and very flexible and has done several million metres at least with no heel problems. I am sure there are plenty of others
Lindsay
72yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

stroke
Paddler

Post by stroke » March 29th, 2015, 7:34 am

I have never rowed both on and off the water in anything but socks for the last 55 years. I wash them every million metres whether they need it or not.

AndyGadget
Paddler

Post by AndyGadget » March 29th, 2015, 8:48 am

I come from a water rowing background (long time ago) and when I later bought a Model B, I modified the footplate to use attached shoes, as I was used to in a boat. I drilled a hole through the ergo footplate (wooden on the model B ), attaching the trainers by means of a large headed, domed bolt through the centre of the sole, under the insole, locking the nuts so that the shoes were just allowed to swivel. I row with the laces undone and straps loose, and as the main flex of the sole is before the bolt they have lasted well.
Why don't you just buy a pair of soft-soled trainers and use those purely for the rowing?
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG (67.41 KiB) Viewed 15677 times
IMG_0554.JPG
IMG_0554.JPG (30.65 KiB) Viewed 15677 times
Age 57 - Height 6'2" - Weight 14st 0lb
Model B - PM5 - RowPro

loghouse
Paddler

Post by loghouse » March 30th, 2015, 3:40 pm

I use Vibram Five Fingers.

kenelson
Paddler

Post by kenelson » May 8th, 2015, 9:13 am

I use wrestling shoes. Plenty of flex and no issues.

sekitori
2k Poster

Post by sekitori » May 8th, 2015, 9:06 pm

I’ve been wearing Nike Zoom Streak LT2 racing flats for about a year. They’re good shoes to use with the erg because they’re very light (only 5.5 oz. per shoe), they flex well, and they have minimal cushioning.

I only use these shoes for rowing with the C2. I wear them for nothing else and they may be the only racing flats ever sold that have never been worn outdoors. Because of their high quality and limited use, I expect them to last a very long time. The only negative is that some of the color combinations look fairly hideous, but that's of no importance.

Nike has newer models of racing flats, most of them only slightly heavier, with some in the same $75.00 price range I paid for the LT2. Unfortunately, like the LT2, many of the colors available are also kind of ugly. If you’re interested in a high quality shoe that’s good for indoor rowing, racing flats from Nike or other major manufacturers may be the way to go.

dwalk
2k Poster

Post by dwalk » May 8th, 2015, 11:32 pm

I use Vibrams on the erg and used them on the water during a few corporate seasons.
47-5'11"-178-180lbs
Concept 2 certified trainer
PB's 100-14.2(2017) 500 1:21.8(2016) 2k 6:29(2015)

frenchtouch
Paddler

Post by frenchtouch » May 24th, 2015, 5:13 pm

New Balance MT10

grahamcawood
Paddler

Post by grahamcawood » April 29th, 2016, 3:08 am

I erg 30 minutes daily using a cheap pair of sports shoes with a 20mm wooden block screwed under the heels. This allows for constant heel contact during the stroke. The blocks could, I suppose, be attached to the erg, under the heel of the flexible footplate. I wear fresh socks daily.
The idea is to reduce lower leg muscle use(save that energy for better things),and might help you with heel wear problems.
Why not simply change the angle of the footplate to allow constant heel contact, although this can't be normally done on the erg? Because this would probably result in an excessive movement of the foot along the footplate,and blisters etc. The common near 44' angle of the footplate , mainly under the ball of the foot, seems to be most comfortable.
My boat has a similar fitting. Since our only direct contact with the boat is through the feet and backside, a full foot contact will give a better feel, and help balance.
Hope this helps.