PM5 is here ...

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
ehagberg
1k Poster

Re: PM5 is here ...

Post by ehagberg » December 2nd, 2014, 7:02 am

RBFC wrote:I received a new email from C2 customer service and they state that the PM5 will be available as a retrofit for Model D rowers in December. Price is $180. Guess I can wait til then. Too bad I'll have to manually enter my rows in my logbook until then.

Lee
Did they happen to say when in December? :wink:

kyleaa
Paddler

Post by kyleaa » December 2nd, 2014, 10:39 pm

ehagberg wrote: Did they happen to say when in December? :wink:
The first time I asked it was "Late October/Early November" so I wouldn't hold my breath for early December...

https://twitter.com/concept2/status/534741587214217217

RBFC
1k Poster

Post by RBFC » December 3rd, 2014, 12:21 am

ehagberg wrote:
RBFC wrote:I received a new email from C2 customer service and they state that the PM5 will be available as a retrofit for Model D rowers in December. Price is $180. Guess I can wait til then. Too bad I'll have to manually enter my rows in my logbook until then.

Lee
Did they happen to say when in December? :wink:
Nope.

Lee

sunship
Paddler

Post by sunship » December 9th, 2014, 10:03 am

I just spoke with them -- they're shipping next week -- :)

RBFC
1k Poster

Post by RBFC » December 10th, 2014, 12:03 am

sunship wrote:I just spoke with them -- they're shipping next week -- :)
Mine has already shipped!

Lee

ehagberg
1k Poster

Post by ehagberg » December 10th, 2014, 7:37 am

How much? Since they still aren't visible in the online shop.

sunship
Paddler

Post by sunship » December 10th, 2014, 11:47 am

they're $180.

ehagberg
1k Poster

Post by ehagberg » December 10th, 2014, 2:36 pm

sunship wrote:they're $180.
$180 for a replacement or a retrofit? (the PM4 for example is $130 for a replacement when you've already got a PM3 or PM4, but $150 if it's a retrofit).

Emm
Paddler

Post by Emm » December 16th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Just as an update on the backlight - in the meantime, I got used to the fact that the light switches off quite quickly after the row is finished. This inconvenience is rather little compared to the great advantage of having the backlight whilst rowing. As I am using an erg also in hotel/public gyms and see how staff and people handle the machines, I think, it's a trade off to accept - as I am pretty sure that most public gym rowers will forget to switch the light off.

In my case, I am not even planning to have any additional light attached to the rower - I have a this nice little light from this big swedish furniture store, Fryebo, which I then take, just for writing things down (I could alo take off the USB stick and take the data from there I guess, but I try to keep my rowing low tech).

RBFC
1k Poster

Post by RBFC » December 18th, 2014, 12:55 am

The PM5 retrofit for Model D/E rowers is $180 + shipping. I received mine yesterday and it works perfectly. The back light is much appreciated. The use of the USB flash thumb drive is easy, both for loading firmware updates (none done yet) and transferring data to your online logbook. The Bluetooth Heart Rate function worked perfectly with my Polar H7 transmitter and belt (better than the older heart rate dongle, which suffered occasional dropouts). Battery replacement will be simple. The layout of the inputs on the back of the monitor is far superior to the tight arrangement under the PM3; easier to plug things in, and easier to to connect many lines at once. There are two race-software ports, the USB port for firmware/data transfer, and the USB port for plugging in the thumb drive. The only port on the bottom is the rower-to-monitor connecting cable. C2 includes a new monitor arm (the part where the monitor mounts on the rower), as it has an extra hole in its side near the monitor end to route the rower cable slickly to the monitor. The arm should be replaced with the new one when adding the PM5.

Initial setup of date/time/user name, etc. is very easy, and uses the same navigation buttons as those for setting distances, etc. for workouts. Under "More Options", you find the Bluetooth Heart Rate pairing function, where the monitor searches for available Bluetooth heart rate belts and prompts you to connect them. Simple, & worked perfectly.

As for the firmware, my monitor came loaded with version 15. Apparently, version 16 was released last week, but C2 removed it from the website after encountering a few problems with it. They expect to re-release it soon with corrections. Remember that you must download the newest version of the C2 Utility software (6.80) from the C2 site in order to communicate properly with the PM5. You will see the additional features and options using the USB Logbook, etc. when you open the new Utility and insert your thumb drive into your computer. The workout downloads work exactly as before, etc., but you must log in to your online logbook account all over again so the download will transfer to the correct logbook. All the necessary prompts appear to guide you through the process easily.

So, you get the monitor and a new mounting arm with bolts in the package. Simple instructions are included, mostly to ensure you route the rower/monitor cable correctly through the new arm. According to C2, you must supply your own thumb drive.

Hope this helps.

Lee

6co2000
Paddler

Post by 6co2000 » December 19th, 2014, 8:38 am

Ver 16 works beautifully.
Could connect both my Garmin watches to it for recording the workout. That was missing in ver 15.

ChrisPBacon
500m Poster

Post by ChrisPBacon » December 19th, 2014, 1:43 pm

I have also been running version 16 for a few days without issues. Do you know what the issue with 16 is?

I was told to update to 16 because 15 was freezing on the power curve screen.
199 cm, 99 kg, 47 yrs, started rowing 11/2014

RBFC
1k Poster

Post by RBFC » December 20th, 2014, 1:32 am

I called C2 the day I posted this, and they told me that they took V16 down from the website because of identified issues. I believe it was not allowing the PM5 to turn on after the update was performed. I'll check the website again this weekend and see if they have put the corrected version back up.

Lee

jag
1k Poster

Post by jag » December 21st, 2014, 4:39 pm

So I just placed an order for a PM5 to upgrade a Model B. Does anyone know how the backlight is handled on one of the older model ergs that have no generator?

keith7747
Paddler

Post by keith7747 » December 23rd, 2014, 2:46 pm

Greetings all !
Well I am very new to the Concept2 Rower, and very glad I ordered it with the PM5 about 2 weeks ago.
I had ordered my machine off of Amazon by first ordering it with the PM4. Then canceled the order within 20 minutes to order the PM5.
I like the fact that the PM5 will take my iPhone 5s and my HR Strap with the bluetooth and ANT+. ALSO like the ERG DATA app. Nice to have it speak out what is going on. Not much on looking at the PM the whole time.
I had issues with the monitor within the first few days, and contacted the support team. Will was very helpful. After a few emails and over the phone talks, he sent me another monitor. So far it's all working well.
I do wish the backlight would stay on longer, or have something to plug it in to keep it lit.
For me to do the UPGRADE in firmware, I had to connect the Monitor to my computer, because using the flash drive, will not work for that, even thoe they say it does, it didn't.
Make sure you have the FIRMWARE UPDATE 16 on your PM5.
keith
Aspire to Ride Higher, Ride a High Wheel